97 Low Fuel Indicator

• Member Contributer

For the first time since purchasing this bike three years ago, the Low Fuel light came on.  I did not think it worked, would come-on at bulb test but even with the fuel gauge showing "E" never saw the light, until yesterday.  Looking into the fuel tank I can see the Low Fuel "sensor" and can see that there sure is not much fuel remaining before it will come on.  Manual says 0.87 US gals remain when light comes on....I find that difficult to believe....so thought I would ask the Forum if that is really true.

So when the Low Fuel light comes on and running a steady pace how many miles before engine stops?

Thanks...got a few miles in yesterday....temp was 89°F....this is February?

• Member Contributer

This is reassuring - I thought there was something wrong with mine. I haven’t finished my build yet but when I first fitted the empty tank I’m sure the warning light was on. Later I added a very small amount of fuel and still expected to see the warning light when I switched the ignition on. However the light comes on initially at bulb test but then goes out. I can’t say how much is in the tank other than its very, very low and I wouldn’t expect to go very far.

I went by my odometer/trip meter to judge fuel quantity/distance, and normally filled up around the 150 mile mark. Ask around and see what the average MPG is for the specific model you want info on, as mine is heavily modified, build for track days, not MPG, and will be different than the average VFR here.

I get mid 30's mpg on my 96. I've got a super tall MRA touring screen and some fat hard bags on the side and i'm over 200lbs with my power ranger outfit on. Also i do almost exclusively stop and go city driving. No ida when the low fuel light comes on, i almost never let it get that low. More fuel in the tank means less space for air, meaning less chance for rust. We also get garbage fuel here, so i run stabil almost all the time so the carbs don't get gunked up, i cleaned em and synced em when i got it up and running last year and it has been great ever since.

http://www.fuelly.com/motorcycle/honda/vfr750/1996/ninjabortion/406074

Same here in the 40 some miles. This was the first things i did on the vfr just to get a feel for how that gauge acts is to deliberately run it out,  low light came on went around 45 miles before it stated to stumbled,  I was close to home. ;) 

• Member Contributer

The low fuel sensor arm has a rubber roller on it to position the sensor a set distance from the bottom of the fuel tank, no easy way to make it sit higher so that it would come on earlier.  I actually have a spare assembly (thought I needed to replace it) so I am able to see it out of the tank.  The way the sensor works is that the fuel cools the sensor which keeps the resistance high, but when the fuel level drops enough, the sensor resistance decreases and allows the light to illuminate.

The sensor sits in a depression at the rear and bottom of the tank, towards the forks of where the tank outlet is.  The depression catches and pools the remaining fuel as long as the bike is up.  So I can see going 40 miles of straight road with the Low Fuel lite on...would be nervous miles though.  Like most people I just watch the fuel gauge; when needle points to "E" I stop for fuel.  But is good to know now that the Low Fuel lite works.  I so remember my first Honda that had the two position fuel petcock, ON and RESERVE...I knew real well how many miles I had left when I had to go to RESERVE setting.

Anyways thanks for the replies.

Archived