Tank Protection (Tank Slapper film)

14thumper

Hi,

Has anyone installed this on their 8th gen before?  I just ordered a kit for the tank and the pieces don't line up well at all.  It would require a lot of trimming to make this look right and if I install the way they came they'll look like junk because there's no adhesive to hold these down.  The worst fitting area the side tank pieces that extend well below the side lower plastic trim pieces and also over the OEM clear film that's on the bottom rear of the tank.  If I trim these myself I can't make the lines smooth like they're supposed to be.

Thanks,

• Member Contributer

Have it on mine 3m ventura shield. Have got to say the only problem I had with mine were on the leading edges of the fairing (but got it sorted ) and the inner V on the headlight couldn't  get it to sit flush but it isn't noticeable.

My kit  was well measured out and fitted no problems apart from the operator ones above.

• Member Contributer
8 hours ago, 14thumper said:

Hi,

Has anyone installed this on their 8th gen before?  I just ordered a kit for the tank and the pieces don't line up well at all.  It would require a lot of trimming to make this look right and if I install the way they came they'll look like junk because there's no adhesive to hold these down.  The worst fitting area the side tank pieces that extend well below the side lower plastic trim pieces and also over the OEM clear film that's on the bottom rear of the tank.  If I trim these myself I can't make the lines smooth like they're supposed to be.

Thanks,

I had the same experience with my premade TS kits that I Ordered for my 5th and 6th gens.  The price was ok, but the fit was not that great.  Some areas were missing.  In the end we ended up making new pieces and adding to make a new kit (didn't end up using his), so the complete cost was higher than I expected.  The film itself is great.

The owner of Tankslapper was helpful and ended up giving me a refund on one of the unused kits.

IMHO if you have enough experience to do it yourself, make your own kit.  Otherwise I would just get the installer to make them for you.

• Member Contributer
On February 5, 2017 at 11:44 PM, 14thumper said:

Hi,

Thanks,

I have used TankSlapper on my 5th, 6th, and now 8th gen. bikes.  It's the best solution out there IMO.  I put mine on the 8th gen. before TankSlapper "designed" for the 8th gen.  I bought a 6th gen. kit, trimmed it to fit on both sides of the tank (very easy) then installed (maybe 15 minutes for both sides).   Glue isn't needed if you follow the instructions.  It's an install and forget solution that is hardly visible but to those that are looking for it.  On the back of the fuel tank, I used the black rubber ST1300 protector.  It's pricey but looks good and this is a hard wear point on the tank.  There ya go.  

I have it on my bike, in fact, my VFR was used to create the template as it was the first one Tank Slapperz had done. 

I asked him to remove the oem clear vinyl and extend the film below the black insert for a cleaner overall look, so you can blame me for that. 

That stated, it looks better without the OEM vinyl pieces sticking out. 

7 hours ago, 01ragtop said:

I have it on my bike, in fact, my VFR was used to create the template as it was the first one Tank Slapperz had done. 

I asked him to remove the oem clear vinyl and extend the film below the black insert for a cleaner overall look, so you can blame me for that. 

That stated, it looks better without the OEM vinyl pieces sticking out. 

Ah, ok this is the issue.  The vendor seems nice enough and is quite responsive so that's a nice experience but he's claiming it doesn't interfere with the OEM film (I won't remove it) and doesn't extend below the black trim.  But, in fact it does.  I'm guessing with so many kits he deals with he just forgot this detail you explained.  I could trim it but then the lines won't be as nice and I paid for a ready to install kit.

I recently bought a complete XPEL kit for my new 2014 VFR800D. I was not happy with it. The first two pieces I tried were the seat cowl and the little tailpiece behind it. Neither piece seemed to fit properly; very close but not quite right. At that point I gave up and did not even remove any other pieces from the backing. I've still got the film but don't expect to use it. I'd sell it at an attractive price.

I bought one for my bike last year.  Overall I was happy with it, but I did find some areas just didn't fit right and required cutting or trimming (e.g. Seat Cowl).

It was the best solution I could find out there and the parts that fit well were great.

Archived