Hand made stainless exhaust

Jibbles

• Member Contributer
thanks for all the compliments gents !

this Pic gives you an idea of the difference.
its the stock exhaust ends beside one of the ones I made to match the port sizes.
I couldnt believe when i pulled off the stock exhaust how much the copper crush rings were in the exhaust stream, plus the big ugly weld on the inside of the exhaust. talk about turbulence.
how can that be acceptable for a factory to knock that out...
IMG_1021.JPG

Oooh, looking good...I'm going to be doing similar soon on my VF's not slip ons, but build style. Just too expensive for custom work.

Sent from my HTC_PN071 using Tapatalk

haha thanks dgordon, but its a crown Im happy for someone else to wear.

anyone interested in a how to do carbon fibre post? 

I was thinking of giving a bit of a tutorial on what ive learnt over the years. theres some mongrel learning curves with that stuff

• Member Contributer
4 hours ago, The Phantom said:

Mate if you want to write up a CF tutorial there's plenty here who will be all ears (eyes?). I'm one.

I'm one more!

• Member Contributer

Beautiful work sir! The sound is like no VFR I've ever heard on the road.

Should you do a Carbon Fibre write up, you will have many followers and even more questions. Thank you for sharing your craftsmanship and knowledge with us!

• Member Contributer

Beautiful craftsmanship and a great sound and awesome configuration. I get all jacked up listening to V4's when there is a foot  (30cm for metric folk) of snow outside and the viffer (Veefer?) is put up for several months. Thanks for sharing. 

18 hours ago, Jibbles said:

thanks for all the compliments gents !

this Pic gives you an idea of the difference.

its the stock exhaust ends beside one of the ones I made to match the port sizes.

I couldnt believe when i pulled off the stock exhaust how much the copper crush rings were in the exhaust stream, plus the big ugly weld on the inside of the exhaust. talk about turbulence.

how can that be acceptable for a factory to knock that out...

IMG_1021.JPG

That is pretty common for Honda. When I installed my Two Brothers header on my 6th gen, I ditched the copper crush washers (as they were protruding a few mm's into the exhaust stream. It is really apparent on older bikes where you can see the carbon build up on the part that is blocking exhaust flow.) and just spent an extra hour or so lining everything up perfectly, so there were no leaks. Good to see that you designed your own flanges and did something about the crush washers and ugly welding.

Candyred46 the bottom end and midrange are both suprisingly good.

I was genuinely expectig some issues there but funnily enough i noticed a good boost in the midrange.

top end, ah gee whiz there are only so many roads you can pin it haha, but yes. top end is good. im losing traction at times which i didnt before or wheelying which is a pleasant side affect  ?

I genuinely dont like traction control. Its not helping me as I go to give it a handful

away from the lights or low speed only to have it kick in. would rather just have a bit of slip and back off. why does honda need to retard the bike for so long ?

i keep having these visions of overtaking a bus or truck in the wet only to have it kick in and leave me out in the open.... I know this is making me sound like my right hand only knows two throttle positions but its not the case.

Im thinking I need to tweak suspension settings to help with wheel slip now.

That is good to hear, that the lowend was retained while boosting mid range and topend.. There are a lot of "bigger piping kills torque" people on these forums, even the header manufacturer "Motad" came on here and stated that they wouldnt go over 31mm i.d. as it "would kill driveability". Honda has been following a trend of reducing header piping diameter for a while now (1998/1999 vfr800 were 31mm id, 2000 and up were 28mm id). There are a few of us on here that were lucky enough to find the old Erion Racing and Two Brothers Racing headers, that know better. (around 35mm id primaries, 41mm secondaries and 48mm collector). 

I would say my idle -3000 rpms softened a little, 3000-8000 was around the same and 8000-redline greatly improved, so you may have came up with the winning recipe on exhaust design. I really like that 4-2 design with out the 2-1 and it reduces the amount of bends and complexity greatly. I have always wanted to do a GP inspired set up with the two rear cylinders going straight out the back to an under seat muffler and the two front cylinders like your set up.

Can you not fully disable traction control? I have the traction control option on my Rapid Bike module and I am not a fan of it either. I am sure a nice aftermarket rear shock and some front end upgrades would greatly help with stability.

makes me wonder about those lads with the A&A supercharger kits.

they must have one hell of a time keeping it under control!

I was nearly going to turbo my girl but figured I would give it a year then boost her up. why not I say ?

does anyone know if you can still get the supercharger kits, or anything to make the road a little easier ?

You just missed one of the members on here (zRoyz) selling his 6th gen A&A supercharger kit. But, the NA route can be pretty rewarding if you have the time/money/patience/skill, which it definitely seems you do. If you look through some of Highsidenz and mohawk's post, you will see that they have done a great job at pulling a lot of power out of these bikes. The first step is the header, which it looks like you completed with flying colors. The next step is tuning, you can do power commander (fuel only) or Rapid Bike Racing (fuel and ignition). I would go with Rapid Bike, as these bikes were tuned to run on low grade fuel and tuning the ignition mapping will allow you to take advantage of higher octane premium fuel.

