instability on rough road

Jibbles

hi guys

I wanted to get some honest feedback from other 8th gen owners about the handling of their bike.

the other day while overtaking some vehicles down hill at a reasonable clip I hit a few bumps.

while this didnt result in headshake, the bike became unsettled to the point where I wasnt feeling too 

good about the situation, i was about 2 seconds off getting thrown.

Like any ride, you shake it off at first while your still on the bike , but then, the after ride fear and reflection sets in and you think to yourself " how close was I to coming off then?"

Im seeing allot of crashed 8th gens while hunting for rainy day spares.

they were not sold on the scale of the 600 or litrebike market  which concerns me.

so, who else has had a near miss, and what have you done to settle the beast down?

• Member Contributer

Maybe need to have a tinker with your suspension.  Never had any problems with the handlinglike yours .I didn't get on with the roadsmart 3 but when put on t30 evos handling was transformed. 

totally agree fink.

its the direction I am heading  in.

howsver just like the TLR days, you always wonder if there is an inherent problem with a bike model.

the whole vfr layout is all very generic, but its sort of a first for me.

1198 ducati, xr650, vfr750, all no probs.

new vfr- wants to kill me ?????

• Member Contributer

Does your VFR have the fully adjustable forks and rear?

If so, what kind of settings are you using? I found that the factory dampening settings were good for most roads, but the preload on front/back was much too soft for anyone my size (190lbs/86kg).

From a technique point of view, when you hit rough road your initial instinct is to tighten up on the bars. That action will exacerbate the shake/instability. I don't want to insult your riding since I don't know you, but I'm just pointing out the obvious as an impartial internet observer.

Compared to the 600cc supersports I've owned the 8th gen VFR feels quite a bit more stable on rough roads, but it also has a longer wheel base and more upright seating position.

• Member Contributer
2 minutes ago, lazyeye said:

Does your VFR have the fully adjustable forks and rear?

If so, what kind of settings are you using? I found that the factory dampening settings were good for most roads, but the preload on front/back was much too soft for anyone my size (190lbs/86kg).

From a technique point of view, when you hit rough road your initial instinct is to tighten up on the bars. That action will exacerbate the shake/instability. I don't want to insult your riding since I don't know you, but I'm just pointing out the obvious as an impartial internet observer.

Compared to the 600cc supersports I've owned the 8th gen VFR feels quite a bit more stable on rough roads, but it also has a longer wheel base and more upright seating position.

Only you guys got a choice the rest of the world got fully adjustable. 

• Member Contributer
Just now, fink said:

Only you guys got a choice the rest of the world got fully adjustable. 

Now I know.

I sprung the extra money for the "Deluxe" so I could get the fully adjustable suspension and other gizmos.

• Member Contributer

Fair enough  reasonably adjustable, compared to race reps ,of which probably 95% of owners wouldn't have a clue what to do with the adjustment so don't touch them. 

I've run the stock suspension pretty hard, and while I plan for it to be my next upgrade, it's far from unstable. 

It doesn't like to be man handled at the more extreme lean angles, it feels like it's trying to fold itself in two, but when it does it to me, I chalk it off to rider error; Cuz when I'm smooth, she rewards in kind. 

On February 10, 2017 at 0:42 AM, Jibbles said:

hi guys

I wanted to get some honest feedback from other 8th gen owners about the handling of their bike.

the other day while overtaking some vehicles down hill at a reasonable clip I hit a few bumps.

while this didnt result in headshake, the bike became unsettled to the point where I wasnt feeling too 

good about the situation, i was about 2 seconds off getting thrown.

Like any ride, you shake it off at first while your still on the bike , but then, the after ride fear and reflection sets in and you think to yourself " how close was I to coming off then?"

Im seeing allot of crashed 8th gens while hunting for rainy day spares.

they were not sold on the scale of the 600 or litrebike market  which concerns me.

so, who else has had a near miss, and what have you done to settle the beast down?

Try these adjustments http://vfrworld.com/forums/showthread.php/50175-Dave-moss-tweaks-for-Stock-eighth-gen-suspension

in Europe , we only have what you call the "deluxe" version of the bike. Its hydrolics is set too stiff by default. If the US settings are the same, I suggest to unscrew the front by half a turn and unscrew the rear by 3/4 of a turn. You'll notice a major change in handling.

Archived