VFR ride in St. Augustine, Fla - May 20th with vintage bike show!

GatorGreg

• Member Contributer
Hey all, since I'm jealous I can't go to R3 in Cali I decided to do my own scenic ride on the so-called "Daytona Loop" here in Florida on Saturday, May 20th.  In addition, I'll be checking out a vintage motorcycle show featuring Japanese bikes!  Any of you VFR people are welcome to tag along.  If anyone else shows up than I will call it the "G3" for "GatorGreg Groupride" - LOL.   I figure there's got to be a few other people in the southeast who can't make it all the way to Cali for R3, so you're welcome to tag along with me on G3.   I've never done this route before, but I would estimate it would take no more than 2.5 hours plus whatever time is spent at the Castillo.  If you're interested in going please post up here!

Preliminary plan for G3:

Saturday, May 20th

8:00am - 9:00am: Meet and greet at the Murray Bros. Caddyshack at World Golf Village near the intersection of I-95 and International Golf Parkway - address is 455 S. Legacy Trail, St. Augustine

9:00 - about noon:  G3 ride to the "Daytona Loop" which is actually closer to Ormond Beach between Flagler Beach and Daytona Beach.

Rougly noon:  Lunch at the Caddyshack

1:00 - 4:00pm: Check out bikes at the bike show

4:00pm - ?:  Anything goes - I'm not responsible, LOL.  One idea I have though is to repeat the group ride for folks who can't arrive in time for the morning ride - but for the afternoon ride I'd do the Daytona Loop portion in reverse for a new experience. Also, I wouldn't mind ending up at The Columbia for dinner and a mojito or two - one of my favorite restaurants of all time!  http://www.columbiarestaurant.com/Menus-By-Location/Locations/St-Augustine-Historic-District

Tentative G3 route is as follows:

Caddyshack to International Golf Parkway
International Golf Parkway east to U.S. Highway 1
U.S. Highway 1 south to San Marco Ave.
San Marco Ave. south to King St. in St. Augustine.
Possible photo-op break / sight seeing tour of the Castillo de San Marcos while we're there ($10.00 admission)
King St. east across Bridge of Lions to Anastasia Blvd. /A1A/ Ocean Shore Blvd.
A1A / Ocean Shore Blvd. south to High Bridge Road.
Beginning of "Daytona Loop"
High Bridge Road west/north to Walter Boardman Road.
Walter Boardman Road west to Old Dixie Hwy / North Beach Street
Old Dixie Hwy / North Beach Street south to State Road 40 / West Granada Blvd.
State Road 40 / West Granada Blvd. east to John Anderson Drive.
John Anderson Drive north to High Bridge Road.
End of "Daytona Loop"
Back to the Caddyshack at World Golf Village in St. Augustine for lunch

After lunch at Caddyshack we'll check out the 2017 Riding into History Motorcycle Concours (Honoring the Japanese Motorcycle) at the World Golf Village which runs from 10:00am to 4:00pm ($10.00 admission goes to K9's for Warriors) :  https://ridingintohistory.org/
From their website:  "The 18th Annual Riding Into History Concours d’Elegance will feature 300-400 antique, vintage, race and custom bikes from all over America. Last year’s event was a huge success, raising $40,000 for our charity, K9s For Warriors. This year’s event promises to be bigger and better and we hope to match or exceed our donation of last year.  In addition to the array of beautiful bikes, there will be exhibitors, dealers, food, entertainment and exhibitions. And you can meet our Grand Marshals Yvon and Miguel Duhamel!"

Bikes-Under-Trees.jpg

There's also a fancy dinner planned as part of the bike show on Friday the 19th but I haven't decided if I'm going to it or not:  https://ridingintohistory.org/grand-marshal-dinner-registration/

Places to stay overnight:
Camping near St. Augustine:   https://www.visitstaugustine.com/things-to-do/camping  (I've camped at Anastasia State Park on the beach - very nice!)
Hotel at World Golf Village:   http://www.marriott.com/hotels/travel/jaxbr-world-golf-village-renaissance-st-augustine-resort/  (Pretty nice hotel but a little pricey).
Hotel at St. Augustine:  http://www.casamonica.com/  (Awesome hotel with its own private beach club - very expensive but worth it).
(Of course there are hundreds of other places to stay in St. Augustine/Daytona Beach/Orlando area but these are just a few places close by that I have stayed at and can recommend.)

• Member Contributer
1 hour ago, fink said:

Would love to come along. Sadly on dayshift then. 

That's too bad Fink.  I would love to do this at St. Andrews instead of St. Augustine - LOL.

• Member Contributer

Gator I'm in Jax. and would join you for a ride. Just a thought St. Augustine will be a zoo on Memorial day weekend. Was wondering if you knew about "Riding into History" https://ridingintohistory.org/  motorcycle concourse at World Golf Village on the 20th the weekend before. Could still keep same plan for ride in the morning and attend the concourse after the ride. Admission is $10 dollars per rider and the money goes to a good cause (K9's for Warriors) . The theme this year is "Honoring the Japanese motorcycle"  Yvon and Miguel Duhamel are the Grand Marshals and the display of vintage motorcycles is breath taking. I have been the last 4 years and the event gets better every year. The bikes in the parking lot are as interesting as the show its self. Last year Malcom Smith was the grand marshal talked to him for about 10 minutes what a cool guy. But anyway I'm up for what ever you plan count me in.

