Dunlop Roadsmart 3

swimmer

• Member Contributer

Mine's a 800 but I'm quite happy with them.

Excellent sport touring tyre IMO. Good feeling in all weather conditions and pleasantly light steering without any twitchiness. No idea how durable they are, though.

On 2/22/2017 at 0:15 AM, swimmer said:

I went ahead and ordered these. I'll report back in 10k miles on how they worked out for me.

what tires do you have on it now ??

• Member Contributer
17 hours ago, lshark said:

what tires do you have on it now ??

PR4.  Second set.  The RS3 are arriving today.  May have them mounted tomorrow or I might milk the current tires a little longer.

10 minutes ago, swimmer said:

PR4.  Second set.  The RS3 are arriving today.  May have them mounted tomorrow or I might milk the current tires a little longer.

I'm also on a 800 with PR4 first set how do you like the PR4? I just scrubbed mine in few hundred miles now.

Art

• Member Contributer
11 minutes ago, artpongs said:

I'm also on a 800 with PR4 first set how do you like the PR4? I just scrubbed mine in few hundred miles now.

Art

I'm on a 1200.  The PR4 is a really good tire.  Just hoping for better front wear characteristics from a newer tire.

7 hours ago, swimmer said:

I'm on a 1200.  The PR4 is a really good tire.  Just hoping for better front wear characteristics from a newer tire.

I ride the 1200 almost exclusively 2 up so I put PR4 GTs on. Same great performance characteristics with a stiffer sidewall. I've got about 7K on the pair and the front is less than half worn where the PR4 I originally had was showing cords on the front at 4K...

• Member Contributer

The RS3 tires showed up today.  They look super tasty.  Just looking at the tires compared to the PR4 its hard not to assume they have better cornering grip.  The rear tire has what seems to be a very deep center section tread depth also.  Front tire looks similar to what I remember as the tread depth on the PR4.

I've had RS3's on my 800 and really pleased with them, went through Alps last year, over several passes, and they were fine, and also through some torrential rain, they were excellent.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

Per this review, the wear characteristics are spot on:

http://www.motorcycle.com/products/dunlop-roadsmart-iii-performance-touring-tire-review

If Dunlop throws out a rebate, I might give them a shot.  I usually like running the same tires so I don't have to change them at the same time or have to mix and match.  Overall, new tires in recent years are considerably better in all areas, so it is hard to pick a tire and stick with it.

• Member Contributer

FWIW, I put my RS3 on yesterday.  Not really worth comparing a set of tires with 15k miles on them to a new set but the bike is a lot smoother on the highway. I always thought the balance job on the last front tire was not so good.

• Member Contributer
On 3/13/2017 at 1:21 PM, andy said:

At 15K are your PR4s worn out?  Plz keep up updated.

If I really want to wear them to the minimum I probably could have gotten another 1k miles out of them but wanted to get the new tires put on in case I needed/decided to head out for a trip before the weather turns bad for the rest of the summer.

6 hours ago, swimmer said:

If I really want to wear them to the minimum I probably could have gotten another 1k miles out of them but wanted to get the new tires put on in case I needed/decided to head out for a trip before the weather turns bad for the rest of the summer.

Thanks.  My PR4s have been on for 5K miles and look new.  Judging by your mileage,  I may be able to get 20Kmiles.

i've never gotten more than 8000 miles out of a set of PR3/4s and i've run 6 or 7 sets of them

• Member Contributer
On 3/22/2017 at 8:26 PM, slider43 said:

Swimmer how's the RS3's now? Looking at them as well.

So far I am liking them better than the PR4 but it's admittedly  hard to remember what the PR4 felt like new and comparing a new tire to one that had 15k miles on it is not fair.  The rear tire feels pretty similar but the front feels a little bit more confidence inspiring.  

Archived