1984 Vf500 purchase advice

Blake

Hello All, 

I currently own a 2014 vfr800 dlx. Really love it. I have an opportunity to buy a 1984 vf 500. Thought it would be cool to have a first & eight gen. It looks in reasonably good condition but has been sitting since 2001. It has been recently run and ridden. Needs brakes and front tire. It  has a dented tank with surface rust but tank has been treated with anti-rust coating inside . Has 9000 miles. The 64,000 dollar question is what should I expect to pay for it? Seller is asking 1500. 

Thanks for your advice. 

• Member Contributer

Without pics hard to say.  What you describe does not sound like $1500 worth to me.  Mileage is good though.

• Member Contributer

In the Netherlands we say "wat de gek er voor geeft"

(try google translate!  :-)

Keny's '85 VF500F2 (so will full bodywork) as well as mine were <us$1000.....

brrrrrr.thumb.jpg.e15846352ada3bf17f384d1090c7f04a.jpg

You need to budget for suspension as well since the rear will be well past it....

Bottom line is how much disposable income do you have and what feels a right price for YOU.

As I met with the guy selling his RC51, I told him that it would only be a good day if BOTH of us were happy....

+1 with Captain...... we need a pic but it sounds like $750 at best to me......

• Member Contributer

Better than I imagined, but not $1500.  You will be doing more than brakes and a tire like Dutchy said.

Even if it got a new rear tire before being stored, it is now 16 years old.  Fork seals will start leaking.

I think I would be happy-ish at $750, but not over $1000.

The sealed tank would scare me.

• Member Contributer

I have no idea.  But it's rare when it is done properly.  And even when done well, it's a potential failure waiting to happen.

Just keep it in mind.

• Member Contributer

Perhaps.  Who knows what problems got encased in the sealer.  Usually failure is when it starts coming off on the inside and fucking up your fuel system.   Then you're even further in a hole.

Again, who knows.  Could have been the best job ever.  But I would feel better about it if the tank at least looked good.

1 hour ago, Blake said:

Dutchy,

what a fool cares for? Not sure what you mean.

Blake

Almost.. Directly: What a fool gives for it.. So what a fool is willing to pay..

Two years ago we bought three VF's.. One was in excellent condition, just needed a service.. Payed $500 for it/ Second was a runner in similar condition as yours, payed $200 Third one was a non runner with a lot of stuff broken, got it for $100.  

If it was a fully faired FII, yes it would go up in price.. But not the $1500. Or it should be e realy nice one in excellent condition..

• Member Contributer

With rear i meant the shock, it will be leaking or stuck solid.

No disrespect with "gek" to you, whatever someone is willing to pay. :-)

16 minutes ago, Dutchy said:

With rear i meant the shock, it will be leaking or stuck solid.

No disrespect with "gek" to you, whatever someone is willing to pay. :-)

Rear shock. Got it. Also no dis taken, thanks for your advice. 

Thanks Captian 80s for your advice also. 

Ill try to buy the bike at a good deal if I can. Otherwise I'll pass. Seems a good project bike however.  Everyone selling these seem to think that these bikes are more valuable then they are apparently. 

Archived