OEM Windscreen Deflector with Aftermarket Windscreen?

MackerVFRR

Has anybody tried this?

I was considering the ZG SR Series Dark Smoke windscreen, which is advertised as having the same dimensions as stock. Has anybody run this screen or any other with the add-on deflector? The previous owner included the accessory and I gave it a whirl late last season and I kinda like it. What I don't like is all the dirt that's very visible that I can't seem to clean out very well out of those little windows behind the stock clear screen - plus I prefer the look of the smoke. 

Thoughts? It's on my "winter list" and I'm wondering whether or not to pull the trigger... 

zero_gravity_sr_series_windscreenfor_honda_vfr1200_f20102012.jpg

s-l225 (1).jpg

I have a VStream touring shield that directs the air differently than the original, but  noisier than stock and doesn't keep the wind blast from hitting my helmet.  I've been disappointed.  I hoped it would be quiet without any buffeting like the Windjammer I had on my GL-1000.  I'm curious if that "overshield" helps direct the "blast" away.    

I have a VStream touring shield that directs the air differently than the original, but  noisier than stock and doesn't keep the wind blast from hitting my helmet.  I've been disappointed.  I hoped it would be quiet without any buffeting like the Windjammer I had on my GL-1000.  I'm curious if that "overshield" helps direct the "blast" away.    

I don't think mine makes much difference. I've adjusted the height and angle. 3635521849874b3f368ad1efcfe36d5e.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Member Contributer

I bought smoked for exactly that same reason.

Mine's a Powerbronze DB (see link in sig below) and it suits me.

• Member Contributer

Been there, done differently. Enjoy

repost:

wanted a tinted OEM windscreen to hide the hard to clean holes near the bottom of the screen. Since Honda doesn't offer one, I had a painter friend sand the screen on both sides and add a tinted clear coat. The painter can tint it as dark as you want it.  Should cost you about $25. If it's as bad as you say, might want to try this option first

image.jpeg

• Member Contributer
9 hours ago, MarkinReno said:

I don't think mine makes much difference. I've adjusted the height and angle. 3635521849874b3f368ad1efcfe36d5e.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

+1  Can't tell any diff in air flow/noise with position on my OEM screen deflector.

Personally I noticed a difference with the OEM Deflector. It's not a night-and-day difference by any means,  but I prefer it. Some great ideas and opinions - so have any of you guys mounted the OEM Deflector alongside your tinted/aftermarket screen? I'm curious about the fit and the appearance of the clear lip on top of a tinted shield ... 

• 3 weeks later...

I have the Zero Gravity Smoke "Touring" screen, is a few inches higher than stock and it's definitely better than the stock screen for buffeting etc..., throws the wind a bit higher, doesn't totally eliminate the buffeting but is still better. I don't think you'll find a screen which is perfect though.....I think they're called a "cage". 

Cheers,

Smithy.

• Member Contributer
On 1/27/2017 at 7:44 PM, MackerVFRR said:

Personally I noticed a difference with the OEM Deflector. It's not a night-and-day difference by any means,  but I prefer it. Some great ideas and opinions - so have any of you guys mounted the OEM Deflector alongside your tinted/aftermarket screen? I'm curious about the fit and the appearance of the clear lip on top of a tinted shield ... 

I also found the OEM deflector to reduce buffeting.  After having it on for nearly a year I tried a few rides with it removed last week and the difference was obvious.  I put it back on.  Helmet, height, etc... all have an affect.  With regards to using it with another screen I don't see why it wouldn't at least fit as long as the aftermarket screen did not hit the deflector due to be at a steeper angle than the OEM screen or too rounded compared to the OEM screen.  I hope you try this out.  I don't care much about the appearance but you might get some interesting results with regards to wind turbulence or noise reduction.

On 1/26/2017 at 9:46 PM, MackerVFRR said:

Has anybody tried this?

I was considering the ZG SR Series Dark Smoke windscreen, which is advertised as having the same dimensions as stock. Has anybody run this screen or any other with the add-on deflector? The previous owner included the accessory and I gave it a whirl late last season and I kinda like it. What I don't like is all the dirt that's very visible that I can't seem to clean out very well out of those little windows behind the stock clear screen - plus I prefer the look of the smoke. 

Thoughts? It's on my "winter list" and I'm wondering whether or not to pull the trigger... 

zero_gravity_sr_series_windscreenfor_honda_vfr1200_f20102012.jpg

s-l225 (1).jpg

i've had the Zero G SR Dark Smoke shield on both of my VFR1200s.....exact same shape as stock...it def covers up the water spotting in the lower part of the shield ....good quality, i recommend it

• 1 month later...
On 17/02/2017 at 0:21 AM, lshark said:

i've had the Zero G SR Dark Smoke shield on both of my VFR1200s.....exact same shape as stock...it def covers up the water spotting in the lower part of the shield ....good quality, i recommend it

Good to know Sir! My next question is how dark is the dark smoke? Is it see through at all? I'm looking for that "Goldilocks" solution - I don't want it so dark I can't see through it, and not too light that I wonder why I even bothered... 

i can't post a pic right now but it isn't totally opaque......Zero G offers light or dark smoke......if you are on Facebook i posted a pic of it on the VFR1200 page the other day.....it looks great on my blue 2012.....i had light smoke on my red 2010, i like the dark better....it was dark enough to hide the water spotting

Just creeped your FB post and saw the windscreen - looks very much like what I'm looking for. Time to place an order. Thanks again Sir! 

Archived