Everything else works . . . tach is dead!

mk2davis

• Member Contributer

About a month ago a lovely young lady helped me customize some bodywork (clutch side) with her Prius.  After doing some creative ABS bodywork, everything is fine except my tach doesn't work.  When I say everything else is fine, I mean solid voltage at the battery (onboard voltmeter reading 14.2-14.3 as always), no FI light, speedo works, fuel gauge works, blinkers, haven't tested the horn yet, so far (and this is after about 12 miles of errands) everything is behaving as expected.  Except . . . the tach.  It would jump around under deceleration, would be pretty solid under acceleration.  This was first the first few miles.  After that, it to would stay at 0.  It did have a bit of activity at the end of my journey for a few seconds.  A bump lured it into action for a brief moment, and then back to zero.

It acts for the all the world like I have a bad tach cable.  But I don't have any tach cable.  So I'm guessing a pinched and unhappy wire?  What should I be looking for?  Color and location.

Oh, and no pressure, tomorrow I'm riding to SLO, and then up to Monterey, and then Sacremento, and then home.  Rain is in the forecast, so speeds will be "prudent", but it would be nice to have things working right.  I travel with butt connectors and strippers, so any help any time is appreciated.

• Member Contributer
55 minutes ago, mk2davis said:

I travel with butt connectors and strippers, so any help any time is appreciated.

I have no suggest for your tach, but I like what you carry with you. Never a dull  moment I'm sure!

I have no suggest for your tach, but I like what you carry with you. Never a dull  moment I'm sure!

Hahaha...

I like to carry strippers w their butt connected to the pillion seat when I get the chance too!

• Member Contributer

If your VFR is a 6th gen (I can't tell using Tapatalk) then I would check the plastic connector that generates the tack pulse. They are subject to wear and tear and I have had to replace mine in the past. It is cheap and easy to do. You will find it located on the left side near the drive sprocket. Maybe during you Prius experience it got damaged? All I know is the symptoms you described match what mine was doing before I replaced it.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

• Member Contributer

Vanion2:

I do in fact have a 6th gen.  I should have stated that previously.  I will look and see what I can see, thanks for the guidance

I have had very similar problem with tach in the past - problem was in control panel connector: after maintenance I'm not fully connected it and after few weeks my tach started to jumping around or showing 0 while riding.

Archived