Need Flush Fit Replacement for Frankenstein (Seat Cowl) Bolts

indianagenius

I have a pair of these installed on my '99 VFR.  My son has his own 5th Gen and was recently coveting my flush fit version.  Seems like these were a Goldwing fastener.  The flush fit version looks great but are definitely useless for a bungee strap application.  Anyway, does anyone know the Honda part # for the flush fit version that replaces the Frankenstein bolts?

Thanks,

IG

That's probably called a 'M6/M8 (can't tell from here) pan head with collar' which are widely available fronm fastening suppliers.

If you desperately want an OEM bolt, you could try looking through the IPCs for the Goldwing and getting the part number.

• Member Contributer

I found the 86-87 vfr seat cowl bolt look great. Large pan head with standard slot for flat head screw driver or a coin to remove. Check a parts fiche for it. Much cheaper than the Frankenstein bolts

8 hours ago, indianagenius said:

You guys are really not helping much...

Mate, it's a pan head bolt with an M6 thread and collar - that's what they're called. Honda's specific nomenclature is 'screw, pan 6 x ...' where '...' is the length of the thread in mm. You don't need to pay crazy Honda prices for something that'll cost you a couple of dollars at most in a hardware store though. eBay is similarly plentiful with bolts, just measure the length of the threaded section, and then the length of the collar, and bingo, that's all the info you need to arm yourself with to buy the right one. Check out this eBay ID: 131633499433.

Whilst they're in the UK, they ship internationally and can undoubtedly provide what you need - I've used them a number of times for my own bike too.

14 hours ago, indianagenius said:

You guys are really not helping much...

It's unlikely anyone is going to know the part number.

Just go to a hardware store, spend very little on a couple of bolts.

The thread pitch is probably 1.25, it's an M6 or M8 cap head with a collar. If you can't find one with a collar, you can buy them separately. You may or may need to shorten the bolt if it's not exact. Just take the frankenbolt with you to compare.

• Member Contributer
7 minutes ago, Steve said:

Gotta love the titanium fasteners. They must save at least .1 grams in weight. :ph34r:

Archived