2010 engine vs 2012+ Engine interchangable?

Dae

I have 2010 VFR 1200 FD and have over 200,000KM on it so far, only rode about 2,000 KM in 2016. There is nothing wrong with the bike but with this much mileage, one never knows when the engine may quit.

Would a 2012 plus engine fit work on the 2010 model? I was just curious for future reference. 2012 model has traction control and larger fuel tank.

I purchased a 2016 Yamaha FJR 1300 and am glad I kept the VFR, for me the VFR is far superior for my riding situations.

• Member Contributer

The engine itself is probably interchangeable, but the throttle bodies, ECU, engine harness and some of the other electrical items may not be as the wiring/connectors will be different. Since almost ALL of the parts on your bike (except the driveshaft) have over 200,000 KM on them you might be better off buying a low mileage 2010 for ~$6K and have a spare of every part! Although being in Korea may limit your options.....

• Member Contributer

RC123V make a very good case. However, to answer your question, as I do have some experience, engine is the same between the years...I put a 2013 engine in a 2010 bike. But I did use the TB and all else from my 2010 in the 2013 engine.

I thought that I read somewhere that the Cross Tourer engine had a slightly different compression ration...but cant confirm.

Enjoy!

• Member Contributer

Like veefour said, mechanically the same, that's all that matters for a swap.

Since the OP is completely happy with his FJR, selling both his current bikes and picking up a '12 would be my path.  As previously said, don't know if that is a reasonable option in Korea.

Is anyone aware of another DCT bike, regardless of model, that has more km than Dae's?

I'm assuming 2012+ VFR engine will work in a 2010 model. Sad fact about VFR models, not a big seller around the globe, only 36 VFR1200 (F & FD) sold since 2010 here in Korea. Selling is not an option here in Korea, anything over 50,000KM (motorcycle) is considered scrap metal.

Happy 2017 to all.

• Member Contributer
3 hours ago, Dae said:

I'm assuming 2012+ VFR engine will work in a 2010 model. Sad fact about VFR models, not a big seller around the globe, only 36 VFR1200 (F & FD) sold since 2010 here in Korea. Selling is not an option here in Korea, anything over 50,000KM (motorcycle) is considered scrap metal.

Happy 2017 to all.

Wow - just 36.  Is there a way to get that same data for other countries?

Archived