More carb/jet issues

CBVFRbikeboy

• Member Contributer

I understand the jet needles are different from back to front, but I can't find a reference that identifies which is which? I've removed mine, and two are stamped OWC, and two OWP. Trouble is, I don't know for sure they haven't been crossed up in the past? Any clues?

I also see the manual says the remove the starter jet (B in the pic), but it doesn't have a slotted head for a screwdriver. Is it a press-fit?

jets.jpg

That is the starter jet, per the manual you do not want to take those out. When i rebuilt/cleaned my 86 vfr 700 carbs i left em in. You should be able to clean em out when you pull the choke plungers though. You can run a wire through the top of the starter jet and blast it right out of the choke plunger hole.

Scroll down this thread a bit for great guides on cleaning these puppies. Makes the factory shop manual instructions look like a hayne's manual by comparison. 

This is another pretty good guide:

http://v4musclebike.com/articles/magnandy/Andy's Carb Cleaning Guide.pdf

On the picture, B is the choke jet and can't be removed...  A is the starter and slow jet. (usually size #38)

On the needles, OWC goes to carb feeding the back cilinders (1 & 3). OWP for the front..

There is also a difference between the emulsion tubes (main jet holders)... The fronts have a different hole pattern compared to the back.. (see attached picture)

Good luck..

mainjetholders-1.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

AS mentioned, the long brass choke circuit pick up tube is NOT REMOVABLE but can be rodded out using a .012" steel wire to a depth of about 30mm. Slip a tight-fitting tube over the thing and see if you can blow or suck air through it to confirm it's clear.

Archived