5 lug wheel compatibility

KevCarver

Question

• Member Contributer

Is there anyone in VFRD-land that can tell me for sure if the bolt pattern between the two 5 lug wheels is compatible? That would be the 5 lug 2014+ 800 axle and the the 5 lug 1200. And also if the wire spoke 1200X wheel is the same lug spacing as the regular cast VFR1200.

Hey just for fun, is the 2014+ VFR800 swingarm the same as the VFR800X?

• Member Contributer
7 hours ago, KevCarver said:

Is there anyone in VFRD-land that can tell me for sure if the bolt pattern between the two 5 lug wheels is compatible? That would be the 5 lug 2014+ 800 axle and the the 5 lug 1200. And also if the wire spoke 1200X wheel is the same lug spacing as the regular cast VFR1200.

Hey just for fun, is the 2014+ VFR800 swingarm the same as the VFR800X?

Kev, I can go see if my '15 800X rear wheel fits my '14 1200F.....will that answer your first question?

I'm afraid I don't have an 800F to check the SSA against.

• Member Contributer

Yes, that would be great! It sure looks like the 800 X and F use the same rear wheel and possibly swing arm.

I'd be interested in seeing if the bolt pattern and offset are the same on both 5 lug wheels. If it works out, I'm hoping to fit a 1200X spoked rear on an 800 swing arm. Since it's a skinnier tire, there shouldn't any issue with tire rub. With your 1200F 190 rear, it likely will. I think I read someone had tried a 190 on the standard 800 wheel and it was rubbing the arm unless the eccentric was adjusted to a specific degree.

So if you could try both wheels on the other and look for brake rotor/caliper clearance and anything else you might think would be an issue?

Thanks!

Rear wheel and rim F (fiche says Type 1)

42650-MJM-305ZA

The X talks of TYpe 2

42650-MJM-D60ZA

Only the last group of digits differs so I assume they are the same. They sure look identical. Appears to be a colour option difference.

This, on part reference numbers:

"All parts on a Honda motorcycle have a unique part number. Honda divides parts into two broad categories, General Parts and Standard Parts. General parts are those unique to Honda, such as valves, pistons, gas tank etc. Standard parts are parts that follow universal standards, such as nuts, bolts and such.

General Parts

General parts have a part number divided into 3 sections, such as 22201-166-000 (clutch friction plate for the TL125).

• The first string of digits (22201-XXX-XXX) indicates the Honda function and component number for this part. For example, there are several different part numbers for the TL clutch friction plate, all sharing funtion/component number 22201. Clutch steel plates have f/c code 22311, indicating same function but different component.

• The second string of digits (XXXXX-166-XXX) is the product code, also known as Parts Classification Number in hondaspeak. This is the number that indicates the product (motorcycle) where this particular part was first used. See below for a complete listing of older Honda product codes. 166 indicates that the TL clutch friction plates where first used in Honda MB5 motorcycle. Honda often lists several different part numbers for the same part, indicating slight differences in the part, such as different supplier etc. For example there are four different part numbers listed for the clutch friction plates.

All TL125 models (1973 K, 1974 K1, 1975 K2 and 1976 S) share the product code 355. All General parts having a different product code are "recycled" from other Honda models. Only parts with code 355 were originally designed for the TL125, but may have been used in later Honda models. The product code is probably the most interesting portion of the part number when trying to determine interchangeability of Honda parts between various models.

• The third string of digits (XXXXX-XXX-000) is the Classification Number. I believe it is mostly used to indicate various suppliers or improvements for the same part. Also any potential color code is tacked at the end of the classification number as digits (letters) 4 & 5."

Just now, Skids said:

Kev, I can go see if my '15 800X rear wheel fits my '14 1200F.....will that answer your first question?

I'm afraid I don't have an 800F to check the SSA against.

putting the 1200

Other way round SKids... try fitting the 1200 spoker to the 800... that's Carver's ultimate mission. The other way your only really confirming lug spacing... not the other clearance and offset issues.

• Member Contributer

Wow, that was a lot of stuff! Thanks! I was just about to ask if someone could point me to some Euro parts fiche since we don't have the 800X here.

Found a single 1200X rim in Germany (Must be good if it comes from Germany! LOL!) that is about 70% off retail price. 

• Member Contributer

Nah, I see now, it's the 1200X rim you're looking to fit into an 800. I don't have the 1200x CrossTOURER, I have the 800X CrossRUNNER.

I can check lug fitment though.

Just let me know if you want me to do that.

