98 Exhaust Question

Spiff

Just had a few questions on a 98 vfr, more specifically about the exhaust.  I had an 05 vfr that I had got two brothers exhaust for and still have one of the slip on's. I am wondering what it will take to get it put on a 98 I am considering buying.  Sold my 05 for something different but still familiar, and now I find myself wanting a vfr again for a few different reasons, don't stone me for selling my vfr :( .  I can't find anywhere online after searching that suggests this will work unless I go get a pipe fabricated to do the job, which I might be able to do.  Just curious if anyone has tried to put a new exhaust kit on a 98 or if it's impossible.

Well since the 6th gen two brothers slip ons are just high mounts plus a dummy can, I am sure it wouldn't take much to make it work as a high mount on a fifth gen...

Probably just a custom bracket and maybe trim an inch or two out of the mid section of the link pipe. 

Any competent exhaust shop should be able to do it in an hour or so.

I have an akra carbon for an MT09 on my 5th gen. I had the MT 09 loop the loop link pipe modified to fit the delk headers

Any exhaust shop could fit your 2 bros can, you'll just have to find one who wants to. 

The MT 09 has the loop the loop link pipe where the cat converter normally sits. Theoretically, longer pipe means more top end. It makes more HP on the 09 than most other pipes, so it probably has some merit. 

It does make it quieter, though. 

The akra has a 50mm outlet, no baffles, and I can still hear the GDC. Nice deep tone. 

And it's different, especially on the vfr. 

Yes the longer pipe change the power.  You'll notice if you want WSBK that after Honda finally decided they needed more top end they dumped the shorty pipe on the Fireblade and put a more traditional pipe with longer plumbing.  Also Ducati has been playing with the same thing for many season.  The customer version of the system on the current 1299 WSBK bike is good for about 13hp up top!!!

Archived