• Member Contributer
1 hour ago, burnes45 said:

Gator I'm in Jax. and would join you for a ride. Just a thought St. Augustine will be a zoo on Memorial day weekend. Was wondering if you knew about "Riding into History" https://ridingintohistory.org/  motorcycle concourse at World Golf Village on the 20th the weekend before. Could still keep same plan for ride in the morning and attend the concourse after the ride. Admission is $10 dollars per rider and the money goes to a good cause (K9's for Warriors) . The theme this year is "Honoring the Japanese motorcycle"  Yvon and Miguel Duhamel are the Grand Marshals and the display of vintage motorcycles is breath taking. I have been the last 4 years and the event gets better every year. The bikes in the parking lot are as interesting as the show its self. Last year Malcom Smith was the grand marshal talked to him for about 10 minutes what a cool guy. But anyway I'm up for what ever you plan count me in.

Holy crap - that sounds awesome!  I was already getting a little worried about the crowd for Memorial Day because I just checked the Casa Monica Hotel for a room and they are already booked solid that weekend - LOL.

What's the time schedule for the Riding Into History show on the 20th?  I didn't see a start time on the website.  (Edit:  I found the schedule, it's from 10-4).  Sounds like we could ride to the Daytona Loop in the morning and see the show in the afternoon after eating lunch at the Caddyshack around noon?  Are you familiar with the route?  Would we have enough time to stop at the Castillo for a quick tour under my leaving at 9:00 alternative time?  This sounds like an awesome day!

I went ahead and changed the title of this thread to reflect the new date, thanks Burnes!

• Member Contributer
1 hour ago, GatorGreg said:

Holy crap - that sounds awesome!  I was already getting a little worried about the crowd for Memorial Day because I just checked the Casa Monica Hotel for a room and they are already booked solid that weekend - LOL.

What's the time schedule for the Riding Into History show on the 20th?  I didn't see a start time on the website.  Sounds like we could ride to the Daytona Loop in the morning and see the show in the afternoon after eating lunch at the Caddyshack around noon?  Are you familiar with the route?  Would we have enough time to stop at the Castillo for a quick tour under my leaving at 9:00 alternative time?  This sounds like an awesome day!

The gates open at 10 am and I've been there until 4 pm not sure of the official end time . Riding the loop and arriving at noon for lunch would be perfect as this is the how I usually attend the event. I am not familiar with the route and I'm looking forward to a new ride adventure. Unfortunately nothing happens quickly in St. Augustine parking is all ways an issue and a tour of the fort takes an hour after your group is selected which could be 2 or 3 in front of you. Would be a gamble just have to see what is going on when we get there. I'm game for what ever just have to be adaptable and adjust.  Here are a few pictures from last year. 

2016 motorcycle concourse 001.JPG

2016 motorcycle concourse 002.JPG

2016 motorcycle concourse 003.JPG

2016 motorcycle concourse 004.JPG

2016 motorcycle concourse 005.JPG

2016 motorcycle concourse 006.JPG

2016 motorcycle concourse 007.JPG

2016 motorcycle concourse 008.JPG

2016 motorcycle concourse 009.JPG

2016 motorcycle concourse 010.JPG

2016 motorcycle concourse 011.JPG

2016 motorcycle concourse 012.JPG

2016 motorcycle concourse 013.JPG

2016 motorcycle concourse 014.JPG

2016 motorcycle concourse 015.JPG

2016 motorcycle concourse 016.JPG

• Member Contributer

Wow, thanks for all those pics Burnes!  Yeah I was able to find more info on the event times including the dinner the night before. I've added the new info to my first post above.  I went to the Castillo many years ago with my son on a grade school field trip - I remember it was pretty cool with lots of photo ops with the canons overlooking the sea and stuff but there really wasn't all that much to see inside so I thought we might be able to do it in like 45 minutes but that might not be realistic.  But I'd be happy just to get a pic of my VFR with the Castillo in the background - LOL.

• Member Contributer
2 hours ago, BikerBoyNeo said:

I'm down with this, especially since it's near my birthday.

Awesome!  Looking forward to meeting you guys!  I'm starting a list of attendees below - I'll update it as we (hopefully) get more peeps interested in attending.

Who's down with this:

GatorGreg ('14 VFR800 white) Orlando, FL

burnes45 ('97 VFR750)  Jacksonville, FL

BikerBoyNeo  ('14 VFR800 red)  Montgomery, AL

• Member Contributer

Bump - only 77 days to go!  We've now got at least 4 VFRs going :wink:

VFR Dave ('14 VFR800 white)  Orlando, FL

GatorGreg ('14 VFR800 white) Orlando, FL

burnes45 ('97 VFR750)  Jacksonville, FL

BikerBoyNeo  ('14 VFR800 red)  Montgomery, AL

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

Only 14 days away! Weather Channel app is predicting high/low temps for St. Augustine of 87/70 with sunny skies and a 0% chance of rain!

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

THREE DAYS to go! Bring some rain gear - current forecast is 85 degrees with a 40% chance of scattered thunderstorms in the morning. If it's really bad in the morning we'll just skip the AM group ride, meet at the Caddyshack at noon for lunch as planned, go to the vintage bike show afterwards and do the group ride in the afternoon

• Member Contributer

Less than 24 hours to go!!! I've been contacted by a couple guys who say they won't be there in time for the morning ride but still want to meet up. If you're not an early riser then just be at the Caddyshack at noon for lunch. We'll do another group ride after we check out the bike show! Should be great weather - forecast for St. Augustine tomorrow is only a 10% chance of rain with mostly sunny skies and a high of 88 - perfect!

• Member Contributer

Hi Gator.

You're making me green with envy, hope you and your group have a great ride and enjoy the fantastic display, may the weather Gods be kind to you. Bit of a shame for us in the southern hemisphere, upside-down and weather getting cold.

cheers

Grum.

Archived