New Kiwi VFR800F Owner

Matty231

Hi Everyone, i'm new to the VFR soon, already owned a few Honda's ('14 CB125E & '15 CB500F), just completed my Full license recently and had my eyes set on a VFR for over a year now.

After watching this mint Pearl White VFR site around in the dealer for just under a year, I could finally fork out for it!

I was considering perhaps a CB650F, but coming from a CB500F I thought it was best to really step up if I was to do anything.

Anywho; i've got a pick of it on the floor, picking it up tomorrow! I've already ordered a set of bar risers just for the daily commuting around town.

While I am searching around; does anyone have any tips they could share / advice in relation to these bikes?

- Is it a relatively good daily for around town? I've find my test rides, it was a nimble bike

- What do most of you find the maximum comfortable distance you would go in one sitting (when touring)

- Is it advised to not over-rev the bike (say past 8k) before a certain mileage / break-in period? I read in the manual it's 500KM, and don't 'brake' or 'accelerate' too hard, however looking for anyone elses input

Thanks very much. Collect her tomorrow!

IMG_1179.JPG

• Member Contributer

Welcome aboard Matty. You picked a good time of year to buy a new bike.

It's been 20 years since I bought my last new bike, but the usual rule is to do whatever Mr Honda says; keep the revs up but not too high, vary them often with acceleration and deceleration, and most importantly don't lug the engine (low revs/high gear). Make sure you warm up the engine before setting off. Get the bike serviced at the recommended first interval, especially an oil and filter change.

For the brakes, use them frequently but not too hard to bed the pads in but avoid glazing them. After 20 km, do whatever you like with them. And remember the tyres are virgins so don't lean too hard too soon, work your way up (or over) gradually.

Sounds like you've had a reasonable progression of bike sizes, just remember that it is always better to think "I could have taken that bend  a bit quicker" than "sh1t I'm going too fast for this one".

39 minutes ago, Terry said:

Welcome aboard Matty. You picked a good time of year to buy a new bike.

It's been 20 years since I bought my last new bike, but the usual rule is to do whatever Mr Honda says; keep the revs up but not too high, vary them often with acceleration and deceleration, and most importantly don't lug the engine (low revs/high gear). Make sure you warm up the engine before setting off. Get the bike serviced at the recommended first interval, especially an oil and filter change.

For the brakes, use them frequently but not too hard to bed the pads in but avoid glazing them. After 20 km, do whatever you like with them. And remember the tyres are virgins so don't lean too hard too soon, work your way up (or over) gradually.

Sounds like you've had a reasonable progression of bike sizes, just remember that it is always better to think "I could have taken that bend  a bit quicker" than "sh1t I'm going too fast for this one".

Thanks Terry, yes it ended up coinciding well, I decided just to stick out to the new year so the label would say 2017 instead of 2016 ;)

Thanks for the advice, thats a good point too haha i've had a few times i've thought "this might end bad!". I'll make sure I get that service, it'll probably end up coming round pretty quick!

I'm sometimes a bad one for high gear, low speed so i'll bear that in mind!

Thanks again.

Hi Matty,

Welcome to the forum and congrats to the nee bike!

Art the risk of starting a break-in thread, let me give you my 2c worth. While modern engines do not need the rigorous brake-in procedures as in the old days, it is good to give the new components time to seat. This applies for the brakes (disks and pads) and engine components (piston rings).

The general consensus these days seems to be to avoid high loads at low revs, high revs when cold (warming up an engine should be common sense, anyway).

The first 100km are probably the most important for the life of your engine, so taking it easy is a good idea. After that, rising revs gradually is ok. Most important: The first oil change after 1000km. After that, the engine is broken in. Being gentle after a cold start still is a good thing, though.

All that, of course, applies only if you wish to keep the bike for a longer period ;)

With regards to mods, I let the pundits of the forum speak up. I mounted a radiator protector, a lithium battery, a aftermarket exhaust and a PowerCommander - apart from the first item probably all debatable.

Have fun with the VFR!

