Stolen VFR

01ragtop

• Member Contributer
20 hours ago, Alaskan said:

Honestly, I was surprised at how the insurance company worked with me on the repairs. If it's totalled, it's totalled. But my VFR is as good as new after the payout and repairs. AND you can do the work yourself and get paid Honda the shop hourly rate. AND you can buy parts on eBay. and pocket the cash - because you deserve it. This might be an opportunity. But it might not, I get that. 

Given the description of the abuse following your post, I doubt I'd want that bike back either.  You can fix the obvious cosmetic and functional stuff but what are the chances a local shop has the tools to check the frame.  The bike was probably subjected to plenty of wheelies and stunts so the steering bearings and fork bushings will have taken a beating.  Will insurance pay for that, sight-unseen?  And you'll never know how badly the motor was abused until it $#!+s the bed a few thousand miles later, at which point it'll be too late to collect further on the insurance.

I'd be praying for it to be declared a total loss.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for the added info, that makes sense - initially it sounded like he was in the back seat throwing up all over himself and somehow got away... lol Hope Karma comes around and kicks him hard in the nuts or he suffers an aneurysm or something... haha 

I'd say high probability that the fishing rod was used as burglary tool - mailboxes, reaching into cars or anywhere else through a thin gap, etc

17 hours ago, Rectaltronics said:

Given the description of the abuse following your post, I doubt I'd want that bike back either.  You can fix the obvious cosmetic and functional stuff but what are the chances a local shop has the tools to check the frame.  The bike was probably subjected to plenty of wheelies and stunts so the steering bearings and fork bushings will have taken a beating.  Will insurance pay for that, sight-unseen?  And you'll never know how badly the motor was abused until it $#!+s the bed a few thousand miles later, at which point it'll be too late to collect further on the insurance.

I'd be praying for it to be declared a total loss.

Well, it's totalled or it isn't. The OP has no control over that. Just trying to make the guy feel better about the possibility it isn't totalled. . . .

• Member Contributer

01ragtop, gotta be everyone's greatest fear next to butting the tar yourself, sorry.
Years ago my mates fj1200 was taken for a joyride, in three hours the guy blasted it that the motor was so full of rattles he forced the insurance to have the motor rebuilt. Like others say, don't settle if you're unhappy.
My car has a mechanical switch on fuel pump, just installed front and rear driving cameras with cloud recording....bike will have extra imobilizer goodies!
Hope you come out smiling!

Sent from my HTC_PN071 using Tapatalk

• Member Contributer
15 hours ago, Alaskan said:

Well, it's totalled or it isn't. The OP has no control over that. Just trying to make the guy feel better about the possibility it isn't totalled.

Actually the OP may very well have some control over that.  You'd be surprised how many adjusters will work with the owner's preferences on a decision that is anywhere close to borderline.

• Member Contributer
On 3/15/2017 at 3:03 PM, Rectaltronics said:

Actually the OP may very well have some control over that.  You'd be surprised how many adjusters will work with the owner's preferences on a decision that is anywhere close to borderline.

When adjusting my claim after the second deer hit, I told him I'd rebuild it myself, asking that he value the crash $10 under totaled. He agreed saying "We hate to total motorcycles."

I'm not sure about what 01ragtop should do, it sounds bad; I thought I'd throw out my experience for everyone's benefit.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, the adjuster was out Friday, the bike is a total loss. He got to $7500 in damages without really getting into the small things that were wrong.  Big ticket stuff was all new plastics, new headlight, new tank, new forks, new front wheel.  Add that to the labor to clean the paint off the frame and engine, and she is toast.  The numbers the adjuster was giving me seemed pretty fair, but they hadn't accounted for it being a Deluxe, aftermarket exhaust, and protective 3M kit.  They also guessed low on the mileage even though I gave it to them correctly. 

I will find out early this week what their settlement offer is going to be.

What a shitty situation.  Any chance you are buying it back?  Seems like the perfect opportunity to buy it back dirt cheap and have something you don't have to feel back about flogging the snot out of.

• Member Contributer
11 hours ago, 01ragtop said:

Thanks all. I've been so busy at work I haven't had time to ride, now once I do have time, I have to go find a ride instead of going for one. 

Sorry about your bike - are you gonna look for another 8th gen or maybe try something different?

• Member Contributer

Prop 47 took property crimes as well as drug crimes and lowered the consequences.  Thefts are up all over the state thanks to those who think that drugs are not serious.  The addicts are usually the ones committing the majority of the property crimes.  Good luck on your bike.  I hope they catch the person who took it.  Not that they will get any serious time for the theft.   

