HID Latching Relay

RC51Nick

Question

• Member Contributer

I have a 2007 RWB that has Tightwad's HID kit installed on it.  Previous owner installed the kit.  Does anyone know where I can get ahold of the latching and delay relays that were part of this kit?  Tightwad no longer has them on his "Wire my Bike" web site and I have not been able to get ahold of him or Coderighter (who made the relays for this kit).  When I bought the bike the latching relay was bad in it and luckily I was able to replace it back in 2014.  I'm afraid I may lose another relay and have the lighting system dead in the water due to no availability of parts.  Any luck with relays on being able to put me in contact with Coderighter would be GREATLY appreciated.

Nick

13 answers to this question

• Member Contributer
8 hours ago, RC51Nick said:

I have a 2007 RWB that has Tightwad's HID kit installed on it.  Previous owner installed the kit.  Does anyone know where I can get ahold of the latching and delay relays that were part of this kit?  Tightwad no longer has them on his "Wire my Bike" web site and I have not been able to get ahold of him or Coderighter (who made the relays for this kit).  When I bought the bike the latching relay was bad in it and luckily I was able to replace it back in 2014.  I'm afraid I may lose another relay and have the lighting system dead in the water due to no availability of parts.  Any luck with relays on being able to put me in contact with Coderighter would be GREATLY appreciated.

Nick

Nick,

What does the latching and delay relay do? I have installed HID projector lights on my 2002 and don't have these items? Both sets of projector lights come on at startup and apart from having to upgrade my stator and flywheel (I had the smaller generator that was upgraded by Honda after my bike was manufactured in 2002) I have had no issues? With bike running I have a steady 14.2 volts

image.jpeg

• Member Contributer

This kit does only has low beams as HID's.  The latching relay delays the firing of the 1st light util after the bike is started and then there is a 5 second delay before the other light fires off.

• Member Contributer

I have a never installed Tightwad latching relay right here! But I'm in Canada and you may be best off buying in the USA...

It's a JatronX Model LR-13.5

• Member Contributer
6 hours ago, digitallyhip said:

I have a never installed Tightwad latching relay right here! But I'm in Canada and you may be best off buying in the USA...

It's a JatronX Model LR-13.5

Unfortunately the web site to purchase this is no longer up.  If you have one of those HID kits that tightwad sold on here and want to part with the relays I'd be interested in buying them.  Both the latching and delay to keep as spares since I'm having one hell of a time finding more of them.

• Member Contributer

After reading more into HID voltage drop issues and how it can reduce the life of HID bulbs I will be fitting a latching relay to my lights. Having looked at latching relays on the web I think I can fit a normal 40 amp 5 pin relay with some diodes and make it into a latching relay. I won't be worrying about fitting a delay timer as my electrical system can handle all the lights switching on at once, as it does now. I intend to use the horn circuit to send a pulse to the relay to energise it and switch the lights on once the bike has started i.e. Start bike and after a few seconds operate the horn to switch on the lights.  On turning off the ignition the relay will deenergise and open the relay as the power to the lights is on a switched circuit.

I am away on business for the next two weeks but once I have installed it I will let you know how it goes and give you the wiring diagram

• Member Contributer
On 12/27/2016 at 6:09 PM, RC51Nick said:

Unfortunately the web site to purchase this is no longer up.  If you have one of those HID kits that tightwad sold on here and want to part with the relays I'd be interested in buying them.  Both the latching and delay to keep as spares since I'm having one hell of a time finding more of them.

I don't have the second relay (another project), but am willing to sell the latching relay. I'm in Canada and don't know what the relay is worth. Can you make me an offer and I'll add real shipping cost to it?

• Member Contributer
On 12/28/2016 at 2:09 AM, RC51Nick said:

I had a poke around, and it looks like the manufacturer, Jatronx LLC, is no longer in business.  The owner appears to be/have been a 6th gen owner and works/worked for an AV company in Seattle, so you could contact him and ask if he had any remaining stock if you were so inclined...

Ciao,

• Member Contributer

Thanks JZH.   I did send an email to the AV company to see if they could forward my contact information to him.  So far nothing.  Appreciate the info though.

• Member Contributer

Nick,

Just finished the mod on making up a latching relay for my HID lights.  See my wiring diagram to modify a standard 12V 40A 5 Pin Double Contact Relay to a latching relay

20170105_114443.jpg

Video of lights working below

• Member Contributer

That's pretty cool....  If I can't find any I'll try making that mod.  Can you do something similar to make a delay relay?  My current setup fires the left low beam after voltage sees 13V and then 5 sec later the right low beam fires.

Thanks again,

Nick

• Member Contributer

Nick,

If you want to add a delay for one set of HIDs to switch on after the first set of HIDs add a delay timer onto the 12V (+) output supply feed 87 and the use the 12V (+) output supply feed 87b to activate the relay.   This relay will work. https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Automotive-12V-5-Pin-Time-Delay-Relay-SPDT-10-second-delay/32446386860.html?spm=2114.40010208.4.22.JNOiSQ

If you go to the link and scroll down there is a wiring diagram for the delay relay. To wire in take a feed from output of latching relay 87b to 86+ of delay relay. Earth output 85- of delay relay. Take output of latching relay 87 and connect to 87 of delay relay. Connect output 30 of delay relay to HID. This relay has a 10 sec delay.

hope this helps.

Archived