Roadtec 01 HWM

Africord

• Member Contributer

My Angel GTs are about toast, and I'm thinking that with my touring bias, I would go to the Metzeler Roadtec 01. The application guide on Metzeler's site says that if I want to run the Roadtec 01 on the rear of my 6th gen, I should use the HWM (Heavy Weight Machine) version of the 180/55R17.  I've been through two sets of PR2s and the aforementioned Angel GTs, and I've never run the "A", "GT", "B" version of any of these tires.  What say you?  HWM or regular version?

• Member Contributer

I would only consider HWM if you ride a lot of two up or there is something special about the 01's.  The VFR is a little porky but not exactly ST1300 territory.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

I have the Roadtecs on my 5G, replacing Z8 metzelers. They are a nice neutral feeling tyre, comfy riding, very confidence inspiring, seem to be wearing better (less) than the Z8s. 

56 minutes ago, Terry said:

I have the Roadtecs on my 5G, replacing Z8 metzelers. They are a nice neutral feeling tyre, comfy riding, very confidence inspiring, seem to be wearing better (less) than the Z8s. 

Nice to know, are your the regular or HWM ( Heavy Weight Motorcycle )  versions ?

It's interesting places like Jake Wilson indicate both are suitable for the  VFR800 though other tire selectors recommend the HWM only and and UK Metzeler site just shows the regular version ?

• Member Contributer

Just the regular types; the VFR is hardly a heavyweight! That would be my 330kg ST1100!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...
On Sun Mar 12 2017 at 0:04 PM, Terry said:

Just the regular types; the VFR is hardly a heavyweight! That would be my 330kg ST1100!

The fitting dealer recommended and installed the standard 01s front and rear, to early to make a judgment  myself, interestingly I'd fired off emails a few weeks ago to US Metzeler & the Oz Metzeler distributor on their recommendations and the US came back as HWM rear and the Oz Standard rear ?

• Member Contributer

This brings us around full circle to the original comment.  I mounted the normal versions on my 6th gen. I think the only way we are going to know is make our own decisions and share the results.

• Member Contributer

Just by way of a comparison, I fitted a set of Bridgestone T30 Evo's onto my VTR1000F and put a few km on them in the weekend. Compared to my VFR on the Roadtecs, the T30's seem to be harder riding and a bit more tippy feeling in corners. The Roadtec's are a more relaxed feeling tyre, a bit more neutral steering/slightly slower. The T30's took more break-in work than I expected with a few small slides from the back end until they got properly scuffed; never had that from the Roadtecs. 

Below is my reply from Metzeler US, seems reasonable.

" The HWM tier is an option for folks who may ride 2 up, have accessorized their vehicles or prefer the 2 ply carcass on heavier displacement machines.

When checking our fitment information, (we are trained to use US files for US inquiries) I see the HWM specified for your rear tire so we suggest the following fitments below:

VFR800Fi / ABS Interceptor 98-15 front part no. 2669800 120/70ZR17 (58W) TL Roadtec 01- rear part no. 2681300 180/55ZR17 (73W) TL Roadtec 01 HWM

Kindest regards,

Metzeler Team "

Below is my reply from Metzelers Oz distributor, if a little brief also seems reasonable although differs from the US reply in actual recommendation for my gen 5 VFR800.

" Metzeler recommends the normal tyres unless you are doing majority of pillion/ full heavy luggage riding.

Kind regards,

Cassons Pty Ltd "

Archived