Sixth Gen Buying Advice What to Look For?

14thumper

I've done quite a bit of searching but could use the cliff notes version.  I'm considering a sixth gen for commuting now that my '14 has caused me to fall in love with the VFR.  What should I look for?  Is the stator and RR really an issue on this gen?  I originally thought it was the older bikes.

• Member Contributer

I have an '04, 32K miles, with the harness recall and the VFRness.  Still having electrical gremlins.  No stator or RR component problems, but have dealt with melted/brown connectors and blown fuses.  I have redone the stator connections, the main fuse holder, and the starter relay connector. I like the bike a lot, and have owned it for almost 10 years, but I'm getting a little tired of the electrical issues.

• Member Contributer
On 1/25/2017 at 5:50 AM, 14thumper said:

I've done quite a bit of searching but could use the cliff notes version.  I'm considering a sixth gen for commuting now that my '14 has caused me to fall in love with the VFR.  What should I look for?  Is the stator and RR really an issue on this gen?  I originally thought it was the older bikes.

The VFR is a great obsession. You're in good company in this forum.  If you are looking for a sixth gen, and there is no hurry, I'd focus on finding a 2006 or newer with low miles and that has been well maintained. 2006 bikes are after the harness recall group and they have an improved VTEC transition.  IMO the electrical concerns are over blown and normal routine maintenance should take care of most issues. 

• Member Contributer

Cone, 10 years is an eternity for most riders, and you are a poster child for a VFR owner.  Even with the issues experienced you've hung in.   And this happens when you get a VFR.  :goofy:  Really, extremely, tough; to find another which is so good at all.  However, I totally understand the need for change too.  It's just the VFR makes it so tough to do so.  My .02c.  A salute to you Mark. 

Dave

• 2 weeks later...

Nothing out of the ordinary is what I found. Picked up mine a year ago with 13k miles on it. Now has 23k. Things I've done..

Chain and sprockets

Tires

Replaced clutch slave and brake master (both corroded from previous owner not changing fluid/florida humidity).. but this is with any bike. Make sure the fluids are clean.

Really a solid bike, didn't see anything special to worry about with it. Just the regular stuff... but mine is an 07, post recall.

• Member Contributer

14, as others have shared, post 07 models do have improvements.  Though they are not completely immune to issues, they seem to be more reliable than earlier years of the 6th gen.  Mines been ace, recommend the VFRness for peace of mind.   Frankly, I don't think there are any bad years of VFR :cool:  For what they are selling for used, do your regular checks and include any concerns in the price you offer.  Hard to lose on one, unless really trashed.  Good luck to you in your search!  

Dave

I bought mine with 45,000km and now I have 65,000km. Only things I've had to do where change all the fluids when I got it home (just something I always do if I buy a bike) changed the chain and sprockets (didn't have to but wanted to do a 520 conversion) and now I'm gonna need new tyres in the next 3-5000km. That being said I don't actually now if my particular bike went through the recall for the harness or not but the only issue I have for electrics is the indicator only stays on right now if I hold the button down which is usually a sign the flasher relay is bung, so nothing huge. $20 and it'll be right as rain.

As dgordon said, just go through all the usual checks and what not, test ride it first and get any and all possible receipts or log books if possible. VFR's are considered pretty bullet proof but one can never be too cautious when buying a vehicle from a stranger.

Archived