Stolen VFR

01ragtop

My white 2014 VFR was stolen this evening.  I know the chances of someone here seeing it are slim, but I just wanted to get the word out. 

On hold with the police now.  They verified it wasn't towed and are in the process of filing a report.  

I've never had to deal with insurance on a stolen vehicle.  I cringe at the thought. 

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sorry to hear that man!  Scumbags are running amok all over the place here in So Cal!  >:|  Can you give us the circumstances (e.g. bike idling or parked, keys in ignition or no keys, locked or unsecured, from street/driveway/garage/etc, inside/outside a secured perimeter, from home or other location, a regular or normal place you park or stop, etc)?  Hopefully, your comprehensive policy will cover it and your insurance company won't try to weasel out of paying you! 

• Member Contributer

NOOOO! So sorry to hear that Ragtop. I'll keep my eyes open in case it makes it's way up this way. Crossing my fingers and hoping for the best.

Do you get a lot of vehicular or foot traffic in your neighborhood?  How long was it unattended or how much time elapsed since the last time you saw it and when you noticed it was gone?  Maybe a local ahole rolled it to his/her house nearby? 

Have you thought about posting a heads up on Sportbikes.net?  I think that used to be one of the larger/est motorcycle forums but I've been out of the loop for a pretty long time... 

And yes, no excuse!  I'm no fan of muslim radicals (and others who also believe the following) but I think they're onto something with the whole cutting the hands off of thieves thing...   Probably TMI from the new guy, I know...  sorry!  :D

My VFR was stolen - and recovered - last year. Maybe you will get lucky too? The CHP was worthless. All they wanted was the VIN - zero investigation.

Good luck with the insurance company. Mine was very cooperative. Maybe you will get lucky with that too.

Hard to believe that someone would steal a new VFR. There just aren't very many of them around, so what will the thieves do with it?

Post some pics and license plate if you want a better shot at finding it.  Anything custom on it that would tip people off?  Post on Craigslist it was stolen and offer a reward for their hands and fingers.  Also, monitor the for sale ads for parts on Craigslist  too.

Sorry, sucks.

• 3 weeks later...

Well, my bike was recovered by the Highway Patrol tonight. The thief got away, but they have him on video admitting he stole the bike. It's only a matter of time before he gets himself caught for something else and they tack this charge on to his other pending warrant. 

I'll take pics tomorrow, but the bike is trashed. 

• Member Contributer

What is for the fukker, will no go past him...

Here's hoping the insurance company treats you well and you have not lost the joy of owning and riding a motorcycle!!!

11 hours ago, 01ragtop said:

Well, my bike was recovered by the Highway Patrol tonight. The thief got away, but they have him on video admitting he stole the bike. It's only a matter of time before he gets himself caught for something else and they tack this charge on to his other pending warrant. 

I'll take pics tomorrow, but the bike is trashed. 

Scratching my head at how on one hand they have him confessing on video but on the other hand he gets away??? 

+1 with Dutchy - hope your insurance company treats you right! 

• Member Contributer

Well, that has to be bitter sweet, on the one hand you got it back, on the other it's not in the condition one would hope for! Let's hope the d-bag who nabbed it gets his come upance sooner rather than later!

Hoping you can get some sort of good result from the insurance company.

Pics of the damage. 

https://goo.gl/photos/TzuRXMdLXfVQV6So8

I'm repeating myself on both forums. Sorry to those that read both.

The thief  was in the food mart at a Chevron when the HIPO rolled in and saw a spray painted bike with no plates. The clerk reportedly heard the perp say he was screwed because the bike was hot. Sure enough, they got it on the security camera. 

Barney Fife was about to slap the cuffs on him when the dude just bolted and rest of the keystone cops couldn't chase him down. Don't believe everything you see on COPS. 

Anyway, the dude has priors, a warrant out for his arrest, and is now wanted for GTA as well as resisting arrest. They’ll catch him soon enough.

• Member Contributer

Quite sorry to hear your story. Hope you get full value for your machine. And the perp gets what it deserves.

• Member Contributer

I don't get low class individuals. What's to gain here? Sounds like stealing it way more hassle than it's worth... Find a $500 beater bike on CL and ride the tits out of it!

Ok, that sux.

But the damage looks cosmetic - plastics. Did he screw up the wiring harness? Did he drop it on both sides? 

The reason I ask is that my VFR was also stolen last fall, but recovered. I thought it was totalled, but it wasn't. Now it is as good as it was when it was stolen. My insurer (Geico) was fantastic! Keep us posted.

• Member Contributer
On 3/11/2017 at 9:21 PM, Alaskan said:

Ok, that sux.

But the damage looks cosmetic - plastics. Did he screw up the wiring harness? Did he drop it on both sides? 

The reason I ask is that my VFR was also stolen last fall, but recovered. I thought it was totalled, but it wasn't. Now it is as good as it was when it was stolen. My insurer (Geico) was fantastic! Keep us posted.

That's a great point Al. My first VFR took a real beating over 100,000 miles. But she was still a looker when she died. After all, they're still selling the plastics.

I'm pretty sure the bike was abused. Rear tire shows signs of burnouts. It's been crashed, so who knows if the forks are still straight. The front rim is gouged from something, maybe the crash. The kickstand is broken. Both levers are bent and scratched. The engine case is scratched on both sides.  The suspension has been screwed with; the bike has been lowered. 

The thief would have been better off buying a rat bike for $500 Cuz that's what he turned my bike into. 

Honestly, I was surprised at how the insurance company worked with me on the repairs. If it's totalled, it's totalled. But my VFR is as good as new after the payout and repairs. AND you can do the work yourself and get paid Honda the shop hourly rate. AND you can buy parts on eBay. and pocket the cash - because you deserve it. This might be an opportunity. But it might not, I get that.

Having your bike stolen is awful, but maybe it will work out for you the way it worked out for me.

1 hour ago, 01ragtop said:

I'm pretty sure the bike was abused. Rear tire shows signs of burnouts. It's been crashed, so who knows if the forks are still straight. The front rim is gouged from something, maybe the crash. The kickstand is broken. Both levers are bent and scratched. The engine case is scratched on both sides.  The suspension has been screwed with; the bike has been lowered. 

The thief would have been better off buying a rat bike for $500 Cuz that's what he turned my bike into. 

Rode it like they stole it I guess.

Hopefully you get a new one without a big hassle.

Archived