Supercharging my 8th Gen

Jibbles

Hi guys.

Well Ive blown my savings.

spare 8th gen motor in the mail, plus a rotrex c15-60 is on my bench

I am intending on nestling the supercharger in the vee of the motor, splitting the throttle bodies further apart, and driving off the alternator side so I dont need to molest the fairings.

following the same philosophy as the 6th gen mounting arrangement doesnt work as well due to the radiators being in front of the engine.

I really wish A&A was still around as I would have just gone straight to the source,

But Im asking for those of you that have had some experience with the kits in this to please lend me a hand.

a few questions in relation to the 6th gen kit.

did the original map sensor get used ?

was any pressure related corrections sent to the power commander?

does anyone have a 6th gen map they could pm me as a starting point?

do we know what fuel pump was used in the kit?

thats probably enough for now.

As you saw by my hand made exhaust, i can work out all the mechanicals easy.

just need a hand with the sensors etc if you all wouldnt mind.

should be a fun build!

by the time its all done I will have one well opened up 8th gen!

IMG_1096.PNG

Hi guys.

Well Ive blown my savings.
spare 8th gen motor in the mail, plus a rotrex c15-60 is on my bench

I am intending on nestling the supercharger in the vee of the motor, splitting the throttle bodies further apart, and driving off the alternator side so I dont need to molest the fairings.

following the same philosophy as the 6th gen mounting arrangement doesnt work as well due to the radiators being in front of the engine.

I really wish A&A was still around as I would have just gone straight to the source,
But Im asking for those of you that have had some experience with the kits in this to please lend me a hand.
a few questions in relation to the 6th gen kit.
did the original map sensor get used ?
was any pressure related corrections sent to the power commander?
does anyone have a 6th gen map they could pm me as a starting point?
do we know what fuel pump was used in the kit?

thats probably enough for now.
As you saw by my hand made exhaust, i can work out all the mechanicals easy.
just need a hand with the sensors etc if you all wouldnt mind.
should be a fun build!
by the time its all done I will have one well opened up 8th gen!

IMG_1096.thumb.PNG.df294054c2707cbeebf12a4e99ee6297.PNG

Not much time to answer right now,
But fuel pump is walbro, fit to OEM armature.

I'm riding the 5th gen though.

• Member Contributer
1 hour ago, WackenSS said:

Not much time to answer right now,
But fuel pump is walbro, fit to OEM armature.

I'm riding the 5th gen though.

That sounds right for the 6th as well. The actual pump was included. Stock is removed and replaced in the assembly with the included one. The fuel pressure regulator was replaced with one from (I believe) ST1300/Blackbird. It was a new from Honda part, but I didn't save the packaging with the part#. I did look it up at the time, and I think it was the 1300/1100 one.

I don't recall any sensors being replaced. Nothing related to pressure was sent to the PC. It didn't include a boost gauge, but they had suggestions for where to have it plumbed in, if I recall.

The beauty of the A&A was mounting the drive pulley on the crank using the timing cover.

I don't own one, but I put together a 6th Gen kit for a friend over the summer last year. I don't have the instructions on hand at the moment. 

That sounds right for the 6th as well. The actual pump was included. Stock is removed and replaced in the assembly with the included one. The fuel pressure regulator was replaced with one from (I believe) ST1300/Blackbird. It was a new from Honda part, but I didn't save the packaging with the part#. I did look it up at the time, and I think it was the 1300/1100 one.
I don't recall any sensors being replaced. Nothing related to pressure was sent to the PC. It didn't include a boost gauge, but they had suggestions for where to have it plumbed in, if I recall.
The beauty of the A&A was mounting the drive pulley on the crank using the timing cover.
I don't own one, but I put together a 6th Gen kit for a friend over the summer last year. I don't have the instructions on hand at the moment. 

I kind of remember that the fuel regulator was stock vfr 5th gen, but adjusted for 3.5ish bar? Many years have passed since I first assembled this. I am pretty sure I have the OEM number and the box it came in.
No sensors relocated on mine just a one way valve tubed in anotherway so the ecm don't detect pressure.

