1983 VF750F

mordantly

A little slow to start my thread. Bought a 1983 VF750F. No title for the 83 frame. Have title and bits swapped into 1985 VF700F frame.

Engine has custom ground cams

Yoshimura "muffler"

Custom? 4-1 headers

Aftermarket ignition.. Unknown rev limit status

CBR 17s unknown year

Aria pistons.. Unknown bore, dispacement, comp ratio

One or two track days in early 2000 on race built motor

Dyno chart.. 126HP

Stainless brakes lines

Spare stock 1983 VF750F engine

I have converted to all balls tapered

New fork seals/paint

3 caliper piston rebuilds

SS hardware for forks axles, rotors, rear sprocket and rotor

TrailTech Vapor gauge cluster

Bought her 21 April 2016. The Yoshi is only a cone completely open with those stamped areas for minimal back pressure. It is VERY loud. The test ride with only a tach, hit approx 120mph according to neighbor bike speedo. Front piston dragged severely but not known at that time. Definitely has 100+ hp. Not that it can touch my 2002 ZX9R's 144HP, but impressive!

20160421_212010~01.jpg

20160421_212021~01.jpg

20160421_212124~01.jpg

20160421_212130~01.jpg

20160421_212137~01.jpg

During operation thermostat and radiator hoses I have discovered the fact that the lower radiator is right on top of the oil filter. I am not going to remove the radiator every 6 weeks to change the filter. Hmmm.

You don't have to remove the lower radiator  - just remove the mounting bolts and let it hang while you get at the filter. No problem.

I still remember my 1984 VF750F. It had a ton of little issues that drove me to distraction. For example, the manual says that you have to split the cases to replace a leaky clutch pushrod seal. WRONG! And that awful pneumatic shock. Ugh!

BUT there are relatively inexpensive fixes and expedient work-arounds for a lot of the issues. I may even have some parts lying around. Enjoy!.

EDIT: I see yours doesn't have the stock shock. Good.

At 500 to 700 miles per week, I rack up oil changes fast. Cars go up to 5k on oil. All my motorcycles get oil and filter close to 3k as practical.. I see what you mean about the bracket. Mine has 3 on the upper and one on lower 4 in fans so it is more fiddly. Probably delete the lower.

In the 8 months since I took the front calipers off for rebuild, I have lost or incorrectly installed the left TRAC arm. See the bushing in the caliper bolt is longer than the bushing in the TRAC hole of fork. Both bolts bottomed out with link still floppy in addition to not parallel.

Anybody have a clear photo of the link?

20161230_135450~02.jpg

Could also be that the axle is in from the wrong side... Axle, according the schematics goes in from the speedo side.. Nut/bushing should be on the right side of the bike.. Checked that ?? My VF is currently in storage. Could check and shoot some pics later this week..

I zoomed in on one of the pics. and this came out...

Brake plate.jpg

Although unknown cbr 17s with rotors and sprocket, stock front axle and brakes. Am following fsm for axle torque. Assured axle installed correctly. Right leg is torqued. Left TRAC leg controls width vs caliper mount to rotor clearance. Flange appears to go towards rotor. What are the other two items marked? Switched bushings and bolts torque down correctly now.

IMG_20170104_193245.jpg

• Member Contributer

Looks like a Dymag front wheel and a CBR 600/900 rear wheel.  Raask rearsets.  Fox Twin Clicker shock.  Telefix Cipons

Very cool bike.

• Member Contributer

Could you have a look to see if the front rim is in fact from a CBR?

I would be very interested in some pics of your front end if it is.

Thanks

Front is 3 distinct spokes and deep offset wheel bearings. The braking rotors and rear sprocket part numbers all turned up nothing when searching. Apparantly all items discontinued... Or numbers stamped have to cross to something. All calipers and mounts are stock 1983 VF issue.

20170109_203432~01.jpg

20170109_203530~01.jpg

• Member Contributer

Thanks for the pics. The front rim, as Captain 80's noted, does appear to be a Dymag, lucky you! I'll start to look at CBR front rims to see what would work best.

You have a very interesting 83 Vf750F. I 'll look forward to further posts.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Front calipers fully rebuilt.. Broke the anti-dive bolt before 27 ft-lb could be attained. Now a helicoil is required to fix. Had visions of bleeding brakes and filling forks with oil and front end would be done. Ugh. Replaced all rubber in coolant hard lines but only ordered 1 of the orings for the covers under carbs. New coolant hoses, with in-line sender for my trail tech in upper hose.

Thermostat housing was corroded so ordered a great condition used one plus tail lense with harness and complete harness. My wiring harness had the wires for tail light cut out at least a foot back. Cleaning and inspecting the harness presently.

Archived