Ducati supersport

chinook

Was looking at possibly swoping the vfr for the new Ducati this year.

However looking at recent reviews from Spain not quite sure on the looks. 

Bit of an ugly duckling compared to the vfr. 

That screen looks at bit of an after thought ?

IMG_2240.PNG

IMG_2241.PNG

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer

Couple of commercials to compare and contrast.  I prefer the styling and sound of the VFR.  The red wheels on the Ducati look clownlike while the bronze wheels of the VFR look gorgeous.  The dash of the VFR is also far superior IMO - I love me a real tach!   The Ducati's dash looks like a cheap screen from an old Nintendo GameBoy - no thanks.

• Member Contributer
14 minutes ago, Rambler358 said:

And no option for hard bags? A real sport-tourer needs hard bags.

They do come with the Touring Package along with heated grips and taller windscreen.  You can see them at the 12:00 mark of this vid below.  The Ducati only has a 4.2 gallon tank so it won't have anywhere near the range of the Interceptor.

They do come with the Touring Package along with heated grips and taller windscreen.  You can see them at the 12:00 mark of this vid below.  The Ducati only has a 4.2 gallon tank so it won't have anywhere near the range of the Interceptor.

Bags are nice, and I do love the sound of that Ducati. Also better electronics than the VFR, and a up/down quick-shifter as well. Ergonomics seem to be about the same, but has options for different seats, and a taller adjustable windscreen. A bit more power doesn't hurt either, but I assume all this is definitely going to bring the price well above the VFR.

• Member Contributer
5 hours ago, Rambler358 said:

Bags are nice, and I do love the sound of that Ducati. Also better electronics than the VFR, and a up/down quick-shifter as well. Ergonomics seem to be about the same, but has options for different seats, and a taller adjustable windscreen. A bit more power doesn't hurt either, but I assume all this is definitely going to bring the price well above the VFR.

The end of this vid has the pricing in British pounds, not sure what it is in US dollars.

Supersport 11,495 British pounds

Supersport S (red) 12,795

Supersport S (white) 12,995

(Edit:  According to Sportrider, "MSRP for the base SuperSport is $12,995, while the SuperSport S retails for $14,795."

http://www.sportrider.com/2017-ducati-supersport-first-look

IIRC, MSRP for 8th gen VFR was originally $12,499 for base and $13,499 for the deluxe, but Honda has since cut the MSRP at least in the USA for the leftover '14 and '15s.)

According to the vid the bike redlines at only 10K rpm, which I suppose is okay for a large twin.   What's the deal with the funky LED position/marker lights?  Can they not be turned off?  It looks like the actual headlights are plain bulbs but they don't seem to come on automatically like every other motorcycle - I don't think I've ever seen a pic/vid with the actual headlights on unless I'm missing something.  I'd rather have the actual headlights be LED like on the Interceptor.

There's not much about this Ducati that makes me want to run out and trade in my VFR for one.  In fact, I suspect there might have been an 8th gen Interceptor in Bologna when this Ducati Supersport was being created.

I'm digging the Ducati. The exhaust, red frame but not red wheels. There some nit-pick things that I don't like about it like the rear non integrated blinkers and no hard luggage option, but so does VFR has its own cons. 

15K for Ducati IMO is priced well. You get power less weight, better suspension, and electronics than VFR.

• Member Contributer

I'd love to have the Duc.  Not enough to run out and buy one since I have a VFR.  I also don't look at these bikes as "either, or".  They both have huge pluses and minor minuses.  Just get both of them if one is passionate enough about both of them.  I've had MBS and got over it.    

• Member Contributer
10 hours ago, GatorGreg said:

Couple of commercials to compare and contrast.  I prefer the styling and sound of the VFR.  The red wheels on the Ducati look clownlike while the bronze wheels of the VFR look gorgeous.  The dash of the VFR is also far superior IMO - I love me a real tach!   The Ducati's dash looks like a cheap screen from an old Nintendo GameBoy - no thanks.

Disagree with you on the red wheels...me likey!  Agree with you on the VFR dash.  Thanks for posting the videos sir.

• Member Contributer

Is Ducati touting it as a "Sport-Tourer" or is this what VFR and magazine people are labeling it? I'm more inclined to think that it is a sport bike first and yet, with ergos that allow for more than just quick jaunts around the track and canyons.

