VTEC Header Tetris Help

carlitos92

• Member Contributer

I don't remember having any trouble unthreading the front headers when I took them off a couple of weeks ago, but I'm having a hell of a time getting them back in position. Bike is on its centerstand and a head lift stand. Rear wheel is off, and these are the OEM catted headers.

I'm within inches but can't get the suckers right way 'round. What am I missing?

Is the collector bolted to the underside of the bike yet?

I found that I had to very loosely fit everything, including the centre stand, before I could get everything nice and snug.

• Member Contributer
9 hours ago, Loftust said:

Is the collector bolted to the underside of the bike yet?

I found that I had to very loosely fit everything, including the centre stand, before I could get everything nice and snug.

The only exhaust component bolted to the bike in this case are the rear headers, as I did not take them off.  The centerstand has always been on the bike. 

Somehow, I pulled the front headers out through the stand fine.  Now I am trying to thread them back through (as per the service manual) but they continue to foul on things (stand, stand spring, water hose, rear suspension link, etc) as I try to rotate them into position.  Removing the EVAP canister (you may not even have these in the UK) hasn't helped.

I'll try to take some pictures tonight to see if it jogs anyone's memory.

Wow - you did great to get it out without taking the stand off! That said, I recall changing the whole system with the stand on about 10 years ago on a 5th Gen.

I'd loosen off the rear pipes to see if that helps.

• 2 months later...
  • Member Contributer

Epilogue / Comedy Bonus:

I could not get the headers threaded back through no matter how I attacked it.  I even removed the EVAP canister and anything else I could that fouled, but it was not to be.  Funny - I did not remember having that much trouble pulling them off.

At any rate, the frustrated genius in me decided to just pull the centerstand off completely, install the headers, and then put the center stand back on.  Here's your problem:

You can't get the center stand back on with the headers installed.

:goofy:

And no, I did not realize that until it was too late, and my copper exhaust gaskets at the head were crushed, all my bolts torqued, and my right foot controls bolted back in place.  Looks like I am leaving my centerstand OFF.  Weight savings, YAY!  :tongue:

• Member Contributer
6 hours ago, Loftust said:

:wink:

Saw your original post and appreciate the help, but there wasn't anything "loose" about my centerstand when I successfully pulled the headers out, nor in the service manual re-install narrative.  Maybe I just got lucky on the removal and unlucky on the re-install.  It's all good.  My bike is lighter and has more ground clearance. :beer: 

Archived