SumSum 4 - Gauging Interest

didit

• Member Contributer

From the survey results of SUMSUM3 held in Montrose, CO, (2015), the location will be changing.

This summer, I'll be heading out with my research & destroy partner, to scout out new potential locations for a "possible" SumSum4, slated for summer 2018.

If you have interest in attending, suggestions for a location and/ or interest in helping out with the event, should it come to fruition, please chime in.

If you have no idea what a SumSum is, I suggest you search the site as there are plenty of references and threads from other members.

• Member Contributer

I would like to keep with the tradition and help in anyway . I would recommend if a change maybe around Hot Springs SD lots of great roads

• Member Contributer
On 01/02/2017 at 6:24 PM, gmtech94 said:

I would like to keep with the tradition and help in anyway . I would recommend if a change maybe around Hot Springs SD lots of great roads

I checked out Sturgis way back when (2003 ...) on a dual sport before the rally to see what all the fuss was about.  I was a couple of weeks ahead of the rally so tents were going up and there were already quite a few pirates roaming the countryside.  Nice roads through Rapid City, Spearfish, Deadwood, Custer, etc. in the Black Hills National Forest.  Lots of great scenery and wild west history, some twisties, but not high speed ones (speed limits, tourist traffic, road work).  If we avoid the pirate convention by a few weeks it could be interesting to revisit the area.  (Canadian peso is taking quite a kicking at the moment however ...)

50 minutes ago, Lee 2002 said:

Have Kansas flag, will travel to points as yet unknown.

Lee, did you fix up the fifth gen, buy another VFR, or change religions? :smile: (I see it now says there's a 2002 in your garage ...)

19 minutes ago, Belfry said:

Lee, did you fix up the fifth gen, buy another VFR, or change religions? :smile: (I see it now says there's a 2002 in your garage ...)

I've always had the '02.   I put new plastic on the motorcycle..... and that is really about it.    In reality, it is/was a daily rider that got washed when it rained.   It looks OK from 20 foot, and I'm happy with that.    Mechanically it is still solid, and that is what matters to me.

<vows not to be 'that guy', if there is SumSum4>

....off to look for the TMac '17 thread.

gallery_6587_7504_402915 (1).jpg

• Member Contributer
1 hour ago, Lee 2002 said:

I've always had the '02.   I put new plastic on the motorcycle..... and that is really about it.    In reality, it is/was a daily rider that got washed when it rained.   It looks OK from 20 foot, and I'm happy with that.    Mechanically it is still solid, and that is what matters to me.

Bad memory on my part--in my mind's eye your bike was a pristine 5th gen.  Glad to hear you fixed her up. I've always believed bikes were made to be ridden, fixed when necessary, and ridden some more. :fing02:

• Member Contributer

Plotting routes this weekend.  Will be out there, searching for the next great memory this July.

If we find it, and can do it, it will happen.  Shyte, even if it's just the 2, 3, 5, 6, 8 of us, it'll be fun.

Of course, I need to figure out how to make it just that little bit better than the last.

That'll be a challenge, as Phil from Horsefly Brewing in Montrose was such a strong supporter.

To Phil those shoes, phind the phabulous place to ride, eat, drink, be merry phauckers in the pharking lot, that will be the phorth coming challenge.

Bring your phlags and don't phorget to phil your tanks with gas.  Enougph's enougph.

Hmmm, is there need for a teaser video production again?

• Member Contributer

jimbob, thanks for the suggestion.  We've done the last 2 out of Montrose and enjoyed many of the area roads.  Fantastic!

Not sure where the next will be as of yet.  Checking out 3 different potentials this summer.

gswanson, good to know you'll be there.  Guaranteed it will be as memorable or better than the last.

Thinking back to the first one in Dillon, Co.  SS4 will be 9 years in the making.

• Member Contributer

If I'm still alive then, I'm definitely coming. My experience in the Black Hills in the summer,even outside the pirate gathering, has seen the area crawling with gawkers and peepers. CROWDED.

I really like the southern Utah suggestion. It's my favorite place to ride so far. Otherworldly scenery.

I did think Montrose was a great gathering place with an ideal accommodations. Horse Fly, great breakfasts, a pool, and nice communal gathering place, just to name a few.

And there is The Black Canyon of the Gunnison. :wheel:

No matter where it's held, it will be great. Thank you didit. I really appreciate your efforts.

2 hours ago, MaxSwell said:

If I'm still alive then, I'm definitely coming.

Jeebus, that's a hell of a thought.   I would have thought they would have given up trying to kill you by now.   They've failed twice already.

15 hours ago, gswanson said:

I'm in, whatever the location.  I'm willing to help any way I can.

I'm beginning to suspect that Gary's hobbies include watching me get drunk.

• Member Contributer
15 hours ago, Lee 2002 said:

Jeebus, that's a hell of a thought.   I would have thought they would have given up trying to kill you by now.   They've failed twice already.

I'm beginning to suspect that Gary's hobbies include watching me get drunk.

At age 67 I've learned not to take any day for granted.

BTW, record warmth today: 60+F. Definitely going for a ride. And I won't need heated gear!:woohoo: 

And Lee, Gary is not the only one. :)

• Member Contributer

"I'm beginning to suspect that Gary's hobbies include watching me get drunk."

I don't know if it's a hobby, but it is sure as hell a lot of fun!

• Member Contributer

I am definitely interested in making this run. I will read up on the last Summer Summit ride report to see what went on and what went wrong. By summer 2018 I should be able to clear the calender in time.

• Member Contributer

See what went wrong?  Dig too deep and you'll never want to attend.

Heck, you might even find a cop and report us (yes, that's a dig for Timmy)

Been doing a SumSum ever 3rd year since '09.  First was in Dillon, CO.

You should find plenty of past posts, comments and (gulp) images to refer to.

• Member Contributer

I had a lot of fun at SS3 and am really looking forward to it again! The scenery was beautiful too. I haven't been a lot of places, so to get to see it on my bike, with my awesome hubby, and great friends makes it even better!

• Member Contributer
On 2/21/2017 at 6:26 AM, gswanson said:

"I'm beginning to suspect that Gary's hobbies include watching me get drunk."

I don't know if it's a hobby, but it is sure as hell a lot of fun!

Let's face facts. Everyone enjoys watching everyone else get their tipsiness on. And every one has a correspondingly good time. I recall no one fell over during the festivities.

No falls, no problems. At least while not riding.

True confession: while I was recovering from the first hooved forest rat confrontation, I was required to wear a wrist band that stated:

FALL RISK while in intensive care. So I'm certified for that. (I cannot find a favorite emoticon, the one of the happy rider.) (Fixed:) :tour: 

• Member Contributer
1 hour ago, MaxSwell said:

I was required to wear a wrist band that stated:

FALL RISK

(Light bulb!) Now if that doesn't give me an idea.  Thanks!

Archived