I have the A&A instructions, and all the packaging at home

• Member Contributer

I would think re-inventing the wheel would be a lot more work than re-locating the radiator...

I've uploaded the 5th gen instructions, but the big photo of the kit for the 5th gen showed every single part in the kit, I believe.  I would expect that the 6th gen kit photo does also?

The main challenge would be to mount the supercharger and drive pulleys--especially if you're not doing what A&A did--the other stuff will be relatively easy to sort.

Ciao,

98-01_VFR800_Instruction_Manual_(low_quality).pdf

Torocharger-kit layout4.jpg

• Member Contributer

Wow loved that download JZH. I always wondered how the supercharger was installed, thanks.

Awesome stuff. Keep in mind the eighth gens have much higher dynamic compression than the sixth gens (higher static compression plus softer cam timing), so you going to want to be careful with the psi and ignition timing. Your free flowing exhaust should help out dramatically though.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Spot on candyredrc46.

hence why I will be spacing the heads around 2-3mm to bring comp down to a more sensible level.

I will know the final target thickness once i measure head & piston volumes.

I plan on getting some brackets water cut so I will do the head gaskets in copper at the same time.

the 8th gens share the same intake cam but a different exhaust cam as the 6th gens, looking at the part numbers.

makes you wonder if its worth a swap out.

once I get some plans drafted up I will show you guys the intended design

but basically the airbox will still take a flat panel airfilter.

the throttle bodies are splayed out to accept the supercharger between them

with lengthened intake runners by about 4 inches.

heres a question - will spacing the injectors further away from the cylinders affect anything?

i will do the velocity/ timing calcs to check.

one could guess that at lower revs where there is vacuum that this may be of some effect, but at higher revs

where there is boost pressure i cannot see this as an issue.

thoughts ?

all will live under the tank so that riding through the rain will not be a concern.

I was originally intending on mounting it below and in front of the motor, but

the idea of cold wet and muddy air put me off.

I live in the tropics so Its very , um, tropical ?

photos of the throttle bodies milled flat and the wee rotrex in all its glory

IMG_1126.JPG

IMG_1127.JPG

9 hours ago, Jibbles said:

Spot on candyredrc46.

hence why I will be spacing the heads around 2-3mm to bring comp down to a more sensible level.

I plan on getting some brackets water cut so I will do the head gaskets in copper at the same time.

What is your goal for static compression ratio? Maybe 10:1? I was playing with the Zealautowerks.com calculator, assuming a .026 in factory headgasket, adding 0.035 in (0.889mm), bought the compression down from 11.8:1 to 10.0:1. adding 2mm brought it down to 8.5:1 and adding 3mm brought it down to 7.45:1. I don't have the factory numbers (Combustion chamber volume or piston dome volume), so I could be off a bit. What about leaving the headgaskets alone and just pulling some ignition timing? That would be way simpler and more efficient and negate the need to adjust cam timing, since adjusting deck height can retard/advance the cam gears..

the 8th gens share the same intake cam but a different exhaust cam as the 6th gens, looking at the part numbers.

I thought the intake cams were different and the exhaust had the same cams, but different porting?

heres a question - will spacing the injectors further away from the cylinders affect anything?

one could guess that at lower revs where there is vacuum that this may be of some effect, but at higher revs

thoughts ?

I think with the injectors further from the ports, low end fueling will suffer a bit and topend fueling will improve somewhat. Think about most modern sport bikes with 8 injectors. The shower head injectors are used for topend, while the lower port injectors are used for lowend.

all will live under the tank so that riding through the rain will not be a concern.

IMG_1126.JPG

IMG_1127.JPG

• Member Contributer
10 hours ago, Jibbles said:

Spot on candyredrc46.

thoughts ?

Are you planning on making the CAD files of the machined parts..."available", perchance?  :tongue:

Ciao,

• 2 months later...

Archived