After that, you can upgrade the velocity stacks. I went with R6 velocity stacks, as they retained the factory staggered arrangement and were just a tad shorter/wider, for better topend. Mohawk actually took it a step further with dual length yoshimura inspired stacks. I did some light port matching on the throttlebody entries and base of the airbox to make this work, it showed positive results. Later on I overbored the throttle bodies and boots to 38mm, with light port matching and didnt see any noticeable gains.

After this is where it gets a little more complicated. Regrinding the cams to rc45 specs has show great gains by both mohawk and highsidenz. It was stated by honda that the 8th gen intake cam's lift/duration/overlap were reduced from the sixth gen, so even just swapping in some 6th gen intake cams could show some positive gains up top. Also since the vtec models were blessed with cam chains, you can slot the cam sprockets to allow proper degreeing, which should make more power throughout the rpm range.

Finally, I think only highsidenz has pulled this off, you can overbore your cylinders 2mm and use cbr929 pistons for a dramatic increase in compression and 825cc displacement. Highsidenz made 140whp at this point. While mohawk got to 120whp with out the overbore. Just some food for thought, I hope you keep tinkering with your bike.

I was nearly going to turbo my girl but figured I would give it a year then boost her up. why not I say

does anyone know if you can still get the supercharger kits, or anything to make the road a little easier ?

I can confirm 4th gear powerwheelies, but uncontrolled power it is not!

Sent fra min SM-N910F via Tapatalk

I was nearly going to turbo my girl but figured I would give it a year then boost her up. why not I say

I can confirm 4th gear powerwheelies, but uncontrolled power it is not!

• Member Contributer
On 1/5/2017 at 4:06 PM, CandyRedRC46 said:

Finally, I think only highsidenz has pulled this off, you can overbore your cylinders 2mm and use cbr929 pistons for a dramatic increase in compression and 825cc displacement. Highsidenz made 140whp at this point. While mohawk got to 120whp with out the overbore. Just some food for thought, I hope you keep tinkering with your bike.

I bought vfroem's spare RC46 TTS kit a couple of months ago.  I'm not sure what the displacement works out to be, but the pistons are 74mm bore.  Now all I need is a spare engine...

Ciao,

I bought vfroem's spare RC46 TTS kit a couple of months ago.  I'm not sure what the displacement works out to be, but the pistons are 74mm bore.  Now all I need is a spare engine...

Ciao,

That would also work out to 825ccs. Cbr929s are 74mm bore.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

• Member Contributer
On 1/7/2017 at 2:21 PM, CandyRedRC46 said:

That would also work out to 825ccs. Cbr929s are 74mm bore.

I see.  Are the TTS pistons the same as the 929 pistons?

I really wanted a Dynamo Humm 870cc kit, but that magic appears to have vanished with the magician...

Ciao,

candyred46 thanks for the insight as to what others and yourself have tried and what works.

I have purchased an airbox and throttle bodies off a wrecked 14 model, with the intention of building a custom airbox and doing some doctoring on the throttle bodies.

why ? well its a step in the direction of forced induction of course.

you say you bored the throttle bodies out to 38mm.

did this include making new throttle plates etc so the entire throttle body increased in area ? just a curiosity.

as for the cam regrind, where would I find the profile, or a company that would do this for me should I send them a set?

thanks all.

For the throttle bodies, I found a company called

www.maxbore.com

The throttle bodies originally had 36 mm plates and tapered to a 32mm x 35mm exit. Maxbore bored them 38mm the whole way through, put in new 38mm plates, and thinned out the shaft/screws etc...

They even bored my boots 38mm through. This will require you to match the intake ports. (it would actually be more beneficial to have the ports at 38.5-39mm to introduce an anti reversion step).

For the cam work, you should send a pm to Mohawk and Highsidenz as I don't have any experience there.

candyred46 thanks for the insight as to what others and yourself have tried and what works.
I have purchased an airbox and throttle bodies off a wrecked 14 model, with the intention of building a custom airbox and doing some doctoring on the throttle bodies.
why ? well its a step in the direction of forced induction of course.
you say you bored the throttle bodies out to 38mm.
did this include making new throttle plates etc so the entire throttle body increased in area ? just a curiosity.

as for the cam regrind, where would I find the profile, or a company that would do this for me should I send them a set?

thanks all.

What kind of forced induction are you planning?

much appreciated candyred46 as well as the rest of you that have helped. 

side note- its good to see a bunch of lads be so helpful.

I had to rebuild, overbore and bore dowel a wrx motor not too long ago,

I expected the net to be a glorious place filled with info, pictures and lessons.

turns out all I found was a bunch of less then charitable characters all speaking of their awsomness. was kinda disheartening.

On another side note- I restored a 1952 caterpillar D4 from the ground up once upon a time - there is a site called ACMOC that is full of the most polite and helpful gents you have ever come across. 

now that, is the reason you join forums. To help, and be helped.

Dyno session booked for two weeks time.

Turbo is on the books, already making sheet metal sections to cut and shut the tank to allow for piping.

2 hours ago, Jibbles said:

I had to rebuild, overbore and bore dowel a wrx motor not too long ago,

I expected the net to be a glorious place filled with info, pictures and lessons.

turns out all I found was a bunch of less then charitable characters all speaking of their awsomness. was kinda disheartening.

WRX owners aren't know for doing much more than exhaust, cobb access port, stage 2 and Vaping.

Archived