Hello from Lisbon Portugal

Diogo

• Member Contributer

Hello everyone, my name is Diogo from Lisbon. I just got myself a VFR 800 VTEC 90.000Km on the clock. I had a lot off bikes during the years and after a 5 years break I got myself a scooter. Since before that my last bike was a KTM 950S Adventure the poor Majesty 125 was bound to departure from me very soon. even if I convinced the wife it wasn't so. So I got myself a VFR 800 Vtec I felt in love with this bike in 2002 but got myself a CBR954 in 2003 and fir sure I was 23 at the time the VFR while Beautiful was I believed not enough. Age makes us wiser that's for sure! So back to my Beautiful black VFR, I bought it last week with 90.000Km, people told me I'm crazy that's to much for a bike etc. I know many VFR 750 going much further and I believed the VTEC to be from the same blood. The very next day after a very short ride, I plug the key in turn ignition and BZzzzzz Cricic BZzzzz no lights bike cranks but not fuel pump no lights?! I turn off the key and star stripping it on the street for the fuses and so on, after many dealings since I had no idea where they were, I started from the left size, at the time I touched something that made her start. At the time I had no clue what it was... I got home and googled and googled and read about the terrible fate of the blue connector!!! YES it happened to me at 90K on the 2 day the previous owner never had to deal with this!!! So I started looking at the issues, I had the starter relay burned, the connectors melted but 30 Amp fuse OK?! Next blue connector is slightly melted on the green wire and the yellow conector at the front is burned also... Removed yellow connector, soldered all the greens with a very capable 40 Amp tick cable and grounded it to the chassis on a bolt under the thank. Since I removed the front ground and made it to the chassis from the front side of the conector should the ground going back also be connected to the chassis? Next I'm going to do the monitor Wire fix on the RR side. I also ordered a used complete wiring loom front to back from a used parts shop in the UK were I'm going to do every mod outside the bike and then just mount it correctly and use the current loom for future parts.

Now my biggest headache is this, I have a right wwitch for the lights that goes from: OFF / Little leads (presence lights sorry I have no clue how you call it in english)/ Low Beam. On the left side I can switch from LB to HB and passing switch / Horn / Turn signals. But I should be able to cut the lights on the right control what happens is even with the control to off I still get LB, if I move the control to LB, I connect the dash and the back lights but I never have control over the LB. Disconnect only the control plug but leaving the ignition key plug on I still get LB's!!!  the  Can someone help me on this?

I have been over many diagrams never finding one with lights control switch, I know it exists I just stopped today next to a VFR VTEc from 2003 and I could shout the dam lights OFF!!! I find no bypass wiring on the bike, no recall was made here in Portugal and I see no damn reason why the lights stay on no mater what. If I unplug the relay of course they shut down. This happens since day one for me so the burning conector issue has no impact on this...

I also know the previous owner had at some point HID installed because he made some holes on the headlamps adapters. Wiring is consistent with diagram concerning relays and connectors to the lamps. The bike is using 4XH7. I also ordered the right hand side controls since I opened mine and the wiring is very old. 

Thank you for receiving me and sharing, I'm also going to post this on the other VFR Forum hoping for help.

Cheers!

Archived