Ducati supersport

chinook

• Member Contributer
2 hours ago, deltaboxii said:

I tell you what looks way better to me...

$8k- $8500 out the door for a 2014 Interceptor DLX

vs.

$13k-$15k out the door on the Ducati!

:goofy:

Well...  there's the possibility that you could snag one of those Ducs for $8k OTD in 2019!  :wink:

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer
2 hours ago, Rectaltronics said:

Well...  there's the possibility that you could snag one of those Ducs...

I have seen this shorthand (Ducs) for decades, but because I only ever read it and never hear it, I don't know how it is pronounced. So: "dukes" or "ducks"?

3 minutes ago, RobF said:

I have seen this shorthand (Ducs) for decades, but because I only ever read it and never hear it, I don't know how it is pronounced. So: "dukes" or "ducks".

Most of us who own and ride Ducatis do not like the shorthand "Duc" moniker.

It is "Ducati".

YMMV

• Member Contributer
2 minutes ago, Alaskan said:

Most of us who own and ride Ducatis do not like the shorthand "Duc" moniker.

It is "Ducati".

I guess I'm an exception. I refer to mine as "The Duc" (Duck) all the time, heck my moniker here even has it spelled that way. I'm no snob about my bikes that's for sure and whether it pisses off the "Ducatisti", who knows, personally I don't care. I've had mine for over 21 years so I feel somewhat entitled to use whatever moniker I want. Now if a stranger ask what kind of bike, in case they can't read the name all over the body work, I call it a Ducati 900Super Sport.

Duc2V4 takes me to the woodshed! It hurt him more than it hurt me, though. LOL.

My bias was showing and you corrected me. Thanks.

• Member Contributer

I noticed that the full motorcycle.com review by Troy Siahaan which popped up on their site yesterday says "Perhaps its nearest Japanese analog is the VFR800 Interceptor, which was dropped from American Honda’s lineup in 2015."

Link:  http://www.motorcycle.com/manufacturer/ducati/2017-ducati-supersport-review.html

I also thought it was ironic that the same publication (in a review by Evans Brasfield) gave the EXACT SAME SCORE of 86.5% when they reviewed the 8th gen 3 years ago!  Link:  http://www.motorcycle.com/manufacturer/honda/2014-honda-interceptor-review-first-ride.html

Mr.  Brasfield noted in his later long term review that : "In the 1,100 miles I’ve logged on the Interceptor, I’ve become even more fond of it than I was at the introduction. "

Link:  http://www.motorcycle.com/features/living-interceptor.html

It will be interesting to see if they feel the same way about the new Ducati after a long term test.

• Member Contributer

For those who believe the 2014s are a fantastic deal, yes I agree, but only if you plan to keep long term. You are buying a 3 year old bike no matter it's off the showroom floor.

• Member Contributer

Interesting bike.

What would be the maintenance costs on it?  Much more than on the VFR?

• Member Contributer
34 minutes ago, Rice said:

Interesting bike.

What would be the maintenance costs on it?  Much more than on the VFR?

My understanding and experience with the older Ducatis, their maintenance schedules were really short (3000 - 7500 miles i.e. Belt changes, valve inspection, etc.), the newer models are more in line with the Japanese makes (10,000 - 15,000 i.e. Belt changes, valve inspection, etc.). As far as cost per hour, just like with any make/model, rates will vary from shop to shop.

Specs and looks aside, the key question for me is: Which bike am I willing to depend on when going on a long tour? VFR: Yes, Ducati: No.  Having owned a RC36 and a Duc 750 Supersport in my early days, I am certainly biased by having ridden the best Honda can do and ... hm, let's say: Not quite the best of Italian engineering. Things might have changed in the reliability department at Ducati recently, but they still have to earn my trust after a torn timing belt...

I do not want to take this thought too far, but: A certain level of Diva behaviour migh be acceptable for weekend supersports bike, but not for a bike you spend your riding holidays on.

My 2c, of course.

• Member Contributer
On 2/21/2017 at 3:05 PM, Nelix said:

For those who believe the 2014s are a fantastic deal, yes I agree, but only if you plan to keep long term. You are buying a 3 year old bike no matter it's off the showroom floor.

The 8th gens only came out mid-year, so not 3 years old quite yet.

I have a bottle of 30 year old Ballantine's here that is about 30 years old.

It's still 30 year old scotch, not sixty.

Your mileage may vary.

How many of us here bought a VFR thinking "I'll only keep this for a year or two"?

The closest competitor to the Ducati Supersport is the Suzuki GSX-S1000F.  VFR800 is clearly a step down in power, weight, and cost.

Suzuki stats:  459 lb, $11k, 135 hp, 75 lb-torque.

Ducati stats:  462 lb, $13k-15k, 113 hp, about 75 lb-torque.

They look similar.  Suzuki is definitely better value.  Ducati looks better.  

