No spark, 6Th Gen VTEC.

Woodie

• Member Contributer

After a mysterious clatter from my bike, that wasn't cured by replacing/servicing the CCT's I decided to swap out the engine as I had been offered one at a reasonable price.

To cut a long story short after a lot of wrangling, cutting and swearing I have now got the engine in. It turns over but won't start. I pulled one of the spark plugs and I don't seem to get a spark. I rested the anode against the cylinder head to get an earth, but I can't see any spark. I've swapped the plugs from the other engine as these are known to be good but still get nothing. I am a bit confused as there is nothing different from the other engine, the only electrical part that moved with the engine is the Pulse Generator.

just for information. The bike does have HISS fitted. when I turn on the ignition I have to press the button on the fob to get the 'FI' light to come on.

The fuel pump primes, or at least sounds like it does although the plugs don't seem to be getting wet. I have tried using easy start down the throttle bodies but get nothing, but as I can't see a spark I am working on that angle first.

I am not used to electronics on bikes but am handy with an AVO, is there a test procedure for testing the Pulse generator output.

if this is not the culprit, does anyone have any fault finding tips. Jumper the stand switch, Kill switch testing et'c.

thanks in advance.

Phill.

• Member Contributer

Are you sure you connected the ignition sender ?  it comes out of the top of the clutch cover ?  Likewise is the cam pulse sensor connected ? its attached to the rear head.  Also the Map sensor on the rear of the airbox ?  Not sure what version of HISS you have, the only one I'm aware of has a sensor rong around the ignotion barrel to detect a chip in the key.  The neutral light & Fi light should come on when key is turned to on as part of a self test.

The bike should not crank when the kill switch is off & no Fi light. Flick kill switch on & the Fi light should come on as the fuel pump primes etc.

• Member Contributer

Kill switch was just a thought as I'd seen it mentioned in a thread for another VFR forum after a google search last night.

if the side stand switch/Kill switch were faulty I would expect the bike to not turn over but I only had this beastie a couple of months befire it went bang.

I may have wrongly assumed that the wire from the top of the Clutch cover was a pulse generator feed, as far I can see that is the only part of the wiring directly attached to the engine. does anyone have a picture of the Cam Pulse sensor so I can check if mine is the same.

I think I may need to go over the wiring diagram for the ignition from the manual. as far as I can see I have reconnected everything as it was before. The only thing not connected is the vacuum pipe from then airbox valve but that shouldn't prevent it from creating a spark at the plug.

• 1 month later...
  • Member Contributer

Sorted it... it was the Alarm/Immobiliser. Ripped that out and Voila.. I starts.

Archived