Seriously thinking of selling my VFR :(

Storx

• Member Contributer
On 2/22/2017 at 6:07 AM, Sweeper said:

As an alternative, try an adventure bike. CB500X, Versys, Vstrom. I love my CB500x.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Plus one (or two, maybe) for the ADV bike. Since buying a V-Strom 650, I really question owning my sixth gen.

1 hour ago, digitallyhip said:

Plus one (or two, maybe) for the ADV bike. Since buying a V-Strom 650, I really question owning my sixth gen.

Digitallyhip do you mind writing up a little about your experience with your V-strom 650 and compare it to you 6th gen.   Would love to hear your thoughts.

Ok got the opportunity to take a 2015 strom 650 out for an extended cruise.  The bike was used, stock condition about 4k on it.   I finally got to experience the handling in canyons, city, and highway.    Roll on power for passing was ok, needed to kick it down a gear or two depending on how quick I wanted to move but it wasn't to bad, took some time getting used to the soft long travel suspension but was OK with it after awhile.    Power overall was less than what I'm used to and there were times I missed the vfr's top end rush but overall the thing felt capable enough.     Really enjoyed the smooth fueling, made the bike so easy to manage, no snatchy throttle, just an enjoyable ride.  Comfort was outstanding, can't complain about the ergonomics, didn't test the abs but it was nice to know it was there, just an added layer of protection.   No offroad action but for me if I  wanted to do that I'd get something smaller with better suspension.   

Now that I got to really experince a decent ride on one I'm gonna just leave it at that, was fun but really don't wanna add a third bike and can't see selling either of my current  bikes, just to attached to them and they were paid for a long time ago.   I guess I got the wee strom urge outta my system for now.   

You got to get something you are comfortable on. That said, try some Pilates to alleviate back pain. If you go bagger, don't forget about the FB6. I love mine more than my VFR but both are great bikes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I rode a Vfr 1200f for 3 years and loved it. Decided I needed a more upright position to help with the slight pain in the back of my neck. So I bought a Vfr1200x and found it so much more comfortable. Funnily enough I can now go quicker through the twisties on the X than I could on the F. Love the V4 motor

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

• Member Contributer

The big Strom feeds my itch for power and speed with superior braking and suspension to the 650...don't ride it, you'll like it. Here's mine with a new Arrow racing collector and MIVV slip-on...b6232c19757075d19ede88caa37e6b3f.jpg

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

• Member Contributer

Such a shame the VFR800X is not available in the US. I love mine.

2015-Honda-VFR800X-Crossrunner4.jpg

• Member Contributer
1 hour ago, Skids said:

Such a shame the VFR800X is not available in the US. I love mine.

2015-Honda-VFR800X-Crossrunner4.jpg

I wonder if there is anyway that could be purchased and imported.  Where there's a will there's a way.  That's a good looking option for that type of bike.

• Member Contributer

It is the perfect bike for a VFR-lover who has issues with the riding position of the other 800 models.

The 1200X is similar, though they have messed with the engine on that.

• 1 month later...

Bit late to the game but relevant thoughts: I own and built the original 3rd gen from hell. I am now into my 6th decade and my body is augmented with approximately just less than 5 lbs of surgical steel and titanium.  I have a 37" inseam. Bought a 2016 KTM 1290R after finding that my tolerance for knee/ankle pain was about 3 hours max on the VFR. And the condition/recovery after getting off said period was getting much worse. Made any real toruring unrealistic.

Rode the SuperDuke, couldn't believe the comfort. This from a bike that wheelies at 100 MPH+ off the throttle. Seriously. I added Knight Design pegs and the KTM Powersports seat that provided an addition leg room of 2"+ combined. It's now like a Barcalounger but with my feet underneath me. Superior luggage options. Ridiculously comfortable hooligan touring machine. Put more miles on it in the last two years than I did in the last 5 on the Viffer.

Having said all that I had to move the Viffer last week and ended up doing a 3 hour ride.. because it just gave me a woody to be back on it, it was just like an old friend that worked hard to not let you down. Hanging off with a knee down on the way from Kaslo to New Denver I'm thinking that still, if I only ever need one bike this is it.

• Member Contributer
On 5/9/2017 at 10:12 PM, 2thdr said:

The big Strom feeds my itch for power and speed with superior braking and suspension to the 650...don't ride it, you'll like it. Here's mine with a new Arrow racing collector and MIVV slip-on...b6232c19757075d19ede88caa37e6b3f.jpg

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Hey Doc, how do those tires work on pavement? You do ride on pavement right? :)

Archived