2015 VFR800 overheating

Vince

Hi,

I have a 2015 VFR800 which I purchased new in December 2015.  It has had an overheating problem from when I first got it.  In start stop traffic the coolant light has come on.  I have had to pull over and let it cool down.

Symptoms:
• Predominately in start stop traffic on hot days
• Fan cuts in normally at 105degC
• Temperature continues to rise and high coolant alarm light comes on
• Temperature still rises to 125degC
• Ambient temperature has been 27 degC or hotter
• Also noted that the bike temperature increases above the nominal 85deg C when running at speed (depending on ambient conditions)

Attached document has pictures taken of my instrument cluster when it was overheating.

I have taken the bike back several times to the local dealer get this issue fixed as it is covered by the two year warranty.  The service guys have:

• confirmed the overheating

• confirmed the correct fan kick in temperature, changed the coolant, pressure tested the system, checked the water pump, checked the sensor is reading right, changed the thermostat, supposedly checked the twin radiators and the water jacket for no blockages.  All was found to be OK.

Honda Australia are saying that this overtemperature is "normal" - but it obviously isn't  normal to have to pull your bike over to the side of the road and let it cool down.

The problem is either a "type" problem with all of these models of VFR800 or a specific problem with my bike. 

Has there been any other similar overheating problems with the 2015 8th generation VFRs?  If so, has Honda been able to fix them?

Thanks heaps for helping me with this frustrating problem.

Regards Vince   

VFR800 overheating.docx

• Member Contributer

What is the ambient air temperature when it does overheat? Just read your report.

I've only ridden my 6th Gen in those kind of temps, and not often, but the bike did get quite hot, especially in stop/start traffic. I'm not sure there is an issue which can be fixed, other than by not riding like that in those temps.

Sorry.

• Member Contributer

The bike should be able to run in those temps all day. My tuned 5th Gen with side mount rads has run in 32-33c temps without issue. So whilst they can get hot in stop go & will have the fan on they should NEVER reach 125c warning light. I'd grab a couple of electronic thermometers with wires to the sensor & fit them to the various inlets & outlets of the rads to see how the coolant flow is moving. 

Definitely a problem with your bike, if it was over 40c then I'd expect it might get quite hot, but not at 27c. If Honda Australia, are sticking their head in the sand, then go to Honda Japan, as this is well within design specs for climatic temperature norms.

Thanks Skids for your thoughts.  In Australia 27degC is pretty normal in summer...

Mohawk, I am thinking the same as you.  From what I have read on the web so far is that this is a particular problem with my bike.  I will just have to keep pushing this point and see what Honda Australia come up with. 

It is such a shame as I really love this bike.  I went down to the MotoGP at Phillip Island in October and it was fantastic (it is cold at that time of the year and I didn't have any temperature problems).

Will let you know how I go in getting the bike sorted out along with the "fix" for it.   

I've also got a 2015 Gen8 which I purchased new last October.

I've been riding it in traffic commuting to work in the Sydney heat over the last couple of weeks. We're talking ambient temperatures of over 36c and the highest I've seen the coolant temp was 105.

As soon as the thermo fan kicked in it goes back down to 99 in a short period of time. I'd say something's amiss with the cooling system.

Keep us posted

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Member Contributer

Am I seeing things,or is this a repeat post from another forum?

I would say there is a problem. Whilst I can understand the fans kicking in stop go traffic I wouldn't have thought it would have gone that high.

Thanks Silver.Moose, fink and Rsparky.  Will let you all know when I get a result.

My bike is still in the workshop.  Has been in there before Christmas.  They keep on suggesting that I come in and pick it up but if I do that I am sure they will lose interest in getting it fixed.

Rsparky, I was over in Phoenix and Scotsdale a fair few years ago.  You have some great roads over there.  I hired a car and headed to Sedona - no opportunity for a bike ride.  Looked like there are some good bike riding roads once you get off your magnificent highways! 

• 2 months later...
On 05/02/2017 at 6:59 PM, Vince said:

Thanks Silver.Moose, fink and Rsparky.  Will let you all know when I get a result.

My bike is still in the workshop.  Has been in there before Christmas.  They keep on suggesting that I come in and pick it up but if I do that I am sure they will lose interest in getting it fixed.

Rsparky, I was over in Phoenix and Scotsdale a fair few years ago.  You have some great roads over there.  I hired a car and headed to Sedona - no opportunity for a bike ride.  Looked like there are some good bike riding roads once you get off your magnificent highways! 

Result??

Archived