Stolen VFR

01ragtop

Well, the saga is almost over.  I authorized my Credit Union to payoff a 2016 matte black 675R from a Private Seller.  He's actually more than a private seller, I ride with him frequently, but he has decided to give up two wheels in favor of a hot little Mini Cooper.  His loss.  

Bike only has 4,500 miles, and the previous owner doesn't ride wheelies or any other shenanigans.  He also installed the Tanks Slapper protective film when the bike was new, and purchased the Maintenance package to 24,000 miles. He even installed a brand new Pirelli Super Corsa on the front this afternoon so, "I could go ride without spending anymore money on it."

Anyway, everything should clear the banks this week, and I'll post pics when I get it home.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer

Congrats on the new bike!  I would be interested in seeing your review of the Daytona with pros and cons between the old and new bikes.

• Member Contributer

Interesting to see you go from a stolen Interceptor to a Daytona while Tredmkv just traded his Daytona for an Interceptor.  You guys both have very good taste!  Link:  

On 4/8/2017 at 9:34 PM, GatorGreg said:

Congrats on the new bike!  I would be interested in seeing your review of the Daytona with pros and cons between the old and new bikes.

Comparing the Daytona to the VFR is like comparing walking shoes to track cleats. One is comfy and sporty enough; the other is purpose made for a specific task. 

That said, I'll try. 

The weight and geometry of the 675R make it more nimble than the VFR could ever hope to be. My braking and turn in points are all way off at this point. I've always liked the brakes on the 8th gen though, so I can't fault the VFR's brakes. The difference is mostly in perhaps a little better feel from the 675's Brembos, and the fact that the Brembos are tasked with slowing a machine that weighs over 100lbs less. 

Speaking of weight. I know a large contingency of VFR owners want the VFR to lose some weight. After riding the 675, I'm not sure that's the best idea. The wind, even slight, blows the little Triumph all over the road. It's acceptable for brief gusts while out riding the canyons, but if you had to fight that for hours on end of touring, it would get old fast. 

Where the VFR could use some help is in the power and suspension departments. Even an extra 25-30HP would be great. The fact that it doesn't come with a fully adjustable suspension is just unacceptable at this stage. I wouldn't even care about USD forks, if it came with a really good conventional setup. 

The Daytona has only slightly more power, but its suspension is world class compared to the VFR. 

The ergonomics are what they are. Surprisingly, the knee bend on the Triumph is about the same as on the VFR, but the bend at the waist, or crouch, is substantially more committed on the 675. The Daytona's saddle is awesome. No complaints there, I personally even favor it over the VFR's stock seat. However, the VFR is an all day bike, the Triumph is decidedly not so. If you ride 2up, your passenger will hate you and never ride with you again if you force them onto the 675. Not necessarily a bad thing. 

In short, the 675R is a scalpel and the VFR is a top of the line Leatherman. 

Pics (I'll see if I can get some better ones)

https://goo.gl/photos/PtazG5uz9fTxJHEm8

https://goo.gl/photos/CfWA8jycRGVpsZu59

• Member Contributer

Thanks for the minicomparo and pics - looks very nice!   I drooled over a non "R" red one that was on consignment recently at my local Honda dealer - it only had about 300 miles and sold pretty quick.

On 4/16/2017 at 0:33 AM, 01ragtop said:

Speaking of weight. I know a large contingency of VFR owners want the VFR to lose some weight. After riding the 675, I'm not sure that's the best idea. The wind, even slight, blows the little Triumph all over the road. It's acceptable for brief gusts while out riding the canyons, but if you had to fight that for hours on end of touring, it would get old fast. 

100% agree with you on this point. I made the same observation a long time ago after riding a friends fun little 600. A car passing or a side wind was a cheap thrill to be sure!

• Member Contributer
4 hours ago, marriedman said:

100% agree with you on this point. I made the same observation a long time ago after riding a friends fun little 600. A car passing or a side wind was a cheap thrill to be sure!

Cheep thrills are a side effect (feature) of nearly all mc riding. Certainly less cheep on a 500+ pound VFR vs a 600 sport bike. But my fifth gen consistently Blows Me Away. (pun intended).

Archived