Coming From a 5th Gen to a 6th Gen, will I be disappointed?

Smitty

I'm currently shopping for a 6th Gen Viffer. I had a 5th Gen a few years back (sold it for a FZ1, then a Versys, then a KTM 990R). 

I really miss the bike, but I thought I would move up to the next generation. With all the talk about no gear-driven cams, v-tech, etc., I'm a little hesitant.

Should I not be and just go for it? 

I'm assuming others have made the switch and would like their feedback.

Thanks.

• Member Contributer

The suspension was better on my 6th gen.  The engine was better and ran cooler on my 5th gen. I liked the sound of my 5th gen more as well. I sold my 6th gen and kept my 5th. I was slightly disappointed with the 6th gen.  I do miss the RWB paint job of my '07 though.

• Member Contributer

Rode 5th Gen for 130k miles and 6th for 70k miles. The 5th Gen engine is easier to service and ride with but everything else is better on the 6th. There are easy mods you can do to make the 6th engine better, improving low throttle response.

I am currently touring a 5th around NZ but would still have preferred a 6th.

YMMV.

• Member Contributer

I had a 6th gen and I didn't like it. I came from a 4th gen and was disappointed with the 6th gen. It had a lack of low end power that the 4th/5th gens have. The Vtec step at times was violent and unnerving.

I disliked it so much I sold it at a loss and bought a 5th gen that I currently have.

The brakes seemed better on the 6th gen compared to my 5th gen. (5th gen has twice the mileage and is 5 years older) I did like the availability of the ABS for the 6th gens though.

6th gens have better support for luggage though I got a top box and rack easily for the 5th gen.

5th gen has the superior Gear Driven Cams that you know and love.

I personally prefer the Analog Speedo and the appearance of the 5th gen.

This is all just my opinion based off my observations having owned the 2 gens.

P.S. 4th gen is still my favorite :goofy:

• Member Contributer

Found a thread I started a thread last year about my "issues".

It's a good relevant read for ya. There's also a dyno sheet showing the power delivery of the different VFR gens.

Archived