Help with VFRness, after install no fuel pump and dash buzz

daewon774

Bump. I could use any help or advice or comments on this. Even if that means dancing around the bike, spinning three times, tapping the exhaust, and pouring some gin on the seat. Seriously. I'll take any advice at this point. 

Ive tried contacting Josh on here and his website. No dice. 

Sorry I haven't been as active of late so I missed your questions.  I always leave the possibility of human error open on these harnesses...I build them by hand and have on occasion made a mistake (don't tell my wife I confessed that).

The VFRness should (in theory) have no effect on the buzzing relay.  In general the buzz means the relay isn't getting the power it needs to fully make it's connection.  Did you confirm that the red wire going to the starter relay was correctly inserted?

The wiring on the VFRness is fairly simple.  It forms a T between the OEM R/R connectors.  In theory this is duplicating the path to ground (on the frame at the R/R) and to the battery (via the 8 gauge wire that runs to the battery + terminal).  The relay is only there to provide the OEM R/R with a clean reading...without it you could have an overcharging scenario.  If you disconnected the VFRness from ground and battery it would be nothing more than 12" of additional wiring between the R/R and the OEM harness.  

Based on the numbers you gave it sounds like your VFRness relay is stuck in the "on" position.  Disconnect the relay and check the following with the key off:

Red to Ground (12V expected)

Purple to Ground (0v expected)

Green to Battery + (12V expected)

Blue to Ground (0V expected)

With the key on and the relay disconnected the only difference should be the blue wire now has voltage

If the voltages are right at the relay, try a different Bosch style 4 or 5 pin relay.  You should not have power to the purple wire(relay output) or blue wir (relay input) unless the key is on because the blue wire is connected to the ignition switch.

Joshau

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Archived