Has Anybody seen this?

CJMajesty

The previous VFR800 (6th gen), also had a feedback wire.

You won't reduce drag in that alternator. It's always producing whether you like it or not. It's always spinning while the motor's running. It's just a spinning magnet rotor and a wire wound stator. You can't turn it off.

1 hour ago, Auspanglish said:

The previous VFR800 (6th gen), also had a feedback wire.

You won't reduce drag in that alternator. It's always producing whether you like it or not. It's always spinning while the motor's running. It's just a spinning magnet rotor and a wire wound stator. You can't turn it off.

Unless its a series RR, those actually do reduce drag when the electrical load is low.

The +2014 V-Strom 1000 is actually using the newest Shindengen RR the SH847, which is a series rr and it will unload the stator when electrical demand is low.

Unless its a series RR, those actually do reduce drag when the electrical load is low.
The +2014 V-Strom 1000 is actually using the newest Shindengen RR the SH847, which is a series rr and it will unload the stator when electrical demand is low.

As I see it the problem is not when demand is low. The problem is when output is high and has "nowhere to go" and reaches critical heat failure, melting the varnish and short circuiting.

4 minutes ago, Auspanglish said:

As I see it the problem is not when demand is low. The problem is when output is high and has "nowhere to go" and reaches critical heat failure, melting the varnish and short circuiting.

Well unless you have a series regulator/rectifier, the demand on the stator is always 100% loaded.

Unlike current exited alternators, the kind in your car,  those using permanent magnets such as are found in the VFR, cannot be “shut off” by switching off the field. They are “on” all the time and if turning above a threshold RPM, they are producing power. 

Well unless you have a series regulator/rectifier, the demand on the stator is always 100% loaded.

Except when the shunt regulator is shunting. As per my previous post, I don't see how that matters, the permanent magnet alternator is just that, permanently on.

Well I am not talking about an older shunt type regulator or even a newer mosfet regulator, I am talking about a series regulator.

Have you ever used one? It is very obvious how the electrical load effects the system. You can watch your RPMs drop when turning on your high beams.

This is not the case with shunt/mosfet regulators....

• Member Contributer

Thanks for the excellent video... it looks like my peg lowering blocks which are an VFRD exclusive product will also fit the 2017 model...

• Member Contributer

I knew I'd find the stuff about the 8th Gen's charging system eventually...

The attached picture is from the 2014 (8th Gen) Honda VFR800 Service Manual.  I have included in the post a transcription of the picture's text so that future Internet searches will be more productive.

The regulator/rectifiier is Honda p/n 31600-MJM-D11, which is an FH023AA unit.  I am so far not able to locate any more internal design information than what is shown in the picture.  If someone can come up with a useful schematic for the R/R itself I'll update this post with it.

FYI, the DLC is a Diagnostic Link Connector, DTC means Diagnostic Trouble Code, and MCS is the Motorcycle Communications System, which requires a compatible scanning tool to interface.

GENERAL INFORMATION
CURRENT PHASE CONTROL GENERATING / CHARGING SYSTEM

The current phase control generating/charging system uses Fe magnets on the flywheel and it ensures the equal ability for a Nd magnet (rare earth element).

The MP (magnetic pole) sensor detects the flywheel position by sensing the reluctors according to the pole pitch.  The regulator/rectifier monitors the magnetic pole signal (synchronized with the alternator induced voltage) and battery voltage.  It switches the drive timing of the built-in inverter as the basis for the magnetic pole signal and varies the output current to control the charging voltage.

This system is equipped with a self-diagnosis system.  The DTC can be read with the MCS (page 19-7).

2014 Honda VFR800 Charging System.jpg

• Member Contributer
On 1/31/2017 at 2:54 AM, CJMajesty said:

Has Anybody seen this?

Yes, we saw it in this earlier thread but the vid you just posted is much better, thanks!

FH023aa oh wow. I didn't know Shindengen had released another FH after the FH020aa. Very interesting. I'll need to look into that. Thanks for the info!

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

• Member Contributer
23 hours ago, fink said:

Thanks for posting the link to my review.  :woohoo:

I updated that web page page to be more clear about the stator & R/R upgrades right after I was done digging for the information I put into my post above.

It's worth noting that while I own a copy of the service manual, the scan in that post was originally uploaded by Grum to another thread on this forum site.  Credit where credit is due.

It is also worth noting that Grum's post indicated the stator to be the same as on previous models but that statement does not appear to be accurate, unless he meant same design, i.e. ignoring the new connector, a stator is still a stator and the phase control sensor stuff is a separate assembly.  The stator for the 2014 is part number 31120-MJM-D01 and that doesn't come up as a cross-match to any other Honda bikes except for the Crossrunner (VFR800X) of the same model years as the 8th gen VFR.

-Brad

Archived