Brakes Binding

StubyDoo

Every time I wash the bike the brakes bind on.  This only happens after washing it, does any one else have this problem?  Does anyone know what causes it and how to stop it.

If you park it the rotors will rust. Ride it to dry it!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Heard of it on cars, but never happened on any vehicle of mine.  Most claim it is solved by driving a little after washing to let the brakes heat and dry.  Curious if you put it away right after washing?  I typically don't ride mine after washing; but I generally blow dry the bike and then wipe it completely dry including rolling the wheels and drying them (including rotors) the best I can.  I use my center stand to roll the rear, and a little Harbor Freight Motorcycle Wheel Cleaning Stand to roll the front easily.  Tip:  Position the stand behind the front wheel before raising on the center stand.  The front wheel will often land perfectly on the stand, or you might have to kick the stand a time or two.

One thing I have noticed on a car is that the brakes can have a grinding sound when they have been sitting unused in a humid environment for some time--just happened last week after my car had been sitting in a humid parking garage at a cruise port for 8 days.  So I do believe the theory.

Also, be careful about spraying water into them.  I think the manual (or common knowledge?) states to not spray water directly into the brake calipers.

• Member Contributer
7 hours ago, StubyDoo said:

Every time I wash the bike the brakes bind on.  This only happens after washing it, does any one else have this problem?  Does anyone know what causes it and how to stop it.

Hi StubyDoo.

Are you saying both front and rear brakes do this? The only issue I've had, and this is exactly the same with my car, is that disc rotors will rapidly build up a surface rust if left in a wet state and the first application after this can be noticeably squeely/grinding sounding as the rust is removed by the pads. It's nothing to worry about. And don't worry about water around the brakes, they are designed to cope with flooding rain, wet dirty roads and washing.

Note that  a couple of 8th gen owners have experienced front calliper piston severe pitting effects,  you can visually inspect the pistons yourself to see if you have this issue, just a close look at the exposed section of piston will show if you have this issue, see the link below.

Cheers.

Grum.

It's very normal here in the UK in the winter. Honda Fit sintered metal brake pads and when they combine with water and salt from our roads they bind to the discs. As mentioned above, drying the discs and pads as best you can is the only solution. I don't often want to ride the bike after washing it so I spray brake cleaner into the pads to remove as much water as possible. It helps but isn't foolproof.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I've just checked it and the rear is fine but the fronts are binding with no rust on the rotors. This time I can turn the wheel but it has been locked on solid where I can only move it with the engine to free them. I've never know this on any other bike and I've had a few.

i had this same problem. were the front pads ad locked up. only way to free them was to ride the bike just to free them. 

but now i use the scott oil winter protect stuff on the lower half of my bike so far so good no more binding 

5 minutes ago, mrmessy800 said:

i had this same problem. were the front pads ad locked up. only way to free them was to ride the bike just to free them. 

but now i use the scott oil winter protect stuff on the lower half of my bike so far so good no more binding 

I have some Scottoil FS365 in the garage. Do you just apply it after washing to stop the brakes sticking or is there a special trick to it.

5 hours ago, StubyDoo said:

I have some Scottoil FS365 in the garage. Do you just apply it after washing to stop the brakes sticking or is there a special trick to it.

i just gave my bike a good wash when i had time and the day light. then i just spray it all on the lower half. after every time i take it out then recoat. 

but im shure there are instructions on the back of fs365.

so far so good the last 2 months all ok. and im a blood biker so i do use my bike. 

On 29/12/2016 at 3:54 PM, StubyDoo said:

Christ no, don't get FS365 on your pads . They won't bind but they won't stop you either

15 hours ago, vtwindr said:

Christ no, don't get FS365 on your pads . They won't bind but they won't stop you either

Fs365 is water based so will burn off unlike oil based corrosion inhibitors but still prudent not to put anything on the pads.

Archived