rear view mirrors

• Member Contributer

the rubber 'boots' of my mirrors are not a very good fit at the base of them,they are loose,having a look at them yesterday it looks to me that there is a 'lip' around the circumference of the boot,does it clip over the metal mounting of the mirror??,if so how hard is it to get it to fit as mine look like there is no where near enough gap to get them to latch in place,or am I being stupid?(quite possibly)

• Member Contributer

Yep, the lip of the rubber "condom" fits over the base. The trick is to adjust the stalk so ithere's no tension on the rubber piece. That's the way I've done mine and it stays put no problem.

Sorta what he says^     But if they have been outside most of their life and UV'd,  They may be a bit sloppy hence they won't stay put.  I've seen that  be the problem.  But yea,  they slip over the lip on the mounting washer there on the base.

• Member Contributer

My right mirror fell off today on Mt Hamilton - had to walk back and get it, glass is now broken. The 1200 is out of commission and the SV650 race bike won't start. DRZ is the only one left that is good to go.............Wow, looks like they are still available ($90).....I will try welding it back together first!

http://www.partzilla.com/parts/detail/honda/HP-88110-MV9-003ZA.html

2 hours ago, RC1237V said:

My right mirror fell off today on Mt Hamilton - had to walk back and get it, glass is now broken. The 1200 is out of commission and the SV650 race bike won't start. DRZ is the only one left that is good to go.............Wow, looks like they are still available ($90).....I will try welding it back together first!

http://www.partzilla.com/parts/detail/honda/HP-88110-MV9-003ZA.html

That's a long list of other bikes that use the same mirror. I had no idea. There's probably lots in the junkyards.

• Member Contributer

Hahahaha, I wish they all just needed a mirror. The 1200 needs radiator, fork seals, 15K valve service, air and oil filters, oil change, diff fluid, and any other 15K items. I have a few custom upgrades as well, will post pics when done.

The SV650 race bike hopefully only needs carbs rebuilt, only runs on full choke.

3rd gen needs mirror, will weld, but probably replace with bar end mirrors as I noticed the lack of weight was way more than I thought when it fell off, maybe just mental, but seemed substantial. The mount, shaft, and hardware are all steel.

The DRZ has new Dunlop D606's front and rear, so it's ready to go. Just not that fun on the roads with so many other road bikes, way better off road. Not bad on highway 1, or connector roads, but slightly annoying on any straight roads, or freeways, with the knobbies on it.

Finishing up a car transmission rebuild right now, so bikes are next...I work better if I do one thing at a time........

• Member Contributer

thanks for the replies will have a go at trying to get them to fit,still looks helluva tight fit,the back has spent a lot of time in storage by previous owners so hopefully UV will not be a problem,one owner did 9 miles in 8 years!

• Member Contributer

The Y2K mirrors fit the RC36s just fine, and everyone knows condoms just ain't as nice... :happy:

Ciao,

21 hours ago, RC1237V said:

Hahahaha, I wish they all just needed a mirror. The 1200 needs radiator, fork seals, 15K valve service, air and oil filters, oil change, diff fluid, and any other 15K items. I have a few custom upgrades as well, will post pics when done.

The SV650 race bike hopefully only needs carbs rebuilt, only runs on full choke.

3rd gen needs mirror, will weld, but probably replace with bar end mirrors as I noticed the lack of weight was way more than I thought when it fell off, maybe just mental, but seemed substantial. The mount, shaft, and hardware are all steel.

The DRZ has new Dunlop D606's front and rear, so it's ready to go. Just not that fun on the roads with so many other road bikes, way better off road. Not bad on highway 1, or connector roads, but slightly annoying on any straight roads, or freeways, with the knobbies on it.

Finishing up a car transmission rebuild right now, so bikes are next...I work better if I do one thing at a time........

Funny how things go.... My RC51 needs a new Brembo CNC master cylinder as the old one gets air in it through use and as far as I know, Brembo don't sell new seals. The VFR is working fine but I have other projects to begin & complete on it.
The NSR250 project is in lots of boxes occupying the underside of our dining table. The CRM250R has a leaky fork seal and the clutch is beginning to slip...  Only the least likely to be reliable - the Husky Motard in perfect health and ready to use any time, that is - after getting the side stand welded after it broke.

Our daily driver needs a transmission swap, as internal clutches are getting worn out too, not even mentioning other car projects!

My excuse is that our new workshop has been under construction and it's been bloody cold. TBH the Husky's probably the most entertaining to ride on local country roads here, but I hope to get on with the NSR next when the workshop's done and the wood stove for it is up & running!   

• Member Contributer

had a good look at the mirrors today and thought that there is no way that the rubber boot will fit over the metal plate,I took the mirror off and thought that the metal plate and rubber gasket looked to be in the wrong place and swopped them round and it works!,the metal plate was against the bodywork and the rubber gasket was next to the mirror base,is that wrong?,it looked wrong to me and now I have both boots fitting round the metal plate and "pushed"over the lip just fine,my first repair to the bike since I bought it 5 months ago,quite chuffed

Awe,  yes you did good there,  not only does the base washer need to be right side up,  there is also a left and right to them, they are an offset oval shape.   Good to hear you figured that out. ;)   Can't help but to agree, the condom less mirrors are way better. But tricky to get fitted,  Honda only made them for two years on the 5th gen  it's the base you need to fit onto the 750. From that a lot of mirrors then will fit.

• Member Contributer

thanks for the video,that is how mine are now as I said before the metal 'plate' was against the bodywork and had no space for the boot,annoyed that is seemed such a shitty fit as the VFR is brilliantly made

On 2/28/2017 at 0:20 PM, RVFR said:

Awe,  yes you did good there,  not only does the base washer need to be right side up,  there is also a left and right to them, they are an offset oval shape.   Good to hear you figured that out. ;)   Can't help but to agree, the condom less mirrors are way better. But tricky to get fitted,  Honda only made them for two years on the 5th gen  it's the base you need to fit onto the 750. From that a lot of mirrors then will fit.

I put a set of Emgo 00-01 mirrors on my 94. Any idea if the base would be exactly the same as Honda bases? This is the first I heard about using other mirrors on the bases. I just don't expect the Emgo mirrors to last more than a couple years before getting droopy.

The trick is getting just the base. Any after market mirror for the 2000-01 vfr 800 should work.  E bay has many,  just depends on what you want for the money. I took my time, found the mirrors used, but oem.   For me it wasn't so much about the mirror part,  But getting the base seems kinda funny to buy new mirrors then not use the whole thing. but I had a look i wanted and knew the coarse,  so it took a while,  but got it done. Yes with the base in place you have a lot of choices in the mirror you would prefer. The 5th gen base off the 00-01will fit the 4th gens  it's the only version that does.  6th gens don't fit. As far as option go with mirrors,  most will fit the base,  one might need a washer shim, but even the oem ones do,  so in that one can pick what they would like.

Mine  with oem F4i mirror on left. compared to  2000 on right.

DSCF0618_zpsaogpfflk.jpg

Archived