Power Commander 2

Burns

• Member Contributer

so, who knows about the Power Commander 2's?   seems to be very limited information on Dynojet's site.  Anyone have the software download and are the maps the same between the PC2 and the PC3's?

Are you making any changes to it? Should already be mapped by previous owner right? Otherwise I think you could pick up the PC3.  Or get it tuned but not sure if dyno centers use the 2 or if they are compatible with all software.

Art

• Member Contributer

I uploaded a bunch of old powercommander maps and the software to edit PC2 and PC3 maps to the downloads section:

There is another I just saw by knight that is more recent:

There might be useful files in either of those.  Good luck!

• Member Contributer

thanks for the replies..  I'll start with the downloads and see what works.  The plan is to switch over to the pre-2000 headers (to lose the cat and some weight) and then go w/ a '99 map.   I'm to understand that the PCii's also have ignition advance feature in them, so that's something else to explore.

Be careful with the ignition advance feature. I used one of Hispanic Slammers maps from his 98 that had the ignition advanced and my bike ran well right up until about 9k or 10k rpm where it abruptly stopped gaining rpm. I did that 2 or 3 times to verify things and quickly changed the map. Not sure what would be different about the '00 & '01 bikes to cause that, but ignition advancement did not work for my 2001.

• Member Contributer
46 minutes ago, wera803 said:

Be careful with the ignition advance feature. I used one of Hispanic Slammers maps from his 98 that had the ignition advanced and my bike ran well right up until about 9k or 10k rpm where it abruptly stopped gaining rpm. I did that 2 or 3 times to verify things and quickly changed the map. Not sure what would be different about the '00 & '01 bikes to cause that, but ignition advancement did not work for my 2001.

looks like the manual I found agrees...  :beer:

Honda VFR800

Table 1 AAP (barometric pressure sensor)
This table can be used to add or remove fuel from 10% through 100% throttle. The maximum value for
adding fuel is "9". The maximum value for removing fuel is "-35".
Table 2 TP (throttle position)
This table can be used to add fuel at throttle settings between 5% and 80% if Table 1 does not allow the
desired fuel ratio. Small changes in this table equal large changes in fuel delivery.
Table 3 MP (manifold pressure/vacuum)
This table is used to adjust fuel delivery at small throttle openings, 0% through 5%. Large values are
required to make a noticeable change in fuel delivery (steps of "5" or so). Maximum value is "125", but if
a value over "35" is used it might be necessary to use Table 2 in this area.
Table 4 Ignition
Adjustment for ignition timing is +4/-11 degrees. Timing is adjustable from 2,000 rpm to redline at all
throttle positions. On street bikes with normal fuel, advancing the timing does little to improve power. It is
possible on some models to achieve small gains as long as the highest octane fuel available is used.

• Member Contributer

eventually I hope to do that.. and my final setup should be similar to yours....   this is mostly research on my part currently. since I really have no information on what's loaded in the bike or such...

Well from what I understand, you just acquired the bike from the PO right?  Everything set up on it as you received it?  Unless he did a hack job, it should have the correct map, or fairly close one for it.  How does it run?  I understand wanting to know what is actually on the unit and moving on from there.  Have you tried emailing dynojet to see what your options are for legacy product?

• Member Contributer

You didn't say if you had a cable or not.  The PC2 uses an RS-232 serial connection and some (most? many? all?) usb to serial adapter cables will not connect correctly.  I bought 2 different ones since I was aware of the issue, and neither worked.  I ended up using a really old laptop that still had a serial port.

1 hour ago, MadScientist said:

You didn't say if you had a cable or not.  The PC2 uses an RS-232 serial connection and some (most? many? all?) usb to serial adapter cables will not connect correctly.  I bought 2 different ones since I was aware of the issue, and neither worked.  I ended up using a really old laptop that still had a serial port.

Burns I can sell you a really old laptop with a serial port for $20.  You would need to find your own copy of windows for it though.

• Member Contributer

LOL... probably have have 2 or 3 old laptops sitting in the den.. and a USB/serial cable or two laying around.  The PO swapped pipes from an aftermarket back to a stock pipe (working on fixing that).   My plan is to swap to '99 headers (to loose the cat) and some sort of high-mount.. haven't cracked the airbox yet, so no idea what filter is in there, if the flapper been done, etc.   Haven't really even gotten to properly ride the bike yet, due to wx and work - what little I have done, I've noticed an odd stumble/delay right off idle - very brief.   I don't recall this on the other 5th gens I've ridden.

Dynojet did send me a couple links - basically what I already found on their site.  install for the hardware, and the control software.   I had to scour the inet for a user manual of the software.

• 11 months later...
On 2/17/2017 at 9:49 AM, MadScientist said:

Worked perfectly for mine. Dell Venue Pro (2015?), Windows 10, running Virtualised XP (with USB pas-through), assigned the comm port to (X) and changed the Power Commander software preferences to suit, and it fired right up.

I bought this cable based on a recommendation from a member here. After I installed the drivers on a Windows 7 laptop, I tried it. Thought it didn't work, them I had the thought to try holding all the buttons down while I switched the ignition to on. It didn't immediately work, but when I then tried it again and held the buttons down for about fifteen seconds (or so), and it connected! As long as I follow this protocol, it connects every time! 

Sabrent USB 2.0 to Serial (9-Pin) DB-9 RS-232 Converter Cable, Prolific Chipset, Hexnuts, [Windows 10/8.1/8/7/VISTA/XP, Mac OS X 10.6 and Above] 2.5 Feet (CB-DB9P) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00IDSM6BW/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_taa_qAPFAbAGQNDCA

I installed a map that uses 93 octane. I have a K&N air filter with Delkevic header and a Two Brothers Racing pipe. I'm wrapping up some fairing repairs and then I'll be riding again.

Archived