A Question About Lowering

Blazerdman

Question

So I doing a front end swap soon and from what I've measured up the forks I'm planning to use will drop the front by around 5cm, now most things I've seen from people say that you ABSOLOUTELY HAVE TO LOWER THE REAR THE EXACT SAME AMOUNT!

My question is for an 02 VFR800 if I lower the front 5 cm and don't lower the back will there be any ADVERSE affects, as in will I be in danger of crashing or will I be able to ride safely and just have to get used to how it now handles?

3 answers to this question

Huh, i've done this on other bikes, not vfr's thought....
Lowering the front end alone gave me a "nervous" bike in the past (high tendency to turn, and easy fast cornering) and that ends on a personal preference.
The main problem i see here is the exhaust hitting stuff on the road, even with stock height, i've hit the cat on some sidewalk curb.

• Member Contributer

I think it depends on how you use the bike. Is it a long distance comfortable sports-tourer or a weekend toy for scratching and quick blasts.

I had this when I added RGV forks to a GS500. the bike becomes a bit twitchy. Yes the bike turns in faster and easier but when using it for day to day stuff it gets a bit wearing. I had never ridden this bike without the modification (the original forks were bent, as it cost as much to repair the originals as it did to make the modification I went that route)  so I didn't know any different.

But when I rode my next bike I found out just how lively the old GS had been, especially on roundabouts and sharp corners. Very much high-lighted when I went back to it for a quick ride before I dismantled it. You will get used to it but I think I would have preferred a more stable handling bike for everyday use.

Maybe a good candidate for convertibars, to get some ride height back. A lot of people drop the front end a few mm's to speed up the handling, but you're talking about two inches. That might get twitchy and hurt ground clearance. Though typically, front end swaps with CBR triples creat a more relaxed offset, that takes well to dropping the front and raising the rear.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Archived