PCH-SR128 Ride January 22

jeffyjeff

• Member Contributer

Hey Misfits!  Whaddaya think about a January ride up Highway 1 and over 128 to Cloverdale?  Most of our other favorite routes are either under snow or under water right now, but the Pacific Coast Highway and 128 ought to be passable.  Weather permitting, we meet at Starbucks, 260 Northgate Drive, San Rafael, head out Lucas Valley Road to Point Reyes Station, then up the coast past Elk to 128.  East on 128 through Booneville and Yorkville, ending the ride (or not) at the world famous Hamburger Ranch in Cloverdale.  Short days require an early start.  Kickstands up at 0800 AM.  Hope the weather cooperates, and hope you can make it.  

https://goo.gl/maps/i1AYh2E2NDw   Jeff J.

P5040108.JPG

• Member Contributer

OH, CRAP.  Seahawks Rule.  If they beat Atlanta on Saturday, they will play at 1:30PM on Sunday 01/22.  In that case, we can move up a day to Saturday, or reschedule to the weekend of January 28/29.

Go Hawks.

• Member Contributer

I'm in if the weather is decent.

"Passable" accurately describes the PCH up here right now. Pretty slimy in the shady spots, and some water and gravel here and there but still rideable.

• Member Contributer

I really want to join this! However, I have X-rays and MRI for my knee this week and not sure I could an all dayer. Also, hopefully my steelers will still be in it next after KC tomorrow. So, basically I'm a maybe based on how the week goes.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Member Contributer

I'm in, been itching to do another longer ride.

Went up Mt Hamilton yesterday, and the sign said "Road Closed". All the bicyclists were going around it, so I jumped on the band wagon. Wow, was it beautiful! I could see Half Dome from the top, and never saw another car or motorcycle till I passed the junction. Sun was shining, and except for a bit of ice at the top, and gravel where the creeks flooded, it was a perfect riding day! Had a bowl of chili and a Bloody Mary at The Junction to warm up on the way home. Everything was green, and all the creeks were flowing, snow at the top, crystal clear skies, could not ask for more beauty in one ride!

With the predicted storm coming in on Wednesday 128 is likely to close.  Also, there is an 60% chance of rain on Saturday and 80% on Sunday. The 28th-29th maybe a better choice. I will keep following the thread and try to join in depending on weather.

• Member Contributer
7 hours ago, jlpvfr said:

With the predicted storm coming in on Wednesday 128 is likely to close.  Also, there is an 60% chance of rain on Saturday and 80% on Sunday. The 28th-29th maybe a better choice. I will keep following the thread and try to join in depending on weather.

Today would have been a great day to ride.  Unfortunately, my crystal ball was on the blink last week.   After seeing the latest weather forecast, I am inclined to agree with jlpvfr.   The weekend of January 28-29 looks more appealing for a day ride...and at least there won't be any football conflict.  Well, at least any meaningful football conflict.  Too bad about the 'Hawks.  On the other hand, last time I flew my "12" flag, my house got egged.  There is probably a silver lining in there somewhere, I just can't see it. 

17 hours ago, jeffyjeff said:

Today would have been a great day to ride.  Unfortunately, my crystal ball was on the blink last week.   After seeing the latest weather forecast, I am inclined to agree with jlpvfr.   The weekend of January 28-29 looks more appealing for a day ride...and at least there won't be any football conflict.  Well, at least any meaningful football conflict.  Too bad about the 'Hawks.  On the other hand, last time I flew my "12" flag, my house got egged.  There is probably a silver lining in there somewhere, I just can't see it. 

Residing in enemy territory is tough business. At least the 9ers suck now so all of their "fans" have gone back into their mom's basements. 

On-topic, either 28 or 29 works for me.

• Member Contributer

Let's decide on a date once the 5 day weather forecast begins to solidify.  I'm good with either the 28th or 29th.  If that weekend doesn't pan out, then maybe Superbowl Saturday would be agreeable to most. 

Define "nectar of the gods."

29th is a no-go for me now. Hurry up and confirm a date so I can be sure to have a work conflict pop up almost immediately. :mellow:

• Member Contributer
20 hours ago, BrianF said:

Define "nectar of the gods."

29th is a no-go for me now. Hurry up and confirm a date so I can be sure to have a work conflict pop up almost immediately. :mellow:

Yeah.  You should have said "Hurry up and confirm a date so we can change it again."

• Member Contributer

Alright guys.  By my reckoning, this is how the ride is shaping up.

IN

Jeffyjeff

Brian F

Bayarea Rider

RC1237V

St. Stephen

Crazy Brother

OUT

Doc 4216

jlpvfr

The weather forecast for Saturday, January 28 looks sunny.  Question is; will the roads be clear enough for an enjoyable ride?  I guess there is only one way to find out.   I'm OK with February 4, if that's the consensus.  If that's the case,  I might just scout out the route this Saturday anyway.  What say you?

• Member Contributer

I can't make Sat the 28th as it's my wife's birthday (you can remind me of my messed up priorities on the next ride).

However, even though the 4th works for me, don't postpone to the 4th. We've got the next four sunny days to dry out, leading up to a sunny weekend. The way this winter is going it might be the best opportunity until May!

• Member Contributer

I'm in, let me know meetup point, as I will have to leave really early to get there...............

• Member Contributer

Let's meet at Starbucks, 260 Northgate Dr, San Rafael, CA 94903.  Hope it is not underwater.

US 101 to  San Rafael, Freitas Parkway exit west to Northgate Drive.   Should be a nice day.  Let's plan to hit the road at 0800.  Jeff J.

Starbucks San Rafael.jpg

Archived