Throttlemeister instructions

nsr250

Does anyone have a set of Throttlemeister instructions? I recently purchased a used set. The seller included ALL hardware. I'm hoping there was a bunch he was just getting rid of. I've emailed Throttlemeister last week but have gotten no reply from them. Anyone have a copy they'd email me?

Thanks

• Member Contributer

I cant find my instructions but I didn't bother to use them when I installed my second set. Just a matter of trying different combinations of washers and shims until the throttle holds tight when set and snaps closed when released. On my 99 VFR I actually had to file one of the washers a bit to get it right.

• Member Contributer

Washers, shims??  no wonder my throttlemeister doesn't work right.  Let me echo nsr250; I, too emailed throttlemeister without success.  Apparently they are not concerned with how well their product performs after the sale.

• Member Contributer

Sorry to hear that! I have owned 4 sets of TMs over the years for 4 bikes including my 99 VFR, the last was purchased last year for my Concours. By that time I did not need any instructions! Basically the kit comes with a set of several stainless washers of outside diameter to fit inside the throttle side piece and inside diameter to fit the mounting bolt. The washers are of three different thicknesses and are used in various combinations to shim the mounting bolt for proper function accounting for manufacturing tolerances. If needed I would be happy to pull mine and take pictures.

• Member Contributer

When the bar end weight is turned, does it bear against the hand grip or the throttle tube?  Mine bears against the grip, and although it slows the throttle return to idle, it cannot hold the throttle in a steady state position.  Your thoughts?

• Member Contributer

It should bear against the throttle tube. The rubber grip will compress and won't hold tight. I have gone through several sets of grips in a half million miles. Replacements come in different lengths and I have had to trim some so that the tube is exposed.

• Member Contributer

Thanks, that explains my condition.  I'll probably need to get a new throttle tube; mine is mangled up a bit, and surface contact with the Throttlemeister would be less than ideal.

• Member Contributer
3 hours ago, nsr250 said:

So no one has a set of instructions?

I found this but it does not mention any washers or shims. I know the one I bought last April for my Concours had washers and shims. Maybe they have changed it since then.

Throttlemeister_install.pdf

• Member Contributer
On ‎1‎/‎26‎/‎2017 at 6:31 AM, RolandHTG said:

"It should bear against the throttle tube." The rubber grip will compress and won't hold tight. I have gone through several sets of grips in a half million miles. Replacements come in different lengths and I have had to trim some so that the tube is exposed.

RolandHTG, thanks for this golden comment.  My throttlemeister now works properly for the first time ever, once I adjusted the insert and grip so that the bar end weight bears against the throttle tube.  Hooray!

PS: my throttlemeister has no washers or shims.  The bar weight insert is comprised of a sleeve that compresses a pair of O-rings when the end screw is tightened down.  It works kind of like a collet, and locks the bar end weight into position.  It took about three tries to properly locate the end weight, but once positioned properly, the throttlemeister bar end locks the throttle tube into place without any creep whatsoever.

Archived