Ducati Supersport

• Member Contributer

I have been lusting for the faster Red one!  I plan to see if i can get a demo ride at the dealer in another few months or so..

I don't know why Big Red cant give us a souped-up VFR with better suspension, brakes, etc,,  

Film at 11.

• Member Contributer
5 minutes ago, jimbob said:

I have been lusting for the faster Red one!  I plan to see if i can get a demo ride at the dealer in another few months or so..

I don't know why Big Red cant give us a souped-up VFR with better suspension, brakes, etc,,  

Film at 11.

because Honda knows that's not what you really want...

• Member Contributer
18 hours ago, jimbob said:

Film at 11.

Because they give you the basics and then you can spend the extra to make it your own, rather than pay out on something more exotic and then change it anyway.

• Member Contributer
3 hours ago, Woodie said:

Because they give you the basics and then you can spend the extra to make it your own, rather than pay out on something more exotic and then change it anyway.

I have done that to my six-gen with a completely reconstructed suspension, and a batch of other various bits... it is competent, perfectly adequate, reliable, never lets me down, all that rubbish......  BUT it still lacks the pure sex appeal of the Ducati. Like a lot of things in life that i can visualize for myself....I may not actually pull the trigger, but I sure like to look. :beer:

• Member Contributer
3 hours ago, jim v said:

That bike certainly makes you sit up and take notice. Has Ducati fixed the expanding plastic fuel tank issue?

Ducati is not the only manufacturer to have this issue.  I did some research on this a while back when my Monster's tank deformed.  Tanks made with PA6 polyamide were susceptible to the deformation issue, which I am fairly certain is not in current use by any manufacturers as a fuel tank.  There doesn't seem to be an exact reason for this failure mode, though using ethanol containing fuels has a mildly positive correlation with fuel tank failure.

• Member Contributer
18 hours ago, jimbob said:

I have done that to my six-gen with a completely reconstructed suspension, and a batch of other various bits... it is competent, perfectly adequate, reliable, never lets me down, all that rubbish......  BUT it still lacks the pure sex appeal of the Ducati. Like a lot of things in life that i can visualize for myself....I may not actually pull the trigger, but I sure like to look. :beer:

I'm afraid the Ducati's do nowt for me. Admittedly I wouldn't turn one down but equally don't lust after one.

• Member Contributer

Then upon drooling over a close up picture i realize i dont own, or even know what tool i would need to even take a wheel off..  But im sure i could find what i need  down at Harbor Freight... ha ha ha!

• Member Contributer

Actually, I got mine at HF.  It's just a 12 point socket, couldn't find the actual metric socket but the closest SAE equivalent worked fine.  Was like 42 or 47mm, I don't remember anymore. The torque spec was something retarded and lining up the notches in the axle with the hole in the nut for the retainer pin was a huge bitch.

I'd love to have a new SS, but adjusting valves on the 4 valve heads is too much of a bitch.  The air cooled 2v 900 and DS 1000cc motors were my favorite, but everyone is playing the HP war now.

• Member Contributer
4 hours ago, DirtyRyda said:

I like the headlight from any angle except straight on. It looks like is has some kind of weird unibrow.

The new VFR headlight is very similar straight on.

• Member Contributer

If I didn't have an 8th gen, I would seriously look at this.  It would be fun in N. Ga. and W. NC or just were I live near there.  Wonder if it has the legendary high maintenance costs of some past Duc's?  With the much lower weight and much higher torque, it has to have some serious "go" power.    

It has what Honda should do with the VFR.  Apparently, Honda doesn't want to do that.  Ducati must be reading VFR forums and listening.  

The hard part, for me, would be choosing between this, Hypermotard, Monster, smaller Multistrada or Streetfighter. If I hadn't gone to the Honda/Yamaha dealer to inquire about the XSR before stumbling into the new VFR and getting V4 fever, Ducati had/has a lot that grabs my attention.

I got to see and sit on one at the bike show here in Minneapolis.  I'd take the small Multistrada over it everytime.  It was comfy to sit on for the most part, I just don't think it was finished very well and I don't like the look of it even in person.  I had a Hyperstrada and traded it in for my VFR.

• Member Contributer

I love the idea of the new SS, but don't see it having near the same capabilities.  More power yes, but the seating triangle looks constricted to me.  Also, the wind protections appears to be down from the Viffer.  Looking forward to the reviews as Duke's are seriously sexy.  I too worry about maintenance with them though, and the price of accessories is unreal.  

• Member Contributer

Here's Cycle World's coverage.  http://www.cycleworld.com/2017-ducati-supersport-is-sportbike-for-you-everyday-riders  There is no question that this would be a fun ride.  But I don't see it as a VFR replacement.  We squawk enough about fuel tank sizes and the SS's is only 4.2 gallons. That's CBR600 territory.  I'm not drinking the Ducati Kool-Aid anytime soon, but I think I could live the Multistrada 950 more easily than this.  Not nearly as cool, nor is it going to be as sharp in the twisties (19 in front wheel), but probably easier to live with.

Oh I don't see me getting rid of the VFR any time soon. As of right now mine is stock aside from an exhaust, but the SS might make a fun second bike with the VFR set up with a bias toward touring.

SO I have this question.  Did Ducati have the ST and Supersport bikes at the same time?  Or did the ST's replace the Supersport?  If they were both being made at the same time this new SS would seem to be trying to be a hybrid of both.

On ‎2‎/‎9‎/‎2017 at 9:21 AM, Africord said:

Here's Cycle World's coverage.  http://www.cycleworld.com/2017-ducati-supersport-is-sportbike-for-you-everyday-riders  There is no question that this would be a fun ride.  But I don't see it as a VFR replacement.  We squawk enough about fuel tank sizes and the SS's is only 4.2 gallons. That's CBR600 territory.  I'm not drinking the Ducati Kool-Aid anytime soon, but I think I could live the Multistrada 950 more easily than this.  Not nearly as cool, nor is it going to be as sharp in the twisties (19 in front wheel), but probably easier to live with.

Have you ridden a Diavel before?  Ducati made that big ass rear tire work pretty damn well.  It will be interesting to see how that 19 inch wheel performs once they sprinkle their magic dust on it.  That to me is the only real downer on that machine, though Single sided swing arm would be nice too O:) .

Archived