1996 VFR750 Headlight Fairing removal

Does anyone know a DIY or a youtube video for removing headlight fairing? I have to replace clutch diode and it's buried under the main wiring loom:

http://www.bikersoracle.com/vfr/foru...ad.php?t=99465

Are there any tricks or things I should remember or follow? If it's too difficult, I might just ride it as-is!

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

It isn't horrible. Take both mid panels off, careful not to break the tabs at the top, and the v piece between them. Remove the mirrors and windscreen, the mirror bolts hold it in. Remove the two trim pieces on the inside of the windscreen. Then disconnect the plugs to the turn signals and headlight bulbs. Remove the 4 screws, 2 on each side, and slide all 3 upper pieces off. Careful as you do it as you can break tabs off.

• Member Contributer

As I just mentioned on VFRW, I don't think the clutch diode is under the top fairing.  On my 3rd gen it is under the top part of the RHS middle fairing, wrapped in leccy tape.

Ciao,

7 hours ago, coupedupsubie said:

It isn't horrible. Take both mid panels off, careful not to break the tabs at the top, and the v piece between them. Remove the mirrors and windscreen, the mirror bolts hold it in. Remove the two trim pieces on the inside of the windscreen. Then disconnect the plugs to the turn signals and headlight bulbs. Remove the 4 screws, 2 on each side, and slide all 3 upper pieces off. Careful as you do it as you can break tabs off.

Thanks, I have removed both mid panels and V piece previously so I am good with it. How tricky or difficult is the Headlight area? Are there any tricky brackets or tabs which i can break? Thanks for the help.

You may actually be able to get that without pulling the headlight fairing, just be on the tight side.

If you do pull it then just take it slow. Thinking about it, if you can take the clipons off you might be able to more or less lift it off. If not then straddle the front wheel and slide it off the front. The tabs you take a chance of breaking are the ones the mid fairings clip into.

• Member Contributer

Just to wrap this up, on the 3rd gens the clutch diode is located much further along the wiring loom (~170mm from where the coil and stator wires branch off though the Vee).  I'm slightly surprised Honda moved it on the 4th gen, but the pictures don't lie!

Ciao,

• 2 months later...
7 hours ago, BluRoad said:

As an aside... What's a clutch diode's function?

Only thing I can see would be preventing signal feedback from another circuit. I don't have the wiring schematics handy but I will look when I can.

• 2 months later...

Thanks, sorry just looking at the responses now :(

Problem is bike on center stand, neutral light comes on as expected(normal). I shift gears, neutral light goes away, moment or second I pull in clutch, neutral light comes back again. If I put the side stand down and shift gears, neutral light goes away then if I pull in clutch, neutral light does not show up.

On 3/23/2017 at 10:48 AM, slovcan said:

Can you start it in gear with the clutch disengaged? Can you start it in neutral with the clutch engaged?

No, I can't start when in gear and clutch disengaged. But I can, when in neutral and clutch engaged.

On 1/21/2017 at 7:28 PM, coupedupsubie said:

You may actually be able to get that without pulling the headlight fairing, just be on the tight side.

If you do pull it then just take it slow. Thinking about it, if you can take the clipons off you might be able to more or less lift it off. If not then straddle the front wheel and slide it off the front. The tabs you take a chance of breaking are the ones the mid fairings clip into.

It's not like Honda practice to make changing the diode a fAIRING-removal operation.

Just for anyone else benefit, I was able to pull it out by removing the fuse box and just wiggling and fighting a bit, ensuring I am not damaging any wires or fairing. But definitely doable.

Now I have to test it out to make sure if it's bad :)

Archived