Engine won't start

Knobber

I am hoping someone might be able to help me.  I posted a while back that I changed my rear cam chain tensioner plunger and since re-installment the motor will not start.  It turns over, the starter sounds normal but I will not light off.

Electrical:

I have checked the battery.  I jumped it from a portable jump start pack just to make sure it wasn't the problem.  The battery is giving good volt meter readings (about 13.2 unloaded, 12.4 loaded). 

I checked the fuses located in the front right fairing.

I searched to see if I might have disconnected something accidentally but couldn't find a anything (there isn't anything over there).

I put a timing light on the coil wire and was receiving a flash (even though my last attempt to re-verify didn't seem to give me a flash).

All other electrical items seem to be working normally (neutral indicator, side stand cut out, etc.).

Fuel:

I removed the air cleaner and put fuel in the throttle bodies.  Nothing.  When I attempt to start eventually the tailpipes smell of fuel.

When attempting to start, if I hold the throttle open about 1/2-3/4 the motor does seem to stumble a little but it still does not light off.

I am truly mystified as the bike was running fine prior to the work on the plunger being done.  Removing the plunger and replacing it with a new one is all I did.  The bike literally only sat for three days between my last use of it and being done with the work.

Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated as I am at the end of my thought train and am about to take it in.

Thanks.

Matt

• Member Contributer
On 1/3/2017 at 5:04 PM, Knobber said:

When attempting to start, if I hold the throttle open about 1/2-3/4 the motor does seem to stumble a little but it still does not light off.

Reading your other topic I'm impressed with all you've tried.

When you try holding open the throttle have you tried to start the bike with the throttle fully opened (not 1/2 or 3/4 open)? If that doesn't work then pull the plugs, and let everything dry out.  And, if you have new plugs it's a good time to put them in. Maybe the old plugs fouled with all the starting attempts. 

Good luck!

• Member Contributer

I had starting issues with my 6th gen - turned out to be the fuel pump - http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/index.php?/forums/topic/83970-02-vfr-wont-rev-out-then-idles-poorly-now-wont-start/

Of course this theory doesn't fit with the work on your cam chain tensioner. Maybe the fuel hose is pinched when you reinstall the tank?

Appreciate the feed back.  I am going to check the fuel pump even though I am pretty sure I didn't do anything to it working on the plunger.  Maybe it just crapped out at that exact time?  I did put fuel directly into the throttle bodies to no avail but I am going to check everything.

I was tempted to check the plugs but I would still think it would light off but maybe stumble.  Will still check.

Will follow up and thanks again.

Archived