Braided front brake lines

10 hours ago, scottbott said:

mine has Hel brake and clutch lines fitted by the previous owner,this is my first  VFR so do not know how good or bad the brakes are,never used them in real anger as yet

Not great, certainly not stoppy inducing and I wouldn't recommend riding quick up someones arse. The bike far outweighs the braking capabilities.

• Member Contributer

don't worry will be anywhere near another rider as I am still getting used to the bike after a very long time from riding,not a pretty sight I reckon,just waiting for better weather to get more miles and confidence 

6 hours ago, 750 said:

Not great, certainly not stoppy inducing and I wouldn't recommend riding quick up someones arse. The bike far outweighs the braking capabilities.

Coming from riding a 1993 cb750(nighthawk) with single disc front and drum rear this bike stops amazingly quick for the weight. Both bikes are about 460 lbs as well.

• 2 months later...

Finally got around to measuring and deciding what to do with the brake lines. I just got a Pit Bull headlift front stand, which allows the forks to extend fully. All measurements are overall length(including banjo fittings). My brother gave me a hand which made it a lot easier.

I did custom angled fittings on the front brake and clutch lines to clear the forks and get the adjustment of the levers correct.

Front brake lines

Right- 30 inches

Left - 31 inches

Clutch - 39 inches

Rear - 30 inches

• Member Contributer
19 hours ago, coupedupsubie said:

[...] which allows the forks to extend fully.

Good thinking. :wink:

I heard of one case where that little detail was overlooked leading to the brake lines snapping clean off upon the first wheelie. :wheel:

Fresh underwear time. :goofy:

3 hours ago, RC36Rider said:

Good thinking. :wink:

I heard of one case where that little detail was overlooked leading to the brake lines snapping clean off upon the first wheelie. :wheel:

Fresh underwear time. :goofy:

Between my brother and I we double checked everything. I ordered last night, and received an email today with a question about color. Hopefully I will be riding this weekend.

I looked around more and found galfer does custom lines as well, but no price information.

20 hours ago, Devo83 said:

Just put a full Galfer kit on my 93. Clutch and both brake lines. Went on perfectly!  

Pricing was about $200 Canadian. 

IMG_6801.JPG

IMG_6802.JPG

IMG_6803.JPG

IMG_6804.JPG

IMG_6805.JPG

It appears as though the 90-93 master cylinders do not have the stops around the banjo fittings. This would allow you to install Helibars without the issue I have with my 94.

What are Helibars? 

Yes i I called Galfer directly to order as I couldn't find them through any distributors. Even Galfer doesn't stock them. Mine were made for my order. 

• Member Contributer
12 hours ago, coupedupsubie said:

It appears as though the 90-93 master cylinders do not have the stops around the banjo fittings. This would allow you to install Helibars without the issue I have with my 94.

Hacksaw?

Ciao,

1 hour ago, JZH said:

Hacksaw?

Ciao,

I already received my new lines with the proper fittings so I do not have to cut or grind them off.

While that is a solution I decided to go a different route as I have made this bike a bit of a project.

10 hours ago, Devo83 said:

What are Helibars? 

Yes i I called Galfer directly to order as I couldn't find them through any distributors. Even Galfer doesn't stock them. Mine were made for my order. 

Helibars are aftermarket clip ons that give you a bit of a higher bar, but also changes the angle of them to make it more comfortable. They are no longer made but can be foundon eBay occasionally.

Most brake line companies don't stock kits for older bikes but keep the specs on file to quickly make them when an order comes in.

6 hours ago, Devo83 said:

Hmm I don't find the stock setting uncomfortable at all. 

Everyone fits a bike different. The only issue I have is that I was leaned over slightly too much. The Helibars made just sitting on the bike more comfortable.

• 4 weeks later...

I've got helibars as well, fitted with WezMoto lines ( https://wezmoto.com/ ). When I ordered them I got both lines extended by 25mm (an inch in cro-magnon units) and they fitted perfectly. No need for 45 degree fittings at all. One thing I did discover is that routing the lines outside the fork legs induces chafing on the mudguard so route them inside instead to avoid damaging the PU covering. I also used a Dremel to remove the tang- 5 minutes work and a neat finish.

16 hours ago, leafy2 said:

I've got helibars as well, fitted with WezMoto lines ( https://wezmoto.com/ ). When I ordered them I got both lines extended by 25mm (an inch in cro-magnon units) and they fitted perfectly. No need for 45 degree fittings at all. One thing I did discover is that routing the lines outside the fork legs induces chafing on the mudguard so route them inside instead to avoid damaging the PU covering. I also used a Dremel to remove the tang- 5 minutes work and a neat finish.

Cutting off the tang is the normal method, and allows for the stock brake lines to be used. I just prefer to not cut them off and was going to get stainless lines anyway.

I will be installing my new lines Friday. They showed up just before I left for work, 28 days on a boat in the Gulf of Mexico.

I've got a set of front stainless brake line from a bike I parted out.  it was coated with plastic which started to come off. otherwise fully functional.

sounds like the newer brake lines don't come with any plastic around them.

Make offer!

• 1 month later...
  • Member Contributer

Does anyone have a source for the Tee style SS brake lines for the 4th Gen?  I have them on my Guzzi, straight line from MC to right caliper that has a tee to the left caliper right above the fender.  Sort of how the original lines are.  Would also love to have this for my '86 VFR too, the splitter is a paint o bleed.

21 hours ago, SamW said:

Does anyone have a source for the Tee style SS brake lines for the 4th Gen?  I have them on my Guzzi, straight line from MC to right caliper that has a tee to the left caliper right above the fender.  Sort of how the original lines are.  Would also love to have this for my '86 VFR too, the splitter is a paint o bleed.

When I was looking around I think I saw HEL have a them like that. I know CoreMoto can make them, as well as Galfer.

As far as bleeding the brakes, I highly recommend a vacuum bleeder. My brother had to bleed his a few times before he got a proper brake feel. Mine was done within a couple hours.

• Member Contributer

You could make your own, or have someone make them for you, but the main expense in braided stainless steel brake lines is the fittings: this kind of design is generally much more expensive--and it is debateable that it is easier to bleed.  I use a double banjo bolt with a bleeder at the top of my dual line setups and bleeding is usually very simple.  :unsure:

Ciao,

Archived