I hope a motorcycle magazine does a comparison between the Suzuki and Ducati.

The Ducati is a V-twin (did I mention I love V-twins almost as much as I love V-Fours?). Might be an interesting comparo.

• Member Contributer
5 hours ago, Quibble said:

The closest competitor to the Ducati Supersport is the Suzuki GSX-S1000F.  VFR800 is clearly a step down in power, weight, and cost.

I think 8th gens are the closest competitor (leftover 8th gens in the case of USA/Canada, but maybe Honda will release the tweaked '17 version in N. America now that the new SuperSport is bringing new attention to this market segment).  The Motorcycle.com review (see link in my earlier post above) stated the VFR800 Interceptor was the new SuperSport's "nearest Japanese analog" and gave both bikes the exact same review score of 86.5%, so apparently Motorcycle.com doesn't view the VFR as "clearly a step down" from the new SuperSport.

I would argue the Ducati is actually a step down from the VFR in terms of style (clown-like red wheels and weird LED eyebrows v. tasteful bronze wheels/engine accents and real LED headlights), dash (GameBoy screen v. beautiful analogue tach with white on black LCD), range (4.2 gallon v. 5.6 gallon), reliability (Ducati nearly 3x worse than Honda per Consumer Reports), dealer network (sketchy v. everywhere), and engine note (twins just don't sound nearly as good as a four IMO).  Personally, I would never seriously consider getting a Ducati as there's only 1 dealer in Orlando and it's on the other side of town from me about an hour away and has awful reviews.  Next closest Ducati dealers are all the way in Tampa and Daytona.  The Ducati may have an extra 9 hp (113 v. 104) but I'm willing to give up a little power in exchange for having a V4 and the sweet engine sounds that come with it.  Plus the 8th gen, being tuned for low to mid range power, does 0-60 in 3.0 seconds (zeroto60times.com) which is extremely quick - only a few tenths behind the Panigale - so it may actually be quicker than this new SuperSport from 0-60.

• Member Contributer

To follow up on my last post, I predict this new Ducati SuperSport will be SLOWER from 0-60 and the SAME or SLOWER in the quartermile than the 8th gen VFR800 Interceptor.  This despite the Ducati having more displacement, more hp, more torque, and less weight than the Interceptor.  I haven't seen any test times for the new Ducati - apparently the recent press launch in Spain was on a wet road and track and nobody has reported any times to my knowledge.

I base my prediction on the following prior tests and stats:

2014 Honda VFR800 Interceptor (529 pounds wet per Honda):   0-60 in 3.0 sec and 1/4 mile in 11.4 sec per zeroto60times.com

2016 Ducati Hypermotard 939 (450 pounds wet per Ducati):  0-60 in 3.2 sec and 1/4 mile in 11.4 sec per zeroto60times.com

2017 Ducati Supersport (same engine as Hypermotard 939 and 463 pounds wet per Ducati):  0-60 in TBD, 1/4 mile in TBD

• Member Contributer
20 hours ago, GatorGreg said:

To follow up on my last post, I predict this new Ducati SuperSport will be SLOWER from 0-60 and the SAME or SLOWER in the quartermile than the 8th gen VFR800 Interceptor.  This despite the Ducati having more displacement, more hp, more torque, and less weight than the Interceptor.  I haven't seen any test times for the new Ducati - apparently the recent press launch in Spain was on a wet road and track and nobody has reported any times to my knowledge.

I base my prediction on the following prior tests and stats:

2014 Honda VFR800 Interceptor (529 pounds wet per Honda):   0-60 in 3.0 sec and 1/4 mile in 11.4 sec per zeroto60times.com

2016 Ducati Hypermotard 939 (450 pounds wet per Ducati):  0-60 in 3.2 sec and 1/4 mile in 11.4 sec per zeroto60times.com

2017 Ducati Supersport (same engine as Hypermotard 939 and 463 pounds wet per Ducati):  0-60 in TBD, 1/4 mile in TBD

But it does have USD forks! 

:laughing6-hehe:

• Member Contributer
15 hours ago, Rectaltronics said:

But it does have USD forks! 

:laughing6-hehe:

LOL - yes it does - here's an interview with the first person to take delivery of the new SuperSport:

• Member Contributer

The Duc seems to be missing a couple of things:

Cylinders!

The VFR is much better looking.

I think the Ducati looks great. I also think the VFR looks great. Does that make me a traitor? Ha ha.

And then the R1200RS is a force that both must contend with. The R1200RS looks like a Transformer compared to these bikes (acquired taste - or not), but it's a helluva motorcycle. Different strokes. And I own a R1200RS and a VFR and a Ducati, so I claim privilege . . .

• Member Contributer

There's a YouTube of the SS.  Watch it and you may decide you don't want one at all.  That was my conclusion.  

Archived