86/87 VFR 750F

jeffyjeff

• Member Contributer

Greetings all.  Anybody here use a bike this old as their daily rider?   I would imagine that parts are hard to come by, but what about consumables like clutch plates, stators, R/R, carb kits and gaskets?  I would really be interested to hear if anyone is still putting significant mileage on their 30 year old VFR.  Whaddaya think?  Jeff  J.

5230855827[1].jpg

I think the only things that are becoming rare is good fuel tanks as oem plastics as oem mufflers. The bike in the pic is a -88 or -89 by the way

• Member Contributer

Thanks, keny.  In the posting, it was advertised as 1990.  But in Morocco, it is common for bikes to sit at the dealer for years before being sold and registered.  When selling, people often use the date of title, rather than the date of manufacture.  Sometimes they state both.  Thanks.

Only reliability issues these have is with charging systems, take a look at the stator connector and think about soldering it directly to bypass the connector that melts, easy job. Otherwise these are bullet proof. Ethanol can gunk up carbs, but you shouldn't have that issue in Morocco.

• Member Contributer
13 hours ago, atx said:

Only reliability issues these have is with charging systems, take a look at the stator connector and think about soldering it directly to bypass the connector that melts, easy job. Otherwise these are bullet proof. Ethanol can gunk up carbs, but you shouldn't have that issue in Morocco.

Even though there is no ethanol in Moroccan petrol, I think it is reasonable to expect the 28 year old carburetors to be in need of cleaning and adjustment.  It most likely needs new tires, and who knows what condition the suspension is in.  The posting states the bike has under 30,000 kilometers; it has likely been neglected by non-use.  I have purchased several bikes like this in the past, and after the initial investment to make them roadworthy, they have rewarded me with years of dependable service.  My current bike is 17 years old and gets ridden daily (when I'm in the States).  I guess my primary concern is that I have never taken the leap on such a vintage motorcycle before.  My wife suggests I buy a new one, but I really dig the bikes with gear driven cams.

11 hours ago, jeffyjeff said:

Even though there is no ethanol in Moroccan petrol, I think it is reasonable to expect the 28 year old carburetors to be in need of cleaning and adjustment.  It most likely needs new tires, and who knows what condition the suspension is in.  The posting states the bike has under 30,000 kilometers; it has likely been neglected by non-use.  I have purchased several bikes like this in the past, and after the initial investment to make them roadworthy, they have rewarded me with years of dependable service.  My current bike is 17 years old and gets ridden daily (when I'm in the States).  I guess my primary concern is that I have never taken the leap on such a vintage motorcycle before.  My wife suggests I buy a new one, but I really dig the bikes with gear driven cams.

The odo go to 0 at 100k kms, so can be it has 130k kms on the clock, but no problem if it well maintained, there is VFR750F´s out there whit +500k kms on them!

IMO if it runs well enough go for it. If it runs alright enough to get home and you get a good deal, go for it if you are down to clean the carbs or have it done. It isn't too hard once you take the plunge. A newer bike might be better in many ways, but if you dig the big and want the classic experience, this is as close to modern as you'll get while still turning heads i think.

• Member Contributer
9 hours ago, keny said:

The odo go to 0 at 100k kms, so can be it has 130k kms on the clock, but no problem if it well maintained, there is VFR750F´s out there whit +500k kms on them!

Thanks, keny.  I've posted this article several times over the years; it's from an old BIKE magazine article, circa 2003 or 2004.  I think this bike is one or two years older than the one Stan Wilson logged over 800,000 miles on in courier service in England.  Check it out.

Britains Highest Mileage Rider.doc

Archived