Thomas

Gesendet von iPad mit Tapatalk

• Member Contributer

Welcome to VFRD from the Nothern Hemisphere :beer:

Some (Dutch) guys use an SP2 as commuter, so you will be fine... :goofy:

Maximum distance per day is very very personal and depending on road conditions and weather.

Last august I did 860km in one day to get to northern Denmark (on a RC36/4th Gen); when doing the annual company ride, we do 200km tops.....

15 hours ago, Dutchy said:

Welcome to VFRD from the Nothern Hemisphere :beer:

Some (Dutch) guys use an SP2 as commuter, so you will be fine... :goofy:

Maximum distance per day is very very personal and depending on road conditions and weather.

Last august I did 860km in one day to get to northern Denmark (on a RC36/4th Gen); when doing the annual company ride, we do 200km tops.....

Haha well in that case you shouldn't hear me complaining!! :)

Yes good point, i'll go for a nice ride tomorrow and see how she goes. 860 is like half our country haha, thats a LONG way! I should cope well then... I've noticed on the open road at 100km/h the bike is actually quite comfortable, the wind seems to leverage some of my body weight.

Man the rego was a killer! $585NZD to have the bike on the road for one year lol.

19 hours ago, tom.gessner said:

Hi Matty,

Welcome to the forum and congrats to the nee bike!

Art the risk of starting a break-in thread, let me give you my 2c worth. While modern engines do not need the rigorous brake-in procedures as in the old days, it is good to give the new components time to seat. This applies for the brakes (disks and pads) and engine components (piston rings).

The general consensus these days seems to be to avoid high loads at low revs, high revs when cold (warming up an engine should be common sense, anyway).

The first 100km are probably the most important for the life of your engine, so taking it easy is a good idea. After that, rising revs gradually is ok. Most important: The first oil change after 1000km. After that, the engine is broken in. Being gentle after a cold start still is a good thing, though.

All that, of course, applies only if you wish to keep the bike for a longer period ;)

With regards to mods, I let the pundits of the forum speak up. I mounted a radiator protector, a lithium battery, a aftermarket exhaust and a PowerCommander - apart from the first item probably all debatable.

Have fun with the VFR!

Thomas

Gesendet von iPad mit Tapatalk

Thanks. Since collecting her this arvo i've been keeping that in mind!

Only issue so far is the rear brake squeels a little when braking, I assume this is normal and just needs more wearing in.

Yes cold starts are always easy, both on bikes and my cars! Thats one thing I make sure of, thanks for the advice.

Collected her today!

I was skeptical on my purchase but i'm glad I did it, fun bike so far, very smooth and well grounded compared to my CB500F.

The VTEC sounds great too, however just taking it easy for now.

Time to RTFM! :)

I love the bronze wheels, however I need to wipe the dust off them from sitting in the showroom for nearly a year!

IMG_1204.JPG

IMG_1205.JPG

• Member Contributer

Your garage walls are naked, they could do with a few tasteful posters no? :goofy:

The Netherlands is a mere 300km long and 200 wide...........

12 hours ago, Dutchy said:

Your garage walls are naked, they could do with a few tasteful posters no? :goofy:

The Netherlands is a mere 300km long and 200 wide...........

You're right posters on the walls - just got a costumer to print this one for me

2017-01-06 21.20.40.jpg

• Member Contributer

Hi Matty, that's patience right there! Waiting for the right ride, no going back now you're in the V4 club, who would want to leave anyway?

Sent from my HTC_PN071 using Tapatalk

18 hours ago, Forbes said:

Hi Matty, that's patience right there! Waiting for the right ride, no going back now you're in the V4 club, who would want to leave anyway?

Cheers, yea pretty hooked already, was contemplating 'do i want that inline-4 sound' but after going on a few rides now the V4 is a mint sounding motor, not too pitched but not too bassy, I like the grunty mechanical noise it makes!

22 hours ago, Loftust said:

Welcome aboard - that's a mighty fine bike you've got yourself there :)

Cheers :)

23 hours ago, Helweg said:

You're right posters on the walls - just got a costumer to print this one for me

2017-01-06 21.20.40.jpg

Yes haha I need some posters done! I know a printer so I should get some nice cars & bikes printed & posted up!

Archived