1992 Honda VFR750 quickly dies turns off won't start

dmaq

My first motorcycle and I was on a budget. Craigslist private buy and found this 92 Honda VFR 750 in fair shape and running pretty good. I fell in love and have been a slave to its every cough and hiccup. and lately it's starting to get over my head in my limited mechanical experience.

Right now she's stranded in suburban street neighborhood since last night when she decided to stop running.

Before I take my freshly charged battery and jumper cables and SUV running automobile to where the bike is and put in another effort of getting it started to to get the bike home, I decided I'd check in with you folks here on this site and forum... and ask a few ??'s.

3 days leading up to this the VFR was running really smooth until it started to flicker the lights and slowly lose power but before it would completely die I would pop the clutch and the bike would turn back on and continue riding just fine til I got home. did that for a few more rides until yesterday it no longer would stay on enough for me to pop back into play. so it just would turn off and there was no starting the bike.

then I tried bump starting it and it would not start.

it's at around 55k miles on it and I already have swapped out the RR once. new battery. fluids are good. not sure what else info you may need to help me out on what or how I should approach this on the best way to either get the bike started and running to get it home or just tow it home and take it slow.

the urgency is the fact that a big storm is on its way in starting possibly early morning tomorrow. so it's gonna get soaked wet.

what should I do. thanks

David Maq

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

• Member Contributer

So it sounds as though you removed the battery and brought it home to charge it . . . yes?  If you re-install and it starts, you probably have part of your answer.  If that's enough to get you home, by all means it will be better being close and preferably in a garage to do your work.  Mello Dude has a nice post on "The Drill" to go through your charging system.  A new R/R does not guarantee that you're getting proper charging - and also begs the question what made you replace the R/R in the first place.  If you do not have a voltmeter, they can be had relatively cheap at an auto parts store, Harbor Freight, etc.   After going through these steps report back your results and take it from there.

http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/index.php?/forums/topic/84719-the-drill/#comment-1050867

Archived