Can you I.D. this clutch?

BluRoad

As I progress through my '87 VFR700 project, I'm now into the clutch. The issue is that the clutch wouldn't disengage. After going through the master and slave those mechanisms are operating normally, the plates separate but the clutch is stuck engaged. I removed the clutch — all normal — and this is what I found. It appears perfectly new and unused (I don't know the history of this bike). I suspect that the plates need to be soaked in oil and reassembled. Does anyone know what brand this is?

JOE in IL

IMG_2321.jpg

• Member Contributer

Barrett? Seems like I have seen them b4 on a bike I worked on. I only use oem or Barrett, those are not oem soo I say Barrett.

• Member Contributer

It matches Barnett... I had the same problem back in 83 with my GPz550... their clutch plates would not disengage... I went back to stock...

bcc-303-30-20014_sn_xl.jpg

The mystery thickens. It is, in fact, a Barnett. In checking their catalog some questions arise: the '86 750 shows a B plate (the first or closest friction plate to the engine), but the '87 700F2 and the '90 do not. However, the OEM parts diagrams show identical parts and part numbers, and all three models have the B plate. I'm planning on using this clutch on my '90 project and reinstalling a used '87 clutch that I have on this bike.

The B plate has a larger inside diameter to allow for the judder ring and it's seat. I'm wondering if Barnett just eliminated the judder rings on the '87 and '90 applications. In any case I found the correct Barnett B plate on eBay. I suspect if I substitute the first plate with the correct B plate all will be fine. I think that the judder rings put pressure on the first friction plate and held the plates from separating.

Time will tell.

JOE in IL

V4 Dreams (.com)

Archived