HELP! I Cannot collapse / retract the CENTER PISTON in the LEFT FRONT CALPER

PACIFICMAN

Hello All, I am completely stuck here and need some help. I inadvertently engaged the linked brakes on my 2007 ABS while the front calipers were removed. The center piston, left caliper, deployed but was prevented from popping out by the brake pad. I know this piston is the one actuated by the LBS and connected to the rear system. However, for the life of me I can't get the piston back into the caliper to reassemble the bike. I have opened every bleed valve I can find as well as the rear master cylinder, the piston WILL NOT BUDGE. What am I missing? I have read and re-read the Manual as well the extensive DIY thread on bleeding the system. No luck. Please advise. I'm sure I'm missing something simple but, I am completely stuck. Thanks in advance for any advice, thoughts or tips.

• Member Contributer

Got a big C- clamp? Gently put the clamp around the caliper and the brake pad.... very ..s l o w l y ...check if you can get the piston to move. Surgery... not sledge hammer......  You may as well clean the piston with WD40 while its sticking out.... 

- My best guess without direct eyes on.... 

• Member Contributer

I did the same thing.   Did you open the left side PCV (near the battery)?  Opening it should relieve the pressure.   

A set of water pump pliers will do it - had the same issue yesterday. Ensure you protect the caliper face with a thin piece of wood / plastic /metal so the pliers / grips don't scratch the caliper.

Think "lever-principle".

Do it with the caliper bolted on to the fork with wheel removed... If you are holding the caliper in your hand and are not Robo-cop or a Nexus 6 Replicant you will not have enough strength to be able to apply sufficient force. You need to anchor it to something if trying to use leverage.

C-clamp does not require this as it uses the caliper itself as an anchor. Slightly different way of applying force, very nice creative solution.

Thanks All, I have been using a Large Channel lock, but I get the idea of anchoring the caliper. I'm going to get after it today, probably time to replace my C clamp collection as well. Thanks Again!

• 3 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

Make sure that the piston has not cocked in the bore before forcing it back in.

Also make sure that you clean all the crud off the piston with Brake Clean and NOT WD40 or similar

• Member Contributer

Open the secondary bleed nipple for that piston with a blled hose on it & use a large flat blade screw driver between the pads, twist it to force the piston back. If this does not move it, then you have something wrong with it, like Phil said it may be cocked at the end of the bore.

Hot tip, get some 4-5mm alloy plate, cut 3 strips about 30mm wide and 50mm longer than the caliper, drill a 6-8mm hole at either end. When you remove a caliper, immediately place a strip between the pads & use the holes to tie it in place across the back of the caliper. Now never have the problem again !

YMMV

Archived