Victory Motorcycles to close

TimC

I was disappointed this morning to read that Polaris is shutting down Victory Motorcycles.  I've never been a big fan of cruisers, but Victory made some pretty sweet bikes - much more stylish than most HDs and metric HD wannabe cruisers anyway.  But for those of you in the market for a big bore cruiser or muscle bike, this might be a good time to shop.

http://www.motorcycle.com/manufacturer/victory/polaris-is-closing-victory-motorcycles.html

• Member Contributer

Bummer. I agree with your assessment of the Victory offering, wish they had broadened the appeal by adding a sport/touring or a V4

• Member Contributer
1 hour ago, CornerCarver said:

Bummer. I agree with your assessment of the Victory offering, wish they had broadened the appeal by adding a sport/touring or a V4

Or something that looked good.

Most of my friends refer to them as pirate ships.

And let's face it, there is only so many pirates to buy them.

Here in Oz they don't have a very good reputation for relibility, service or spare parts availability.

Shame still that another brand goes under.

My friend who owns a BB has always wanted one, so he finally took one out for a test ride last weekend.

He was very disapointed by weight, poor performance and vibration.

Indian also share the showroom, so he sat on a 2016 Scout and fell in love.

Very light by comparison, and better looking.

They let him take it away for the weekend (they are very agressive at selling them here), so I got a ride on it when out for the day.

First corner I came to I scraped the pipes, footpeg and took a chunk out of my right boot.

I was't even going hard.

I just don't get them.

• Member Contributer

From listening to Asphalt and Rubber, it sounded like Polaris was going to 're-organize'. Where their indian line was going to compete against HD, and Victory was to change into more of a street bike (not cruiser).

Bummer to hear they are closing down.

• Member Contributer
48 minutes ago, Quibble said:

From other forums I've read Indian was out selling Victory by a factor of five. Victory sales have been in deliberate since 2012.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yep, they brought out a brand that cannibalised their other own brand.

Yeah, I don't really get the whole cruiser thing either, but I know they're big and comfy.  The big dressers/baggers are great for touring, but they'll still probably never be my thing.

Once Polaris re-launched Indian, and the bikes were good, I think the nostalgia factor helped kill Victory's sales.  Of course, Victory tried to be different from Harley in the first place, and that turned off many cruiser buyers who wanted the traditional looks HD specializes in for most of their bikes.  Though I'm obviously not a cruiser guy, I liked some of the Victory designs precisely because they weren't HDs.  Sad to see them shut down.

As for the Indian Scout, I like it, too.  If I were buying an urban bobber or backroad bomber, the Scout would be on my short list.

Archived