• Member Contributer
Prop 47 took property crimes as well as drug crimes and lowered the consequences.  Thefts are up all over the state thanks to those who think that drugs are not serious.  The addicts are usually the ones committing the majority of the property crimes.  Good luck on your bike.  I hope they catch the person who took it.  Not that they will get any serious time for the theft.   

A world wide problem! Here down under....crims repeatedly getting slaps on the wrist, but if ordinary Joe slips up, gone...lose everything. Infuriates me! Was a cop in South Africa years ago, seen the inside dealings of justice....

11 hours ago, GatorGreg said:

Sorry about your bike - are you gonna look for another 8th gen or maybe try something different?

I'm going to go a different route.  I never regretted buying the VFR, I wasn't even looking at other bikes. I wouldn't be looking at other bikes now if someone hadn't decided to relieve me of mine. I learned to enjoy the fact that I could push the sport-bikes on all but the tightest canyon roads while riding a bike that was 100lbs heavier and down on power. It was comfy on long rides, and Mrs. 01ragtop enjoyed riding with me.  She stopped riding with me when we found out she was pregnant; 2 months after I bought the VFR.  Now my daughter is 15 months old, and she still doesn't ride with me.  

If I don't need room for a passenger, I don't need a sport touring bike.  Bring on the super-sport.  I've never owned a 400 lb. motorcycle with razor sharp handling and 120+hp, so I believe it is time.  Maybe a D675R or a 636.  I may not be welcome since I won't be on a V4, but I'll at least drop in to share some pics before you all run me and my non VFR bike off.

• Member Contributer

Ooooh a D675R would be a fun bike and they look/sound great IMO - never ridden one but one of the motovloggers I subscribe to, SpacePod, has one - here's his 3 month review.   Have you ever ridden an S1000RR?   199 hp is freaking incredible fun - people made fun of my testride I posted on my YT channel cuz it sounded like I had an accident in my pants LOL.  Will probably be my next bike.

• Member Contributer
16 hours ago, 01ragtop said:

I'm going to go a different route.  I never regretted buying the VFR, I wasn't even looking at other bikes. I wouldn't be looking at other bikes now if someone hadn't decided to relieve me of mine. I learned to enjoy the fact that I could push the sport-bikes on all but the tightest canyon roads while riding a bike that was 100lbs heavier and down on power. It was comfy on long rides, and Mrs. 01ragtop enjoyed riding with me.  She stopped riding with me when we found out she was pregnant; 2 months after I bought the VFR.  Now my daughter is 15 months old, and she still doesn't ride with me.  

If I don't need room for a passenger, I don't need a sport touring bike.  Bring on the super-sport.  I've never owned a 400 lb. motorcycle with razor sharp handling and 120+hp, so I believe it is time.  Maybe a D675R or a 636.  I may not be welcome since I won't be on a V4, but I'll at least drop in to share some pics before you all run me and my non VFR bike off.

There are plenty of VFRD members w/o VFRs, so don't run off. We still like to hear about mc Tall Tails.

• Member Contributer
3 hours ago, MaxSwell said:

There are plenty of VFRD members w/o VFRs, so don't run off. We still like to hear about mc Tall Tails.

+1 on that. Plus we need to do another Palomar ride, the last one was a blast!

1 hour ago, Duc2V4 said:

+1 on that. Plus we need to do another Palomar ride, the last one was a blast!

I'm in. Let me get a ride under me, and that sounds like a plan. 

Speaking of getting a ride, the insurance company surprised me today by not low-balling me. Their offer was very fair, so I can say now that Progressive Insurance treated me like a customer and not another number. Kudos to them. 

I'm working this weekend, but soon I will be back on two wheels. The weather is great and with my work schedule lately, I'm in need of some motorcycle therapy. 

• Member Contributer

i recommend trying several new options before deciding....why not? i have a daytona 675 and love it but bikes each have their own personality and you may want to try them all over time...you need to try an fz 10. unusual styling but fun and comfy ride. Also tuono and s1000r. New version of the s1000r is much smoother and more refined (less buzz) than the previous version. A fun and dare i say practical bike.

there's also the new street triple that people say is a very fun bike ... nice sounds too.

Have fun shopping :)

• Member Contributer
On 3/28/2017 at 1:45 PM, Forbes said:

A world wide problem! Here down under....crims repeatedly getting slaps on the wrist, but if ordinary Joe slips up, gone...lose everything. Infuriates me! Was a cop in South Africa years ago, seen the inside dealings of justice....

This is what needs to be done.  

Archived