Personally I do not think this is a Ducati "VFR" or a replacement for the VFR in my stable, in fact I have a Super Sport, albeit a 21 year old, and 2 VFRs in my stable and although my SS is no where near being a touring bike, the ergos are not bad for a SS but given the option, I'd take either VFR if I'm going anywhere long distance. In all honesty, I would love to have this SS but I would need to replace my current one due to limited space in my garage but I can't seem to want to part with my ole '95 SS!

It seems that it's the VFR crowd that has the biggest aversion to this SS, somehow thinking Ducati is trying to knock their bike off the top step but in reality, this is just another bike that can do more than just one thing. Maybe it's partly due to Honda not really touting the VFR or giving more attention to it, who knows maybe this SS will give Honda the push it needs to get the VFR back to its roots as one of the best "do it all" motorcycles and winning all those magazine awards and accolades it use to garner.

Is there anyone who thinks VFR is on top of any step or sport touring category? The only thing VFR has over competitors is proven reliability, great gas mileage (87 octane) and good range. This Duc, if ergos are the same, this is exactly what most of us want (not necessarily need) in a V4 configuration, and the option for hard bags. 

On paper, this looks like a great bike. Out of my price range but good job to Ducati. Their bike line-up has some great options.

I sat on the SS last month at our motorcycle show and found the ergonomics much more relaxed / comfortable (I am 5'-9") than the stock VFR.

The handlebars on the SS are back a bit and you sit more upright…was quite surprised to find a comfortable Ducati sport bike.

If developed a bit further as a sport tourer (e.g. handbags, better range, etc.) the SS would be a strong competitor against the VFR - especially as the price is similar to the full price of the Honda.

If I didn't already have my '15 Interceptor, I think this Ducati S model with the Touring package would be my first pick between it and the VFR. Would I trade in my VFR for this new SuperSport? No. But if I didn't already have the VFR, I doubt that I'd get it now that this new Ducati is almost out.

I am definately going to have a test ride when they become available, however sitting on one at a bike show, two things concern me, you seem 'trapped' into the seat and the view of the cockpit area looks cheap compared with the VFR.  the answer will be in the riding, having had Ducati's before; make sure you do ride before buying, they can be 'lumpy' at lower revs.

• Member Contributer

I sat on one at the Chicago bike show.  Looks like a good option in this category.  Nice to see that Ducati has some hard bags- I hadn't seen those before the video posted above only the semi rigid bags.   I am interested in taking the local Ducati dealer's demo for a spin at some point.

Here is a great link to the Motorcycle.com "7 things you didn't know about the new Ducati Supersport".  Seems that in the comments section many are saying that this is the VFR that the 8th gen should have been.

http://www.motorcycle.com/manufacturer/ducati/2017-ducati-supersport-7-things-you-didnt-know.html

EDIT- GOOD ONE DUCATI- THOSE AREN'T HARD BAGS- THEY LOOK LIKE HARD BAGS BUT ARE SEMI RIGID.  THANKS TO ZACK AT MOTORCYCLIST FOR POINTING THAT OUT!

021717-Ducati-Supersport-7-Things-image05.jpg

2017-ducati-supersport-touring-pack-pannier.jpg

On ‎19‎/‎02‎/‎2017 at 0:49 PM, Carlosfandango said:

I am definately going to have a test ride when they become available, however sitting on one at a bike show, two things concern me, you seem 'trapped' into the seat and the view of the cockpit area looks cheap compared with the VFR.  the answer will be in the riding, having had Ducati's before; make sure you do ride before buying, they can be 'lumpy' at lower revs.

Agree that when I sat one at our bike show the plastics around the cockpit area looked made to a price. Will still test one though along with the new triumph triple and Z100sx, decisions, decisions.

• Member Contributer
On 2/19/2017 at 0:05 PM, Alaskan said:

To my eyes it looks virtually indistinguishable from the 8th Gen VFR.

Troublemaker!  ;-)

Well yeah, it does have two wheels.  And a single-sided swingarm.

The Duc's bodywork seems to have more styling touches.

And for those who care, in addition to the DRL eyebrows that are so much "the thing" on contemporary automobiles, the Duc has USD forks!  Think of the bench races you could win, hands-down!!!

With almost a gallon and a half less fuel capacity and what I predict to be a greater thirst for fuel, range will definitely be a compromise.

And notice how they never show you what the road version looks like with the bag hardware in place, sans bags.  Hmmm...

• Member Contributer

I tell you what looks way better to me...

$8k- $8500 out the door for a 2014 Interceptor DLX

vs.

$13k-$15k out the door on the Ducati!

:goofy:

Archived