4th Gen VFR Minor Teardown then Rebuilt

Long Story but here goes nothing,

Back in October of 2016, My dad bought me (a 16 year old) a 1996 VFR with 40,000 miles for $1500 which was basically like stealing it ;). Once we brought it home the next morning I was already tearing the thing down not knowing anything about it and did it slowly and carefully. After that Day 2 was degrease and clean the whole bike which was tough because the previous owner didn't have any knowledge of the bike or how to fix or clean anything at all. Then it was time for all the actual maintenance. What I noticed after we tore all the fairings off was that all the really important expensive small things were missing like screws and fairing pieces, etc. The bike first got all new fluids and filters (oil, coolant flush, brake fluid, clutch fluid, etc. After knowing that the previous owner never did any maintenance we decided to take the carbs off for a cleaning not knowing that they had never ever in 20 years been taken out.... It was hard work but carbs got cleaned and put back in. Meanwhile to clean the fairings we got a wild hair and decided to use NuFinish Scratch Remover on all panels which very surprisingly made everything look as if it was new and shiny. The last thing we did was a front suspension rebuild. We ended up getting new springs (Racetech 0.95 kg) and OEM seals and bushings along with Pro Honda SS8 10w fork oil. After the front suspension rebuild we noticed that the rear was too low in ride height and sag and ended up finding a jack up kit on ebay from Lust Racing that would raise the rear 1 inch. All in all the things that costed the most money was buying the original screws and little tid bits from Honda.  When it was finally finished we all took it for a test ride and wow did all those little things make a difference. Here are some of the pictures of before and after and some maintenance pictures.

P.S. In some of the pictures you will see my dads 1996 Honda CBR600F3 that is completley stock and unmolested and yes it has a mint stock exhaust.

20161008_174308.jpg

20161008_174321.jpg

20161210_203058.jpg

20161210_203115.jpg

20170201_164902.jpg

20170201_164907.jpg

20170201_164918.jpg

20170201_164932.jpg

• Member Contributer

"Teach 'm young" as my dad used to say....

Tyres, do check the DOT code to see how old they are and if the thread depth is 2+ mm

Electrics... whip out the multimeter and check AC output with a warm engine at iddle and 5,000RPM. Check voltage at idle and 5,0000RPM.

Check the connectors/wiring from altenator to RR and starting relay (the red.green thingie).

Or if you are feeling bored, buy a altenator cover gasket and inspect the altenator for crispyness...

Keep up the good work (and the rubber side down); at your age all I was legally allowed to ride was a 50cc moped,

Thanks for the tips dutchy :). Ive already discovered some of the potential of the VFR and its all I need, i dont need anymore power all I need is good sound ;). 

Yes sir 16 years old and yes I am very thankful for what my dad did but it wouldnt have happened if it wasnt for me already knowing most of the concepts of riding and motorsports. :)

Dutchy brings up some good points,  not for power, but reliability.   If you haven't,  a quick going over the RR charging system would be a great idea, simple enough to do,  as it being at an age it could bite you. On tires yea them too, nothing worse than good ole hard rubber tires not able to keep you up under power or not.  ;)   Other wise what a nice find,  take care of that Viffer and it will reward you with some great times.

• 1 month later...

RR is a decent shout but, according to the pics, it already has a finned RR so someone somewhere along the line has looked after/replaced/modified it. Won't hurt to got through all your earth points though and make sure they're nice 'n' shiny.

It is a great bike - arguably Honda's finest moment for the road. Keep it between the bushes and let us know how you get on with it...

• 1 month later...

take a little metal polish on a micro fiber towel to that exhaust can and pipe. You'd be surprised at what it'll look like afterwards.  You can use this tip on anything aluminum too, like the brake and clutch handles.

Thanks for the tip with the Lust Racing link. I have been looking to raise the tail of my own and did not realize they produced that piece. Cheers to two great looking bikes!

Archived