• Member Contributer

Yeah, go ahead and see if the bolt patterns match up. I was assuming the 1200 uses the same hub on both bikes, so that part should be the same as yours. 

• Member Contributer
2 hours ago, KevCarver said:

Yeah, go ahead and see if the bolt patterns match up. I was assuming the 1200 uses the same hub on both bikes, so that part should be the same as yours. 

Ok, it'll be tomorrow now as it's late here.

But you are assuming the 1200F and the 1200X have the same rear hub, despite them having different rim sizes. I guess that's reasonable as they are likely to have the same swing arm & wheel mount cos that's a lot more expensive to change whereas mating a different rim to the same hub would be cheaper.

• Member Contributer

No.

The 1200F/800X wheels are not inter-changeable. Whilst they may each have 5 mounting lugs, their diameter spacing is a lot different, with the 1200 being approximately 3cm smaller diameter than the 800, which is surprising as I would have thought the 1200 would have the larger diameter mounts.

And the 1200 tyre catches on the swing arm as well as the exhaust, though the smaller 1200X tyre will have greater clearance.

Sorry I didn't have a ruler to show you this distances in the pictures. First shot is 800 wheel (dark), 2nd shot is 1200 wheel (silver).

IMAG0813.jpg

IMAG0814.jpg

On 28/12/2016 at 11:22 PM, KevCarver said:

Thanks so much! Great info, and I think we may have a work-around now that we know the issue.

I've been looking into this very issue and disappointed to find the 1200s PCD is not the same as the 8th Gen 800.

What is the work-around to which you refer? How do you think you could get the 1200X wheel on the 800?

• Member Contributer
11 hours ago, BiKenG said:

I've been looking into this very issue and disappointed to find the 1200s PCD is not the same as the 8th Gen 800.

What is the work-around to which you refer? How do you think you could get the 1200X wheel on the 800?

Didn't work out

2 hours ago, KevCarver said:

Didn't work out

What did you try and what didn't work?

I was thinking the 8th Gen axle would be a good basis for modification to obtain the right PCD? At least it should be the right basic shape.

BTW, what is the actual PCD of the 8th Gen 800s? I can measure it for the 1200, but anyone know what it is on this 800?

• Member Contributer
14 hours ago, BiKenG said:

How do you think you could get the 1200X wheel on the 800?

1200X? Did you mean the 1200F (that's what the photo is above)?

Don't know why anyone would want a spoked wheel so just wondered. 

3 hours ago, Skids said:

1200X? Did you mean the 1200F (that's what the photo is above)?

No, I meant 1200X. The rear mounting is identical on both 1200s and I thought it came up in an earlier post. Certainly it's what I'm interested in.

Don't know why anyone would want a spoked wheel so just wondered. 

Rather depends on the style of bike one is trying to achieve don't you think?

• Member Contributer
8 hours ago, BiKenG said:

What did you try and what didn't work?

I was thinking the 8th Gen axle would be a good basis for modification to obtain the right PCD? At least it should be the right basic shape.

BTW, what is the actual PCD of the 8th Gen 800s? I can measure it for the 1200, but anyone know what it is on this 800?

Tell me what you need , no problem to measure it

• Member Contributer
5 hours ago, BiKenG said:

Rather depends on the style of bike one is trying to achieve don't you think?

Irrespective of that, I STILL can't imagine why one would want a spoked wheel!  :goofy:

14 hours ago, Skids said:

Irrespective of that, I STILL can't imagine why one would want a spoked wheel!  :goofy:

Well they do have a certain style due to the way they look and that may be what is wanted for a particular bike and also spoked wheels are more robust/resilient than cast and so more suited to off/rough road use. Most Adventure bikes use spoked wheels for both these reasons.

In my case, I'm creating a scrambler style bike based on a Honda VTR with VFR SSSA and the CrossTourer spoked wheels would be ideal for both the above reasons. But chacun à son goût :-)

14 hours ago, Ghostrider1127 said:

Tell me what you need , no problem to measure it

VFR800 8th Gen rear wheel mount (5) stud PCD. If you could let me know what that is would be much appreciated.

Also, a quick question to you off topic, Do any CB1000Rs have an aluminium/alloy lower fork yoke? I've only seen steel ones, but maybe later bikes had a nicer Al one. Do you know?

• Member Contributer

The offset on the spoked wheel was very shallow as compared to any other VFR wheel. With enough time/money/machine work anything is possible. Just wasn't feasible for the project in mind. 

Archived